Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    The lack of video out is a big one, that right there is a major benefit to the TouchPad.
    Wait, you're saying the TouchPad's lack of video out is a benefit? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    android tab already does that, doesn't seem to be helping sales significantly.
    The problem with Android is the inconsistent experience you get from them. Fragmentation the cause? Probably. But Android is the nerd's OS. It is not as intuitive as iOS or webOS.
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I just don't think it's possible for hp to beat apple at their own game. They need to think of the things apple refuses to allow on their platform.

I've only come up with one way to do this so far. Install preware on all devices from the factory. Any other app will just be copied on the ipad.

Preware is something so unique to webos and its also something that apple can't replicate. Hp has a chance to own the jailbreakers' market. Then, those people do the word of mouth. They have to get people using the cards. Once people use webos, they will understand why we love it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Why buy a Dell over a Gateway? I think both are going to have what everyone wants, so, price will attract most consumers. Some will come just because of the HP Brand. Once a number of TP get out there others that don't know anything about them will buy one just cause a friend has one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Wait, you're saying the TouchPad's lack of video out is a benefit? How?
    uuuhhhhhh yeah! less is more, right? ;-)
    but the average joe doesn't care about 'jailbreaking' or anything along those lines. The average joe isn't savvy enough for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I just don't think it's possible for hp to beat apple at their own game. They need to think of the things apple refuses to allow on their platform.

I've only come up with one way to do this so far. Install preware on all devices from the factory. Any other app will just be copied on the ipad.

Preware is something so unique to webos and its also something that apple can't replicate. Hp has a chance to own the jailbreakers' market. Then, those people do the word of mouth. They have to get people using the cards. Once people use webos, they will understand why we love it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I'm almost embarrased to say it, although I'm not an average consumer, I still fall in this category (consumer). Consumers believe that "lipstick on a pig" makes it hot and sexy. They fail to read the book and judge it by its cover. Hence majority of arguments for and against the touchpad are mostly due to it's physical attributes like thickness or plastic vs metal.
    Appearance or sex appeal is not the whole package, but is major component of it. Most consumers are dumb and don't use their devices to its full potential, let alone what its for. For example take a smartphone, do most consumers us the 'smart' or 'phone' aspect of the device? No, they're either texting, playing some game, running some fart, soundboard, or saber app. Forget productivity it's all about social status, no one wants to be a geek/nerd.
    In today's society where reality shows reign supreme, it wouldn't hurt to add some sexy hype.

Me personally, I don't care to be called a geek or nerd. I just don't wanna be Will Farrell's character in the wedding crashers no aspirations, a deadbeat freeloader, living at home taking advantage of mom. America is falling as is. Look at the majority running for congress. Is this the best America has to offer. Will leave that for a different discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    uuuhhhhhh yeah! less is more, right? ;-)
    No: WWDC 2011: Firemint announces Real Racing 2 HD with AirPlay | Appletell
    That just looks really lame. Sorry. Holding up an ipad like a steering wheel? Lol!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    That just looks really lame. Sorry. Holding up an ipad like a steering wheel? Lol!!
    Ahh...but at least they can do it. I'd love to have Airplay features on my Touchpad now or later. Streaming is simply part of that mindset, why can they do and the Touchpad cannot? I don't like HP following Apple simply because they have to establish and innovate on their own, but everyone follows apple and if you don't at least provide something similar or better I see it hard winning or being more then 3rd place.

Android is crap and selling like **** because their tablet platform never came together. Doesn't mean Google doesn't have something up their sleeve, but they are losing Tablet Mindshare left and right and honestly have only been successful so far in the mobile arena. It all comes down to the race, who can innovate fast, produce tech people want, and share in that huge market even Apple hasn't cracked into. Sorli...
    however I think HP has the right approach in this race (market) is just getting started and having a longer term plan with the webos ecosystem could be a big winner. Let's all hope the short term stuff will keep HP in the game long enough. I think it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. While I plan on buying a Touchpad, I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy, what is the Touchpad bringing to the table that you just can't get on an iPad?
    I don't think the average consumer cares much about operating systems. Not to be debbie downer but if you mean what would make them pick the Touchpad in it's current incarnation over the ipad 2 i would say that i can't think of much. I'm an average consumer. I'm not concerned about sdks, fights between different operating systems, cpu speed or amounts of ram, etc. To this day i don't know the difference between, and don't care about the difference between sdk and pdk and mojo apps. If i wanted a tablet, which i don't, i'd get an ipad 2.

that doesn't mean i don't think they could, in time, create something that could pull customers but i think that's not this touchpad or this ecosystem. But maybe there is much more to it then what i know now. Maybe we'll see tons more the day it's released. I just wouldn't go with the touchpad as my first choice.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/13/2011 at 02:02 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    I'm almost embarrased to say it, although I'm not an average consumer, I still fall in this category (consumer). Consumers believe that "lipstick on a pig" makes it hot and sexy. They fail to read the book and judge it by its cover. Hence majority of arguments for and against the touchpad are mostly due to it's physical attributes like thickness or plastic vs metal.
    Appearance or sex appeal is not the whole package, but is major component of it. Most consumers are dumb and don't use their devices to its full potential, let alone what its for. For example take a smartphone, do most consumers us the 'smart' or 'phone' aspect of the device? No, they're either texting, playing some game, running some fart, soundboard, or saber app. Forget productivity it's all about social status, no one wants to be a geek/nerd.
    In today's society where reality shows reign supreme, it wouldn't hurt to add some sexy hype.

Me personally, I don't care to be called a geek or nerd. I just don't wanna be Will Farrell's character in the wedding crashers no aspirations, a deadbeat freeloader, living at home taking advantage of mom. America is falling as is. Look at the majority running for congress. Is this the best America has to offer. Will leave that for a different discussion.

You made me lol because you sir, are referring to Step Brothers, not Wedding Crashers lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fubar65 View Post
    You made me lol because you sir, are referring to Step Brothers, not Wedding Crashers lol.
    Nope, he meant Wedding Crashers: Chazz Reinhold (Character)
    Nope, he meant Wedding Crashers: Chazz Reinhold (Character)
    Right on. "Ma the meatloaf!"
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Right on. "Ma the meatloaf!"
    Lol. I so need to re-watch that movie. Hilarious. Forgot all about the Will Ferrell's role in that movie.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Lol. I so need to re-watch that movie. Hilarious. Forgot all about the Will Ferrell's role in that movie.
    As did I apparently lol. My bad, I guess will farrel is only good at playing a stay at home son in movies.
    Every time I've been in a Best Buy store, far more people are in the PC computer section than are in the Apple section. That alone means a lot more people will be able to compare TouchPad versus the Android tablets in the area. With such a stand out display, people will notice it, for sure. That alone will give it a leg up because anyone touching and using the TouchPad and comparing it only to the experience of Android is likely going to choose the TouchPad unless they already love Android (who really loves it?).

I don't know if the iPad is locked up under glass at Best Buy, but retailers like Walmart and Target have it sitting behind glass showing a demo. If the TouchPad can actually be touched and used, people will be more likely to buy something they can actually try out, than something they can't.

In my opinion, the biggest thing required for the TouchPad is to simply get it shown to as many people as possible. Making it stand out is big. Having commercials all over the place is big. Having people actually know your product exists and seeing demonstrations of capabilities that you claim the others don't provide, puts that seed of "want" in consumers' minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    That alone will give it a leg up because anyone touching and using the TouchPad and comparing it only to the experience of Android is likely going to choose the TouchPad unless they already love Android (who really loves it?).
    That right there. Almost all webOS users I've met love webOS even if they have beef with certain things (mostly the app situation). With very very few exceptions, most Android users I've met use Android 'because it gets the job done'.
    WebOS as it is now is wonderful in concept but often flawed while Android is merely adequate but at least solid about it.

There is nothing lovable about Android except for its cover of openness (although that may go away soon if Google exec quips are any indication) and its cute mascot. Everything about webOS is loveable except for its lack of long-tail apps (and whatever the case may be with the average user having 20 apps, it IS fun to be able to download and later in the day discard a nonsensical app that's good for nothing except having short-lived fun).
  20. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    They need to enter this market by beating the fruitcompany at the price point ! Or offer some awesome accessory deals --- its IMPERATIVE that HP get in this game quickly and allow its awesome product to make more followers. Lower price is key, even if they have to give some on margin initially ~
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast