I would consider getting a TP on July 1st if I can use it to get back to my Macintosh computer at home. When I travel I need to get back to my computer for business reasons. But, otherwise all I need is email and to surf the web. Right now I carry around a Macbook Pro primarily because I can use Back to my mac and it is pretty seamless and works great. Does anyone know if the TP will be able to do this for me and how it is done?
    Not known yet. I imagine there will be something like Splashtop Remote Desktop to accomplish that, though maybe not at launch...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Or get a real pc and i am sure something else will work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Spalshtop is available for webOS 2, I m not sure if it will work right away on Touchpad.

The only problem I have with splashtop is that it doesn't do encryption, I hope Teamviewer will come to webOS.

As always, if its an important feature for you, only buy touchpad when you are sure it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    Thanks, that looks like it would do it as long as it works on the TP. I am sure it will at some point. Will be nice getting rid of the Macbook when traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The only problem I have with splashtop is that it doesn't do encryption, I hope Teamviewer will come to webOS.
    Is encryption an issue if one is on an encrypted WiFi system?
    Quote Originally Posted by fday View Post
    Is encryption an issue if one is on an encrypted WiFi system?
    it is, when data is transferred between host pc and your tablets, it is unencrypted.

Still, it may not be important if you don't have sensitive data like passwords, credit card, SSN, etc.
    it is, when data is transferred between host pc and your tablets, it is unencrypted.

Still, it may not be important if you don't have sensitive data like passwords, credit card, SSN, etc.
    I don't understand. I would be using the touchpad to connect directly to an encripted WIFI router (my MiFi) to then connect to my Mac at home which is connected to the Internet via ethernet. Where is the problem there? Isn't the transfer using WPA protocol encrypted and "safe"?

If you're on an access point that is encrypted all data is encrypted. If you're on a public access point (like airport, coffee shop, etc.) the only time your data is encrypted is when you're connecting to a network over SSL.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fday View Post
    I don't understand. I would be using the touchpad to connect directly to an encripted WIFI router (my MiFi) to then connect to my Mac at home which is connected to the Internet via ethernet. Where is the problem there? Isn't the transfer using WPA protocol encrypted and "safe"?
    The connection between your device and the ROUTER is secure, but then, anyone with access to the network traffic between the local wireless access point and the remote computer will see an unsecured connection. Remember, the Internet is, by definition, a network of networks, so it goes from ISP to ISP to ISP to connect YOU to the remote computer, and anyone who is listening in along the way COULD potentially capture that information. SSL helps a little, but most communications are unencrypted, so that is why people are worried about security.

Then again, if your computer at home is open so YOU can connect to it remotely, that opens up the potential for someone else to get in. This is where the various services, like gotomypc come in handy, because your computer at home is the one that has opened the connection to that service, and you get to your home computer through that established connection. In a way, it is far more secure than your normal "remote PC", where the machine can be accessed remotely as long as the password is known.