Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    hp is well aware they are missng key apps. We are going to see cool stuff
    july 1 like citrix, kindle, and I suspect some suprises....
    we will see, those two are far from enough.
    HP is also notorious for having sales. Try getting a discounted macbook on the fourth of July. I can promise you that HP will have many discounts that weekend that will be into the 100's of dollars on certain systems.

Ignore how Palm did things; Palm is dead. This is how classic HP works:

Price TouchPad for $499 (the base price is equal to that of the iPad thereby equating quality)
    Leave at that price for a month or so.
    Labor Day: Apply $50 discount in that weekend's sale.
    After Labor Day: return to base price.
    Repeat each holiday (Columbus Day, Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, etc....)

That's when HP wins. "Hey honey, the TouchPad and iPad are the same price but HP is having a $50 off sale this weekend. Let's go get us a TouchPad." iPad makes up 90% of the tablet market, yet only 10% of the consumer market owns a tablet. HP's going after the 90% who haven't rushed out to get an iPad. To them, as long as it allows access to Facebook , email, and Angry Birds, they don't care how many apps it has.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    HP is also notorious for having sales. Try getting a discounted macbook on the fourth of July. I can promise you that HP will have many discounts that weekend that will be into the 100's of dollars on certain systems.

Ignore how Palm did things; Palm is dead. This is how classic HP works:

Price TouchPad for $499 (the base price is equal to that of the iPad thereby equating quality)
    Leave at that price for a month or so.
    Labor Day: Apply $50 discount in that weekend's sale.
    After Labor Day: return to base price.
    Repeat each holiday (Columbus Day, Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, etc....)

That's when HP wins. "Hey honey, the TouchPad and iPad are the same price but HP is having a $50 off sale this weekend. Let's go get us a TouchPad." iPad makes up 90% of the tablet market, yet only 10% of the consumer market owns a tablet. HP's going after the 90% who haven't rushed out to get an iPad. To them, as long as it allows access to Facebook , email, and Angry Birds, they don't care how many apps it has.
    honey, eeepad has $100 off all the time, and has so much better hardwares and apps, let us get it any time!

you promise too much, and we all know hp's promise isn't the most reliable thing on Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Right now the huge hurdle HP has to overcome in order for the touchpad to succeed is brand recognition. Right now, no one even knows about webOS. If HP can successfully use it's marketing muscle to push it into walmarts, costco's, best buys, radio shacks, etc. then people will finally get to see what webOS is all about. Right now, no one really knows much about it.
    Although this is definitely true, and if anyone does know about webOS out there, it's either people on this forum or people who know very little about it.

However, this is actually quite the advantage to HP. Palm may have not been able to make webOS a success, and if people knew about it, they would be even less likely to buy the new stuff. But since people aren't educated, this is a chance for HP to actually capitalize on it, and make it a well-known brand in the consumer market. It may not be easy, but HP does have the power and scale to make this possible.
    Something that everyone is ignoring here is the free advertising that Android and Apple get from a lot of their apps. For example my local news station has an app for Android and iOS. This is mentioned on every news cast.

When was the last time you saw anything that mentioned downloading their app in the Android Market, App Store(iOS) and App Catalog(webOS)? Your more likely to see mention of a Blackberry app!
    Quick question to those that say “app's aren’t needed, it’s built-in into webOS’ Synergy”: what happens when one of these services change an API, or add/remove a feature? Is it rendered useless on webOS until HP issues an update? An update that could take ages to hit you, especially if you’re on Verizon.

This is a serious question that has crossed my mind in the past but never gave much thought.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/12/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Quick question to those that say “app's aren’t needed, it’s built-in into webOS’ Synergy”: what happens when one of these services change an API, or add/remove a feature? Is it rendered useless on webOS until HP issues an update? An update that could take ages to hit you, especially if you're on Verizon.
    OMG.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    Something that everyone is ignoring here is the free advertising that Android and Apple get from a lot of their apps. For example my local news station has an app for Android and iOS. This is mentioned on every news cast.

When was the last time you saw anything that mentioned downloading their app in the Android Market, App Store(iOS) and App Catalog(webOS)? Your more likely to see mention of a Blackberry app!
    I agree that your point is true but the same can be said for AOL back in the day and look what happened to them.

