Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And after they heard from the testers, they realized it wasn't going to be practical.
    oh, are you the official tester? did you sit around their table when they discuss and made the decision? did Rubinstein call you?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    sure, I'm on the opposite side, based on my own experience of meta-doctoring my pre.
    And they had to have been able to install it on devices owned by hundreds of thousands, without those devices being overclocked.

You're overclocking your device, and claiming it works well, they should have released it. It doesn't, they shouldn't have, because they could not have told users to over their devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    oh, are you the official tester? did you sit around their table when they discuss and made the decision? did Rubinstein call you?
    I believe that anyone involved in testing would be subject to a non-disclosure agreement.
    Everyone, please. Let's dial it back a notch or two. I know that everyone (including me) is excited about the TouchPad's release. Let's keep it civil.
    Having installed webOS 2.1 on my Pre+, it is clear why they didn't push it out to users: at 500MHz, it's a slow dog. At 800MHz it is functional, and mostly worth it due to the new features, but barely. At 1GHz it becomes solid, but many Pre's won't do a Gig. So the reality is, if they had pushed 2.x down to all users, people would be irate at the horrendous performance unless it included a default over clock to at least 800MHz, which Palm wasn't going to do, and the carriers likely wouldn't have allowed them either.

It is what it is. Let's just focus on the new hardware going forward and the further improvements. The apps are clearly coming. We've seen a large number of key apps announced already, and I am sure they have a lot more that will be announced and available when the tablet becomes available. We've only got 15 days left to wait, so let's dial it down with the negativity and wait to see what they actually deliver on the 1st. We'll know real quick whether or not webOS is on the right path or not.
    fine- there may be apps coming for webos 3.0 and the touchpad...but what about smartphones??? Legacy devices owners now have feature phones rather than smartphones (static Os, no new updates or new apps), the veer and pre 3 have/will have webos 2.x, with a promise/guarantee/possibility/when-pigs-fly to upgrade to 3.0.

I don't care about netflix on a touchpad- I have my 50 inch lcd with a bluray player for that. I want apps on my smartphone so I can stop carrying around an ipod touch!

ok, hp?
    @MDsmartphone

As a launch date Pre owner, although I was lucky enough to have a solid phone that lasted me a good 18 months (enough to still be able to sell it and help me get my current Evo 4G -meh, I really miss the Pre...) and seeing the potential of webOS, it was clear Palm couldn't do it on its own, even with the Pre+... HP might be webOS' knight in shinning armor.

My point is, any original Pre owner should think about just moving on to the new webOS, if they want to have a proper OS experience.
    Might be easier said than done, but in the end, it's the best alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    fine- there may be apps coming for webos 3.0 and the touchpad...but what about smartphones??? Legacy devices owners now have feature phones rather than smartphones (static Os, no new updates or new apps), the veer and pre 3 have/will have webos 2.x, with a promise/guarantee/possibility/when-pigs-fly to upgrade to 3.0.

I don't care about netflix on a touchpad- I have my 50 inch lcd with a bluray player for that. I want apps on my smartphone so I can stop carrying around an ipod touch!

ok, hp?
    We saw a number of new apps come in with the Veer launch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if HP is lining up a large number of big apps when the Pre 3 launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    We saw a number of new apps come in with the Veer launch. I wouldn't be surprised at all if HP is lining up a large number of big apps when the Pre 3 launches.
    Enyo, man. Enyo. Notice how new apps have all but stopped trickling in? There has never been a huge flow, but there always used to be a relatively steady (if thin) stream of new apps that has pretty much stopped now. That's because ever since Enyo was formally announced, the webOS developer base has stopped working on Mojo apps and started working on Enyo apps instead.

Now I'm not saying that the TouchPad (or Pre3) will start with 20,000 apps... but I do reckon that there will be a few thousand new/improved Enyo apps in the market, maybe nearly as many as in the current (Mojo) App catalog, as soon as the TouchPad and Pre3 start shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except what you're talking about had nothing to do with the user experience of the OS. What you're saying would hold true if you were a developer, and were speaking from experience. You're not. So it just comes off as "I want them to do this" (and someone says "they are"), to which a response is "I don't believe it".

You've never said why you don't believe it.

Besides, it's not just one developer. We've seen several reports about HP targeting the top 20% of the apps and focusing on them. You've chosen to ignore that as well.
    I don't believe it because I've been down this road before. Look, I want to believe it'll be different.

With RIM's demise, HP has an opportunity here to make something out of webOS, and honestly, the timing couldn't have been better. Now, it's a question of execution. This is where I becoming the doubting Thomas.

I don't believe HP will execute. I want to believe they will.

I love much about webOS, I just have issues with the captains of the ship. Will they prove me wrong? I hope so. I'd love to jump back into a HP device again, but for many of us, they have a lot to prove this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Enyo, man. Enyo. Notice how new apps have all but stopped trickling in?
    Yeah. Brighthouse needs to get up to speed on how to release recipes and books with the new system before we start seeing new apps come inÖ

Iím interested in the TP release to see what apps get released along with it. If there arenít some big names called out, Iíll know that I have little reason to wait around for the Pre3 release.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Having installed webOS 2.1 on my Pre+, it is clear why they didn't push it out to users: at 500MHz, it's a slow dog. At 800MHz it is functional, and mostly worth it due to the new features, but barely. At 1GHz it becomes solid, but many Pre's won't do a Gig. So the reality is, if they had pushed 2.x down to all users, people would be irate at the horrendous performance unless it included a default over clock to at least 800MHz, which Palm wasn't going to do, and the carriers likely wouldn't have allowed them either.
    See now, while your statement is 100% correct, you're going to get the '2.1 runs perfect on the Pre' crowd all fired up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    My point is, any original Pre owner should think about just moving on to the new webOS, if they want to have a proper OS experience.
    Might be easier said than done, but in the end, it's the best alternative.
    Agreed!

I wish people would stop complaining about support for a 2+ year old phone, the majority of Android devices aren't seeing support for 2+ years. With iOS a 3G isn't running 4 very well in all cases.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    See now, while your statement is 100% correct, you're going to get the '2.1 runs perfect on the Pre' crowd all fired up.
    I know. Wish more people realized that the manufacture and carrier are both on the hook if they push an update out that can potentially damage or degrade a device. If webOS2.x worked as well on a Pre+ at 500MHz as it does at 1GHz, they would have likely released it.

I'm sure we'll see a link to a YouTube video soon enough.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456