Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    More "usable" for NOT watching movies.
    For your info: computer CRT terminal Aspect Ratio is 5:4 (e.g.: VGA at 640x480). Aspect Ratio of 4:3 is close to that of paper, which is what traditionally many people use computer for, creating reports for printing on paper.
    As for "popular" margin of 1" top & bottom, 1 1/2" left & right, that was just the default of MS Word for 72 characters per line of Times New Roman 12 point. Many people just don't change the default margins, font or font weight.

If video is the ONLY reason you get a TouchPad, then I agree it's not a very useful display for you. However for other usages, it is more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    More "usable" for NOT watching movies.
    For your info: computer CRT terminal Aspect Ratio is 5:4 (e.g.: VGA at 640x480).

640/480 comes out to 1.33 on my calculator, not 1.25...

As for "popular" margin of 1" top & bottom, 1 1/2" left & right, that was just the default of MS Word for 72 characters per line of Times New Roman 12 point. Many people just don't change the default margins, font or font weight.
    Yeah, I know. Thus the reality that most documents have spacing that maximizes the print area on a 1.5 aspect screen, which is what the androids get after the 80 pixel notification bar at the bottom.

If video is the ONLY reason you get a TouchPad, then I agree it's not a very useful display for you. However for other usages, it is more useful.
    I explained my opinion why I think 4:3 is less than ideal for media, websurfing, documents, text entry and email. If you donít want to do *those* things on a tablet, then perhaps I would agree with you that a 4:3 ratio might be a better choice.

-Suntan
    I have used both aspect ratios (xoom and ipad), and the widescreen slates are virtually unusable in portrait mode. They feel very awkward and the text is far to small (even when cropping the margins, the pages still don't fit). Video is not my prime use, or really much of any use. My biggest uses for my tablet are pdf annotation, web browsing, light document editing and email.

Documents are much larger and easier to read and annotate on the iPad than on the xoom, in portrait. Of course in landscape, if you really like scrolling, the xoom has larger text. And with Goodreader, i can crop out the white spaces if I want, and the text fills the whole screen fine (and I have done this with all kinds of documents).

The xoom, although having more pixels and more inches, feels much, much smaller in portrait mode. I would also add that portrait mode on a widescreen just feels way wrong, you have to try to believe it. Plus, you can tell none of the honeycomb tablets are even designed for portrait, landscape is the way to go on these devices. On the other hand, the iPad and the Touchpad are designed first for portrait, and in that sense the 4:3 just works better.

I am interested in a Touchpad first and foremost because it is 4:3, and then because it is not Apple. If the apps come around, I will happily get one.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Seriously guys, arguing about 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 but they ALL SUCK!

HP should have made the TouchPad 1:1!
    Hate to say it but for the 10 inch tablets apple got it right. Videos are nice and all but they are a very small portion of my intentions for a tablet. Documents, photos and the web are all much more critical to me.

However on smaller screens such as the playbook I'm thinking that the widescreen ratios make more sense as they give you the width but then again I've only seen widescreen 7 inchers.

The xoom and other android tablets only work in landscape due to their screens and are unwiedly I think in both orientations, too long in landscape, too narrow in portrait
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    The Xoom and other android tablets... are unwieldy I think in both orientations, too long in landscape, too narrow in portrait
    Well said, I agree 100%.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Seriously guys, arguing about 4:3, 16:10, 16:9 but they ALL SUCK!

HP should have made the TouchPad 1:1!
    So bring out the rollable display & adjustable bezel. Then everyone can adjust their own aspect ratio to their own preference.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12