In the end, you can't be all things to all people, and the sheep out there will definitely go become ipad owners but so what. The market is HUGE and there's a ton of space to grow and in the end this venture has to make money for everyone involved. I believe there is more than enough market available and HP seems to be moving in the right direction to make their product relevant and in the end that means they will be around for a few years at least which is all I really care about. I'm sure by then we'll be on to the next new thing and hopefully HP and Webos will be part of that mix.

As for all those apps - I agree a lot of them simply exist because apple doesn't do flash so the app needs to exist just so companies can access a significant part of the market. And the only reason there isn't an app like Shazam is because the API's weren't available to developers, I can guarantee that if the code were accessible someone would come up with the app even if webos is relatively small right now. I'd rather be the first app in webos and fight on the field alone rather than try to take on shazam in IOS, I'd probably make more money (if I were a coder)... apps will definitely come, whether we want them....a whole different story
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I carry a Veer as my daily driver. My iPad and Evo generally stay at home.

I miss apps when I'm out on the town. Today, I wanted to Shazam a few songs I heard at H&M. When I was geocaching I wanted my more-capable Android version of the Geocaching.com app. The other night I wanted to use the iOS SCVNGR app while out to eat. So yeah, it can be frustrating.

I left my launch-day Pre- about this time last year for the Evo, partly because I wanted more apps. I came back to webOS with the Pre2 (and then the Veer) because I believe HP is betting their future in large part on webOS, and I believe they'll succeed in attracting developers as time goes on.

In short: I'm putting up with the app dearth because I believe they're coming, and because I value the webOS user interface more than iOS's or Android's.
    I carry my Pre+ as daily phone and Evo as a daily music and book reading device. My transformer is bed book reading device. The only thing that make me worry about WebOS tablet is Apps (I loaded half of my Evos Apps on Transformer) and price - costs as iPad, with much less apps.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    honey, eeepad has $100 off all the time, and has so much better hardwares and apps, let us get it any time!

you promise too much, and we all know hp's promise isn't the most reliable thing on Earth.
    Yes. Exactly ! And honey, for $100 that we saved, let's by keyboard/dock.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    I don't see the need of creating this thread. If no apps = dealbreaker, then don't buy it, and be happy: we'll be happy too.

What makes anyone think that posting that on this forum is going to change anything?

I don't need (and I think nobody else) to know that anyone is not going to buy a product.

And everyone else: don't feed the troll:

Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    I don't mean to troll, (...)

What is it that keeps you guys going with the Betamax of the 21st century? (...)

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This is a serious question that has crossed my mind in the past but never gave much thought.
    I can tell you that when a public and stable API is released doesn't change. Maybe (only maybe, companies doesn't use to do that) they could changes how that API works, but the interface and the expected results doesn't change.

If they need to make big changes which needs more values, or returns different data, they release an alias (this means you can use it the old way or the new way using the same call, just with different variables), or another completely different API.

(Another story is when an app plays with beta APIs, or undocumented ones).

Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    More apps is nice in theory, but useless when you dig further.

The reality is that you do 90% of what you do on your device using 10% of it's features. In the case of Android/iPhone the users there have access to 200k-300k apps and only regularly use 20. Those other 299,980 apps get downloaded, used a couple of times and then deleted, discarded, or forgotten.

I asked some of my Android and iPhone buddies to list their top 20 apps. 1/4 of the ones they used came with the phone (e-mail, messaging, photos, web, music). Another 1/2 were apps that either all platforms have (e.g. Pandora, Yelp, Evernote, Fandango, Angry Birds) or had readily available equivalents (foursquare (zhephree's), twitter (carbon, phnx, spaz, et al), jailbreak/rom (preware), Facebook (by Palm), etc.,.) The remaining 1/4 of apps they used were all +1 apps, things that enhanced existing features notifier/messanger apps, camera/editing apps, music discovery apps, and various banking apps.

Out of 5 friends I surveyed none mentioned voice control, text-to-speech, augmented reality, or really any app that I couldn't think of a reasonable equivalent to already on webOS.

The reality is that choice and flashy ideas bring customers to the table, but those aren't the things that keep them. If Android were on a single manufacturer you'd likely see a lot more churn back and forth between it and the different OSes. As it stands today there are so many manufacturers and so much fragmentation that people switch between carriers and phones frequently, chasing better hardware or improved features that never quite scratch that itch. It's not evident simply because all of those switchers are still just lumped into one big Android bucket.

We've seen this time and time again. People moving from webOS to Android because they're tired of being left out. They hear about all the great apps. So they go away. Then after some time they see that they're using all the same apps they did before, but the usability is lacking. They find that what they used to do 100 times a day is now 10 times harder.

So when someone says "but Android/iPhone has 100's of thousands of apps" then the simple rebuttal is "which 20 of those do you use?" The other question is "how much time do you want to spend tweaking your phone for things to work right?"

I think eventually the numbers and the flashy features will be there. For right now I'd rather have a phone that works the way I need it to. I'm sad to say that my Pre classic still gets things done better than any Android phone I've had the opportunity to use.
    OK, let me try. The apps I use regularly:
    - APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test and Body Fat calculator) [No idea if there is one on WebOS)

- Amazon App Store [No equivalent - get a free app daily, that's normally paid, and lots of other paid apps at a discount over the normal market]

-BF.c [App for Bimmerforums - no equivalent]

-Calorie Counter [None now, as the functionality that makes my life easieris largely dependent on barcode scanner, but maybe in the future there will be]

-Cardio Trainer [no idea if there is an equivalent, but this app does a lot for my workouts, including GPS tracking of runs, tons of data about them, I can plan runs, schedule workouts, get info over headphones as I go, and it tracks my weight loss, and workout improvement]

-Comixology [no equivalent on WebOS, I have been trying to get them to update their web app to have a more tablet friendly viewing option, would eliminate the need for the app]

-Docs [Only access to Google Docs, but I find it better than all the other document editors, however, QuickOffice SHOULD offer this functionality]

-Dropbox [available on WebOS]

-Email [For AKO - available and better for webOS]

-Fandango [available on WebOS]

- GMail [somehow Android has a separate app for this, again, email on WebOS is better]

-Maps [Nothing quite like Google Navigation on any other platform]

-Multicon [a widget, nothing like it on WebOS]

-Music [access to Google music, HP has promised a similar service, perhaps not available at launch, but it's coming. No phone has replaced my personal needs in a PMP any way, so it's secondary to my ZuneHD]

- NewsRoom [was my favorite WebOS app, now among my favorite for Android, available on both platforms]

- Out of Milk [it's a grocery list app, so yeah, I could find one]

- Pure Grid Calender [widget - not available on WebOS]

-SeekDroid [remote tracking, data wiping, can push to turn on GPS, don't know if it's available for webOS]

-Tweetcaster [Similar apps available]

-Wifi tehter [available for webOS]

-XDA [Android development community for us rooters and romers, wouldn't be necessary on webOS]

-Words with Friends [not available on webOS]

Score Card:
    That is 22 apps that I use on a very regular basis on my phone. Of those, I know that 9 are available, or promised shortly by HP. Three, I am not sure about. So if all 3 are available on WebOS, along with the couple that aren't that important, then I am still missing 7-10 apps that I regularly use on Android.

There are a lot of apologists here about the app catalog. It's not good enough right now. It just isn't. There are more, and better, apps on Android. I used webOS for quite a while before the switch. Now, I am going to get back behind the OS because of its potential, and my desire for its success, with the TouchPad. I believe it is a better OS, and one that offers much more functionality than Android.

But stop with all this "All the apps anyone would ever actually need are already on webOS" BS. It isn't true, and saying it over and over doesn't make it more true.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Bimmerforums and XDA apps are branded versions of the Tapatalk Client, so yes, they're available using Forums for webOS (those two and another 17553 other forums).

So it leaves as much as 5-8 from 22 (from your measures, let's suppose you don't count nDrive as a navigation app). Let's wait and see what runners have to say about training apps.

If you remove from that your widgets (the same as I wouldn't count Exhibition mode apps, or 3rd party Sinergy services), this leaves 3-6 from 22.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 06/15/2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL. Right now there are about five people who are going through your list to prove to you that you don't really need all those apps. Apparently, billions of dollars have been spent on apps that people simply do not need.
    Probably yes. On 2010, more than 50% of iOS apps didn't get more than $600 year revenue.

I don't mean to troll, as I've been a loyal Palm fan boy since the mid-90s.
    Uh, yes you do mean to be a troll, you give it away with this statement right here:
    What is it that keeps you guys going with the Betamax of the 21st century?
    If you were truly interested in an real answer, you wouldn't have asked in an insulting manner.

I think a funnier question (and resulting answer) would be - what keeps folks like you that claim to have moved on, coming back?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I don't see the need of creating this thread. If no apps = dealbreaker, then don't buy it, and be happy: we'll be happy too.

