Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm thinking that the TouchPad, with a large screen and fully functional web browser, we won't need some of the apps.
    first, we don't know how function the browser really is. Nobody did any in depth test on it.

• does it remember passwords/username?
    • does it offer any sync function for easy transfer of users bookmarks from desktop browsers?
    • does it render all images? or it still has limitation of the image resolution?
    • does it have a download manager coupled with an accessible file system?
    • does it allow decent text selection in the webpage?
    • does it allow iframes?
    • does it reflow text when double click?
    • does it report to servers as mobile browser?
    • What javascript engine does it use, and how fast is it?
    • does it have tabs? or individual cards are required for simultaneous webpages?
    • does it have silverlight or whatever needed to enable netflix?
    • does it work with hulu?
    • does it support find in page?
    • does it cache pages for fast back and forward?
    • does it support private browsing?

Also, touch interface is not gonna work very well with some websites requiring precise clicking, or using alot of hovering events.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/12/2011 at 08:58 AM.
    It seems that the kind of apps that I covet are those that interact with other devices or networks. For example, I would love my webos device to be able to act as another controller for my Sonos, or to permit my phone (and hopefully soon Touchpad) to lister to Sirius. I guess I am looking for, I guess, is convergence. What I see, so far, are apps that are made for IOS or Android, but not webos.

I agree that most games are used intensely and then discarded. I went through my WordAce phase. I have not played the game in a year. However, some of that intense usage is an effort to make your device more relevant to your life. If you had an ADT home security system that your webos device connected to that would make your device more relevant. I don't use ADT but I bet their application is not made for webos but does work on IOS and now Android. It seems that this is the type of experience that HP is looking towards also. Hopefully, it is these types of partnerships that HP's position "in the community" will be able to foster.
    An application must bring something special to the table to legitimize a user to pay for it - "special", will vary from consumer to consumer, of course.

But, we need to remember, this is a tough economy, and most people already have a desktop computer or laptop with very powerful applications that they have already paid for, and, arent likely to pay again for another one to use on a mobile device, unless there is ample reason.

I'd dare say that MOST consumers would rather access a multimedia web site than pay for an app to do the same thing, however, running QuickOffice on the TP would be an app that many would pay for, as long as they can use the same office files as on their other hardware and software platforms, and be able to share them with them...

Or, maybe an application specific to the TP to use its hardware like the camera or Beats audio, etc... that's unique (special), would have some market appeal to TP consumers.

Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Well Said...i couldn't agree more
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    More apps is nice in theory, but useless when you dig further.

The reality is that you do 90% of what you do on your device using 10% of it's features. In the case of Android/iPhone the users there have access to 200k-300k apps and only regularly use 20. Those other 299,980 apps get downloaded, used a couple of times and then deleted, discarded, or forgotten.

I asked some of my Android and iPhone buddies to list their top 20 apps. 1/4 of the ones they used came with the phone (e-mail, messaging, photos, web, music). Another 1/2 were apps that either all platforms have (e.g. Pandora, Yelp, Evernote, Fandango, Angry Birds) or had readily available equivalents (foursquare (zhephree's), twitter (carbon, phnx, spaz, et al), jailbreak/rom (preware), Facebook (by Palm), etc.,.) The remaining 1/4 of apps they used were all +1 apps, things that enhanced existing features notifier/messanger apps, camera/editing apps, music discovery apps, and various banking apps.

Out of 5 friends I surveyed none mentioned voice control, text-to-speech, augmented reality, or really any app that I couldn't think of a reasonable equivalent to already on webOS.

The reality is that choice and flashy ideas bring customers to the table, but those aren't the things that keep them. If Android were on a single manufacturer you'd likely see a lot more churn back and forth between it and the different OSes. As it stands today there are so many manufacturers and so much fragmentation that people switch between carriers and phones frequently, chasing better hardware or improved features that never quite scratch that itch. It's not evident simply because all of those switchers are still just lumped into one big Android bucket.

We've seen this time and time again. People moving from webOS to Android because they're tired of being left out. They hear about all the great apps. So they go away. Then after some time they see that they're using all the same apps they did before, but the usability is lacking. They find that what they used to do 100 times a day is now 10 times harder.

So when someone says "but Android/iPhone has 100's of thousands of apps" then the simple rebuttal is "which 20 of those do you use?" The other question is "how much time do you want to spend tweaking your phone for things to work right?"

I think eventually the numbers and the flashy features will be there. For right now I'd rather have a phone that works the way I need it to. I'm sad to say that my Pre classic still gets things done better than any Android phone I've had the opportunity to use.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    9% of iPAD owners haven't downloaded an app. Free or Paid.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...y-Oct-2010.pdf

I think the figure is even less for the iPhone and I think Android's figures would slightly worse again.

9% still equates to millions of people.
    Ummm...sorry, but if I'm the owner of any business, I'll let you keep your 9%. I'll take the 91% that are left. It's very bad business to neglect the overwhelming majority of your market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    A dedicated app will still be better 99% of the time. It means having a UI that's designed to make the best use of touch input & the available space.
    Perhaps, as long as the app is fully functional. It seems that many times, some features are missing in the app, compared to the web.
    Currently, there appears to be 2,730 apps that will be TouchPad friendly!

My sincere guess is that on the official TouchPad Launch Day, there will be a formal announcement as to the current number of apps.

PS.. its now 2,740 apps.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    first, we don't know how function the browser really is. Nobody did any in depth test on it.

Deleted long list.

Also, touch interface is not gonna work very well with some websites requiring precise clicking, or using alot of hovering events.
    i think we will find out soon, and I'm sure it will improve over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    i think we will find out soon, and I'm sure it will improve over time.
    agreed we will find out soon.

improve over time, maybe, many of us have learned not to trust HP for "future improvements". If it's not there at launch, it's not there. If it's important for a user, don't buy it until you see it works.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    agreed we will find out soon.

improve over time, maybe, many of us have learned not to trust HP for "future improvements". If it's not there at launch, it's not there. If it's important for a user, don't buy it until you see it works.
    Wise words. I remember watching a youtube video demoing Flash which was 'coming soon' on the original Pre.....
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Ummm...sorry, but if I'm the owner of any business, I'll let you keep your 9%. I'll take the 91% that are left. It's very bad business to neglect the overwhelming majority of your market.
    HP will never win by playing Apples rules. Apple didn't try to do everything the netbook could do. They picked a group of netbook users that didn't use most of Windows features and pushed the bits they could excel at. 9% of all iPad owners is still a lot of sales.

my original point was that WebOS is still a really useful OS without any apps. Want to manage google,yahoo, hotmail and 12 exchange accounts from one inbox. You don't need an app for that, it's built in.
    i must be a minority in this app thing. i've never had any type of need for any apps. I would much rather go to the full website because it will work the way it's supposed too.

the other day i was on androids app page just browsing through apps. I went 10 pages before I saw an app that i finally could say "i may need that".. and it was quickoffice. It was a complete waste of time trying to search all those hundreds of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    I don't mean to troll, as I've been a loyal Palm fan boy since the mid-90s. But, the way I see it, there aren't and won't be many apps for this platform. I've had a Palm Pre for 2 years, and waited patiently for the apps to take off, and watched Android instead by the platform to take off.

Now that I am using an Android phone, and also own an iPad, I just can't see why someone would go with HP over the other two platforms?

I understand the homebrew community and it is truly great. I also believe that WebOS is better than either iOS or Android. However, I have really enjoyed being able to actually use apps from mainstream companies on my new phone and tablet. I can't see taking a step back from that.

What is it that keeps you guys going with the Betamax of the 21st century? Do you think that HP will be able to catch up, app-wise, with the other offerings?
    People will buy the HP tablet for WebOS primarily. That is what differentiates it from Android and Apple. Not to mention it will be integrated with HP peripherals like printers, computers, etc. Apps are important, but as long as the important ones and most popular ones are there, thats what matters. For some, Honeycomb is too complicated and unintuitive. For others, Apple's OS is too simple. WebOS can be right in the middle between customizable and intuitive. From an apps perspective though, Apple has everyone beat by a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    People will buy the HP tablet for WebOS primarily. That is what differentiates it from Android and Apple.
    I agree with that, just like people buy pre/pre+/Pre2 primarily for webOS.

The problem is not why people buy them, the problem is how many of such people exist.
  15.    #35  
    Some good discussion here! I would love nothing more than to transition into the next generation of webOS devices, but I think it is too late at this point.

Lots of folks have said that no one uses 400,000 apps, and of course that is true. But here's some of the apps I use on my iPad and Android phone:

DirecTV control of all my receivers
    Google Reader app for blogs
    Netflix
    Hulu
    Flipboard (awesome way to read twitter/fb/newsfeeds)
    Pulse
    Pandora
    Runkeeper
    Google Music
    Weather Channel
    CNN/NYT/Fox
    Nook!!!!
    Mint
    Evernote
    Dropbox
    LastPass

I use all of these weekly, and to my knowledge, only three or four are on webOS. And that doesn't include some of the games I like to play, like Words with Friends, and many others.

Maybe they will be able to convince developers to add these apps soon? If so, that would be great! I'll be back for the TouchPad 2 or something!
    I like that there are differences and the choice there is in os ui accross all platforms. I wish, though, that the code language, atleast for writting apps, were all the same, so apps could be deployed across all the touchscreen phones app store's at the same time. Its lame that the number of available apps dictates how far along a platform gets due to consumer adoption, but its true.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    The problem is not why people buy them, the problem is how many of such people exist.
    I believe thae last report I saw put the number of WebOS users at about 2-3% of the market. I'd bet the number of people that would buy a phone or tablet purely because it runs WebOS is less than half of that. You cannot sustain the platform with numbers like that. As much as many of the purists on this site would hate (or refuse) to admit it, HP will have to significantly increase the apps available if they hope to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    In short: I'm putting up with the app dearth because I believe they're coming, and because I value the webOS user interface more than iOS's or Android's.
    Quoted for truth
    Right now the huge hurdle HP has to overcome in order for the touchpad to succeed is brand recognition. Right now, no one even knows about webOS. If HP can successfully use it's marketing muscle to push it into walmarts, costco's, best buys, radio shacks, etc. then people will finally get to see what webOS is all about. Right now, no one really knows much about it.
    hp is well aware they are missng key apps. We are going to see cool stuff
    july 1 like citrix, kindle, and I suspect some suprises....
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast