1.    #1  
    Hi there,

Just a question on the Touchpad and others coming out.

There is little question that the Palm destroy the iPhone in functionality and usability for professional use because of Webos and especially the keyboard. This is the target market the Palm Pre was geared towards. Having the iPhone before it is way harder to get anything serious done on it

So with these new touchpads everyone knows Apple is kicking *** and has the market by the throat. So my question is why these new touchpads, not just HP but others ones entering the market to get slaughtered dont do a simple thing like add a card slot to the products and grab the niche?

I know with me using stuff the Palm Pre and these touchpad always my #1 concern is backing up things which these cards could make me feel more secure than having it just internally in the device. It just makes sense that a little thing like this can mean life and death for a product to why not add it? Its a no brainer to me! and like HP saying to Apple "Yes come slaughter us!"

This chart makes the Touchpad look unappealing, but to me the selling point is WebOS. Everything is backed up on the cloud. You need to use the cloud!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    lacking of microSD is purely for the purpose of controlling market for better profit.

Its quite pathetic if you consider they don't even have much market to start with, and they already making these business decisions for better profits. No sales, no profit, period.

It seems HP is only shipping 32GB to retails (at least in the beginning). it may be a way to force the sales of 32GB version with better profit, but HP may pay the price of losing overall market by doing so. I hope they change course soon.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yep, the tablets are more about the exp than the specs....
    now if u are compating different android tablets then yes specs have a valid place.
    but really people want to buy the TP because of webos
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5.    #5  
    I know for me these "little things" are huge.

For example there is no way I would get an iphone now because of 2 thing - itunes and no keyboard. I had it before and itunes sucked!

BTW you can see my registration date is 2007 but I got my Pre last year. Does anyone know what precentral used to be? I dont understand this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corleone187 View Post
    BTW you can see my registration date is 2007 but I got my Pre last year. Does anyone know what precentral used to be? I dont understand this.
    precentral inherited treocentral's data. all the forum contents here can also be accessed through treocentral, with a different color scheme.
    If there's one thing for sure about the tablet market, its that specs don't. Have a lot to do with success.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Also the table appears to contain false info. I was under the impression the HP Touchpad would debut with wifi only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    If there's one thing for sure about the tablet market, its that specs don't have a lot to do with success.
    Thats the brand power of apple.

for android guys, because they are about the same. They all have 1280x800, two camera, dual core CPU, 1G RAM, microSD, etc, ect. when specs aren't a factor, price wins, thats why EEE pad is selling better than any none-apple tablets (300,000 this month projected)

Touchpad's specs are similar to iPad with shortcomings and some advantages. Its obviously worse than android tablets in most categories. Its dangerous gamble with larger than 50/50 chance of fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats the brand power of apple.

for android guys, because they are about the same. They all have 1280x800, two camera, dual core CPU, 1G RAM, microSD, etc, ect. when specs aren't a factor, price wins, thats why EEE pad is selling better than any none-apple tablets (300,000 this month projected)

Touchpad's specs are similar to iPad with shortcomings and some advantages. Its obviously worse than android tablets in most categories. Its dangerous gamble with larger than 50/50 chance of fail.
    I'm not sure how your figuring your chances, but I don't think there's ANYTHING HP can do to reduce the risk. Lowering the price could tarnish the brand. Increasing the specs could significantly reduce profit , making an already risky situation even riskier.

The only thing HP has to bank on is marketing and user experience (which includes app availabilty). Those two alone will determine how the touchpad does.

Remember, Apple built its entire brand on what most would consider over priced hardware. But their claim to fame was that their stuff worked well and reliably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm not sure how your figuring your chances, but I don't think there's ANYTHING HP can do to reduce the risk. Lowering the price could tarnish the brand. Increasing the specs could significantly reduce profit , making an already risky situation even riskier.

The only thing HP has to bank on is marketing and user experience (which includes app availabilty). Those two alone will determine how the touchpad does.

Remember, Apple built its entire brand on what most would consider over priced hardware. But their claim to fame was that their stuff worked well and reliably.
    lowering price will tarnishing the brand?

HP has no brand in this market. what can it possibly tarnish? Its pavillion line? envy line? or printer line?

EEE pad transformer sold more than any android tablets by being priced at $399, I think thats a better indication of the power of aggressive pricing.

I just hope you guys, now making these type of arguments for the high price, can come back in three months and reflect on this whole discussion.
  12.    #12  
    precentral inherited treocentral's data. all the forum contents here can also be accessed through treocentral, with a different color scheme.
    Thank you. This is weird because my last phone was Android for many years so I'm not sure how I have an account here from 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Corleone187 View Post
    Thank you. This is weird because my last phone was Android for many years so I'm not sure how I have an account here from 2007
    If you created an account in TreoCentral back in the day and used the same account name/password to sign in here at PreCentral - it's a combined site now (as stated above), so that login information would continue here.
    hp needs to the lower the price even by 50 bucks would help
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    lowering price will tarnishing the brand?

HP has no brand in this market. what can it possibly tarnish? Its pavillion line? envy line? or printer line?

EEE pad transformer sold more than any android tablets by being priced at $399, I think thats a better indication of the power of aggressive pricing.

I just hope you guys, now making these type of arguments for the high price, can come back in three months and reflect on this whole discussion.
    It's not (just) about tarnishing brands already established. If you introduce a touchpad at 300 or 400 dollars now, you can't just raise the price for the next generation. People won't buy it (literally).

With a higher price comes higher expectation. The only thing HP needs to do is deliver on that expectation and people will buy into it.

Also for those that are skeptical about the price point, I would suggest reading "Influence" by Robert Cialdini. It explains the most common principles of social exchange theory with practical examples. It's used in my university's persuasive communication MSc course.