What makes anyone think that posting that on this forum is going to change anything?

I don't need (and I think nobody else) to know that anyone is not going to buy a product.

And everyone else: don't feed the troll:
    And, of course, since it really was a troll thread, the naysayers came out in force and have informed us that the TouchPad is not going to sell.

Yet, they keep coming back. I think deep down inside, they're a little concerned that it just might.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    But stop with all this "All the apps anyone would ever actually need are already on webOS" BS. It isn't true, and saying it over and over doesn't make it more true.
    I don't think anyone is saying that, and if they are, they're simply mistaken.

No device (including your android) has "all the apps anyone would ever actually need". To claim that, of course, woudl be "BS", as you stated.

Of course, to pretend that your list is what everyone, or even most people, will need is also BS.

So, you have the device you need/want. Apparently, there are users out there that yet obtained the device that they need/want. I'm sure that's the group of people that HP is aiming for. I don't think they believe they're going to get them all, but they apparently believe they will get a significant amount of them. I suspect they're right.

We'll see soon.
    The apps are a factor, and they won't come in the volume we all want until there are a lot more webOS devices out there. Several things will help:
    1. Enyo apps will work (theoretically) across multiple sizes of screens without rework.
    2. HP will be able to push the TouchPad very hard in the enterprise world. No one else is going to be able to do this the way HP can. It's a big advantage, and lots of enterprise users equates to lots of webOS devices, which will attract developers.
    3. HP will put webOS on PCs. More webOS devices, which will attract developers.

This is the strategy. We'll see what happens, but it's a chicken & egg scenario. HP gets to short-circuit that scenario increasing the volume without apps. So they have a chance. Over the next year, I think we'll see the rate of app cat growth get to where we want it to be.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Bimmerforums and XDA apps are branded versions of the Tapatalk Client, so yes, they're available using Forums for webOS (those two and another 17553 other forums).

So it leaves as much as 5-8 from 22 (from your measures, let's suppose you don't count nDrive as a navigation app). Let's wait and see what runners have to say about training apps.

If you remove from that your widgets (the same as I wouldn't count Exhibition mode apps, or 3rd party Sinergy services), this leaves 3-6 from 22.
    As I said, XDA doesn't matter. Bimmerforums might be a "branded version of tapatalk" but I have used both, and the Bimmerforums version is more functional. Period. It works better for my favorite forum. As I said, I simply don't know about the training apps.

And I like how I have widgets that make my life easier, and you just "don't count them." Sure, just don't count some of the advantages and they aren't advantages. As for exhibition mode, with Widget Locker, and a dock, BOOM - I get the same thing on Android. WebOS still doesn't have the widgets. I realize there is turn by turn, but Google Navigator is the best navigation I have ever used (and I have tested a ton, even on WebOS) that isn't a dedicated Garmin device.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL. Right now there are about five people who are going through your list to prove to you that you don't really need all those apps. Apparently, billions of dollars have been spent on apps that people simply do not need.
    Lolwut?

Haha, I don't need any of the apps. Just like you don't need anything on WebOS, what I did was outline certain advantages that Android has. Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't use. I love webOS, but I don't put my head in the sand, either. There really are advantages to other devices on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that, and if they are, they're simply mistaken.

No device (including your android) has "all the apps anyone would ever actually need". To claim that, of course, woudl be "BS", as you stated.

Of course, to pretend that your list is what everyone, or even most people, will need is also BS.

So, you have the device you need/want. Apparently, there are users out there that yet obtained the device that they need/want. I'm sure that's the group of people that HP is aiming for. I don't think they believe they're going to get them all, but they apparently believe they will get a significant amount of them. I suspect they're right.

We'll see soon.
    The person I quoted, and many others in this forum, clearly imply that all of the "essential" apps are on WebOS, and everything else is just filler in the competitive app catalogs. And I never said that my list is what everyone would need, but people in this forum do often put their heads in the sand about apps. Everyone has their own apps that they find necessary, but to say that all the essential apps are on WebOS, and there just aren't many apps that people would use that aren't on webOS, as several people ITT have argued, is inaccurate.

And part of HP's strategy to get them is to add more apps. So...I am not sure what exactly you think you are arguing here. A lack of options isn't a feature. As I said in my first post ITT, there are clear advantages to webOS, but there are also clear disadvantages. There is no reason to pretend otherwise.
    Last edited by reggieb; 06/15/2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast