Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't mean to troll, as I've been a loyal Palm fan boy since the mid-90s. But, the way I see it, there aren't and won't be many apps for this platform. I've had a Palm Pre for 2 years, and waited patiently for the apps to take off, and watched Android instead by the platform to take off.

Now that I am using an Android phone, and also own an iPad, I just can't see why someone would go with HP over the other two platforms?

I understand the homebrew community and it is truly great. I also believe that WebOS is better than either iOS or Android. However, I have really enjoyed being able to actually use apps from mainstream companies on my new phone and tablet. I can't see taking a step back from that.

What is it that keeps you guys going with the Betamax of the 21st century? Do you think that HP will be able to catch up, app-wise, with the other offerings?
    I don't want hundreds of thousands of apps in my phone or tablet. Indeed, even though iOS has over 400.000 apps I only have like 10 on my iPod touch. The same on my Pre+.

If I can get the apps that I really need, I don't care if the platform has 100, 10.000, 400.000 or 1.000.000 apps.
    I really don't think its hard to 'catch up' app-wise because 90% of apps in existence are terrible. If HP focuses on getting the 10% that don't suck and coming up with differentiating OS features, they'll be fine.
    I'm going to this platform because I think it will be the best. I also believe there will be a lot of apps for it in the immediate future. Just a feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    I don't want hundreds of thousands of apps in my phone or tablet. Indeed, even though iOS has over 400.000 apps I only have like 10 on my iPod touch. The same on my Pre+.

If I can get the apps that I really need, I don't care if the platform has 100, 10.000, 400.000 or 1.000.000 apps.
    The longer the tail, the bigger the consumer base. What you like doesn't equate to my like, and vice-versa. Don't hold back a platform because you think it doesn't need something that you don't agree with or like.
    I carry a Veer as my daily driver. My iPad and Evo generally stay at home.

I miss apps when I'm out on the town. Today, I wanted to Shazam a few songs I heard at H&M. When I was geocaching I wanted my more-capable Android version of the Geocaching.com app. The other night I wanted to use the iOS SCVNGR app while out to eat. So yeah, it can be frustrating.

I left my launch-day Pre- about this time last year for the Evo, partly because I wanted more apps. I came back to webOS with the Pre2 (and then the Veer) because I believe HP is betting their future in large part on webOS, and I believe they'll succeed in attracting developers as time goes on.

In short: I'm putting up with the app dearth because I believe they're coming, and because I value the webOS user interface more than iOS's or Android's.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    More apps is nice in theory, but useless when you dig further.

The reality is that you do 90% of what you do on your device using 10% of it's features. In the case of Android/iPhone the users there have access to 200k-300k apps and only regularly use 20. Those other 299,980 apps get downloaded, used a couple of times and then deleted, discarded, or forgotten.

I asked some of my Android and iPhone buddies to list their top 20 apps. 1/4 of the ones they used came with the phone (e-mail, messaging, photos, web, music). Another 1/2 were apps that either all platforms have (e.g. Pandora, Yelp, Evernote, Fandango, Angry Birds) or had readily available equivalents (foursquare (zhephree's), twitter (carbon, phnx, spaz, et al), jailbreak/rom (preware), Facebook (by Palm), etc.,.) The remaining 1/4 of apps they used were all +1 apps, things that enhanced existing features notifier/messanger apps, camera/editing apps, music discovery apps, and various banking apps.

Out of 5 friends I surveyed none mentioned voice control, text-to-speech, augmented reality, or really any app that I couldn't think of a reasonable equivalent to already on webOS.

The reality is that choice and flashy ideas bring customers to the table, but those aren't the things that keep them. If Android were on a single manufacturer you'd likely see a lot more churn back and forth between it and the different OSes. As it stands today there are so many manufacturers and so much fragmentation that people switch between carriers and phones frequently, chasing better hardware or improved features that never quite scratch that itch. It's not evident simply because all of those switchers are still just lumped into one big Android bucket.

We've seen this time and time again. People moving from webOS to Android because they're tired of being left out. They hear about all the great apps. So they go away. Then after some time they see that they're using all the same apps they did before, but the usability is lacking. They find that what they used to do 100 times a day is now 10 times harder.

So when someone says "but Android/iPhone has 100's of thousands of apps" then the simple rebuttal is "which 20 of those do you use?" The other question is "how much time do you want to spend tweaking your phone for things to work right?"

I think eventually the numbers and the flashy features will be there. For right now I'd rather have a phone that works the way I need it to. I'm sad to say that my Pre classic still gets things done better than any Android phone I've had the opportunity to use.
    hypothetical question.

if apps didn't exist and you were stuck with whatever came pre loaded. What order would you then rank the different OS's?

I would say:-

webOS
    iOS
    WP7
    Android.

I'm sure i've read surveys that say many people don't use 3rd party apps at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I wonder where the $2.5 billion dollars that Apple has paid iOS developers for came from, then? A bunch of apps that people don't use?
    9% of iPAD owners haven't downloaded an app. Free or Paid.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...y-Oct-2010.pdf

I think the figure is even less for the iPhone and I think Android's figures would slightly worse again.

9% still equates to millions of people.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    What kind of apps do you exactly desire? More you help us more we will help you
    It's different for everyone, what apps are needed.
    Of course nobody needs 400.000 apps. But the maybe 5 apps I regularly use should be available. Last.fm for example. Android's official Last.fm app is great. On webOS, there's (almost) nothing.
    If the 200 or so most used apps are available, everything is good.
    So I agree with HP's strategy as far as I understood it. Get the biggest names on board and people will be satisfied. No 1000 fart apps. A couple hundred high quality games and apps like Last.fm will be enough, and I think they will come.
    But as I think about it I wouldn't switch, because some apps are missing (unless I really need it for whatever reason) as long as the standard features are there and work well, like IM (which is great on webOS as we all know), after all this is why a have a smartphone in the first place.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm after an Ebay app, YouTube, Sky Sports, Sky News, Virgin Media TiVo, PayPal, Shazam, Pulse/Weave, Flipboard & Engadget.

To be honest, it's only the lack of apps that's giving me that niggling doubt if I should jump in to WebOS with the Touchpad & Pre3
    Im not sure of the point the OP is making here; the TP hasnt even shipped, and we only know about the current WebOS app market, which is what, between 7,000 and 8,000 apps?

We don't know what HP has, or has NOT been able to do on the developer side, regarding those "top 20%" that they just talked about... why don't we just give them a few weeks to see?

I dont expect a ton right out of the gate, myself, and Im from the poin tof view that I dont need many for my smartphone, but, if I did desire a tablet, Id want a really wide variety of them on the platform I'd choose to buy, and I do believe that HP gets that.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    I'm after an Ebay app, YouTube, Sky Sports, Sky News, Virgin Media TiVo, PayPal, Shazam, Pulse/Weave, Flipboard & Engadget.
    On my current Pre, I am using the ebay app AuctionMate Pro, I like the notifications and other features.
    I have an Engadget app but never use it.
    Youtube app I think is currently installed with every phone but I hear its going away for 3.0 in favor of the web browser as 3.0 is apparently doing a good job with the web browser and flash; I'm glad for this as I do quite a bit of websurfing on my laptop, would like my other devices to websurf well.

Another poster on another thread said HP is paying devs to create a webOS versio of the most-used apps based on research HP has done. This is a smart move and I hope it is true, look forward to seeing the results.
    Check out the Tim Pettitt video on the front page. In it he talks about how HP analyzed and focused on the top 20% of apps used by webOS users in deciding what should be available first for the TouchPad.

Lengthy TouchPad demo reveals reborn gesture, keyboard keys, and more [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    they needs 200-500 famous, great apps at launch. the number game is fun, but not really important on a large scale.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    They need the big name publishers on board as well. I remember a conference where Palm announced a partnership with EA, is that still active?

Need for Speed, Sims, FIFA, Madden etc will be the kind of names the casual audience look for along side Angry Birds & co.
    I'm thinking that the TouchPad, with a large screen and fully functional web browser, we won't need some of the apps.

Take Facebook, for example. I don't have a Windows Facebook app. I just use the browser. I'm hoping the TouchPad will be the same way.

The reason why we need some of the phone apps is because of the small screen and limited browser.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm thinking that the TouchPad, with a large screen and fully functional web browser, we won't need some of the apps.

Take Facebook, for example. I don't have a Windows Facebook app. I just use the browser. I'm hoping the TouchPad will be the same way.

The reason why we need some of the phone apps is because of the small screen and limited browser.
    A dedicated app will still be better 99% of the time. It means having a UI that's designed to make the best use of touch input & the available space.
    There are a bunch of apps that won't even be needed due to webOS integration. I have a Photobucket app on my soon-to-be-retired iPad1. TouchPad includes Photobucket integration in their Photos app. And I obviously won't need a Bing app (I avoid all things Google) since it is also built in.

Thanks to Flash, almost every other app I use on the iPad will not even need to be downloaded to the TouchPad. Apps, in iOS specifically, are used to fill the hole left by a lack of Flash. How many of those apps would you really use if iOS came with flash?

Only games, like Angry Birds, needs to be downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    A dedicated app will still be better 99% of the time. It means having a UI that's designed to make the best use of touch input & the available space.
    But a lot of websites are being designed to taker advantage of either a touch or mouse interface. Besides, most of what I want to do on Facebook isn't available in an app.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast