Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that the date is released and all (yay!) the price however is unattractive.
    $500 for a 16gb? and $600 for a 32gb? I love WebOS but I'm not too happy about the pricing.

Didn't they mention something about students discounts or whatever? I think I read it here somewhere.

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!
    An 'education discount' like Apple has on all their products would be really nice!

I've had a lot of students buy Macs because of that discount (even though it is only $100 off a $1000 computer). Apple gives students (and teachers) $100 off plus a free iPod Touch.

HP should give $100 off a laptop and a free Veer or $50 off a TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    My employer has an EPP with HP. I'm going to log in on the 19th to see what type of discount i'm offered on the touchpad for pre order.
    HP Academy. It offers discounts on almost everything in stock. However, as of right now it does not apply to the Veer. So I would imagine that initially there will be no discounts. I'd recommend waiting until their Labor Day sale.
    There will be developer pricing available - what better incentive to write an app. Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by mivok View Post
    There will be developer pricing available - what better incentive to write an app.
    developer pricing, A K A, $100 off.

better incentive? Write an app that actually makes money.

HP should focus on expanding market. When there are 10 million users out there, apps will come.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    developer pricing, A K A, $100 off.

better incentive? Write an app that actually makes money.

HP should focus on expanding market. When there are 10 million users out there, apps will come.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of $200 off for developers. Considering the Pre2 coupon was for $200 dollars off, I would expect something similar for the Touchpad.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slusmiles View Post
    My employer has an EPP with HP. I'm going to log in on the 19th to see what type of discount i'm offered on the touchpad for pre order.
    My employer does as well. When I went to the Touchpad in the EPP program, it did not show a discount. I sent an e-mail to inquire about the EPP discount & the response I got was they didn't think the TouchPad would be included in the program.

>>>Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Sales Center.

I am pleased to hear that you are interested with the HP Touchpad, since it is one of the top of the line item that HP has. XXXX, I do not think it will be qualified for the EPP program discount<<<

She did go on to say, for better info to call the HP Sales Center 866-221-4553, 7AM-2AM. I just called and the Rep says he thinks, like all other devices, it should be included, but they have no information yet.

To be fair, Apple, on their iPad 2, 16 & 32G EPP, only gives me 2% which equates to only $10 & 12 respectively. Compare this to their MacBook Air, where there is a 7% markdown.

Anyway, that was the update as of 5 minutes ago when I called the HP Sales Center.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    My EPP is showing the 32GB marked down from $599 to 593.99. Not the incentive I was hoping for. I did get a $10 coupon for signing up for the EPP so I'll use that to buy the case along with ebates.com so I can get an extra 3% back. I'll just pre order from my small business contact on the 19th. I've never been an early adopter. I'm just concerned the price will drop significantly in three months and I'll regret purchasing so soon. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mivok View Post
    There will be developer pricing available - what better incentive to write an app. Twitter
    I've sent a message to a couple of the HP representatives that I've been in contact with regarding a discount on the TouchPad for developers. I have just received a message from one of them:

"I'd be happy test out your .ipks now, and will keep you posted as promotions around the TouchPad go live. Looking forward to seeing your apps!"

Edit:
    I missed this when reading the email the first time:
    "-- Sent from my HP TouchPad"
    Last edited by bhughes719; 06/12/2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Extra info
    i spoke with an HP rep many months ago who said it will be offered through the HP Academy. not sure about discounts though.

EDIT:

Here's the discount in the HP Academy store... I hope its temp and will be updated. if not, then that discount is a joke.

Last edited by blackfireball5; 06/12/2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Here's the discount in the HP Academy store... I hope its temp and will be updated. if not, then that discount is a joke.
    Just an FYI. Here are the iPad prices with their education discount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What about if you go to the SMB site and try to get a discount? I sent email regarding this and waiting to hear back from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of $200 off for developers. Considering the Pre2 coupon was for $200 dollars off, I would expect something similar for the Touchpad.
    IIRC isn't it $200 off the Veer too? (this is just off the top of my head)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by slusmiles View Post
    My EPP is showing the 32GB marked down from $599 to 593.99. Not the incentive I was hoping for. I did get a $10 coupon for signing up for the EPP so I'll use that to buy the case along with ebates.com so I can get an extra 3% back. I'll just pre order from my small business contact on the 19th. I've never been an early adopter. I'm just concerned the price will drop significantly in three months and I'll regret purchasing so soon. Oh well.
    I show the same thing under my EPP. So I will be getting the RZ points, $15 in Gift cards from it. Woo...plus, I will be redeeming a $15 gift card. And putting some if it (if they will let me) on a pre-paid card that I got as a rebate. Discounts galore. Alright, not real discounts, but they make me feel better about it.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    IIRC isn't it $200 off the Veer too? (this is just off the top of my head)
    Veer is $450 dollars unlocked from AT&T and the price is $280 bucks for a locked AT&T phone from HP with the developer discount. Discount of $170 for Veer ($450) and $200 for Pre 2 ($450). Considering that the Touchpad starts at $500, we would at least expect a $200 developer discount which HP is going to explain around the launch day of the tablet.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I think we will soon find deals on TouchPad through 3rd party retailers.

Just last week, RIM Playbook was offered with a sizable 15+% discount on eBay, and today
    I saw Acer Iconia 10.1 16GB offered on ebay for $379 NIB.
    Acer Iconita Tab A500-10S!6u 10.1" 16GB Android 3.0 | eBay
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    So I will be getting the RZ points, $15 in Gift cards from it.
    Can you share how you got this -and what exactly are "RZ points"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Can you share how you got this -and what exactly are "RZ points"?
    I assume he is talking about Reward Zone Points from Best Buy. You get $5 store credits for every so many points you earn.
    anyone knows what kind of discount do HP employees get? HP has over 300K employees, Purchases from employees alone probably can probably generate 100K TouchPad sales.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast