Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Was watching the video for HP Discover on the front page, noticed one thing.

At 8:07, they mentioned the goal of Touch to Share was for "people to sit around and share, to tap my phone on your TouchPad."

Now one thing, if you look at the Palm website explaining Touch to Share, see footnote 5, it seems to contradict what he says:

HP TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad - TouchPad Computer

5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection. Functionality may not be available in all regions. Not all phones are available in all regions.
    So how does that work? I'm pretty sure different people will NOT be sharing the same Palm Profile.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I think TTS is something that will be refined over time. I think that it originated as a feature a person would use with their devices hence same profile, but as it matures internally it can grow into something much bigger which is what the manager alluded to.
    it's bluetooth sending over an url. I see no point in requiring same webos profile.
    I sure hope TTS expands beyond URLs. Like sharing photos, sharing things across Pre3s, etc.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, it seems they are very much playing with the concept. i think at the end of the day if it is copywritten material then u will proabbly need to have the same profile. if not then it can be used for anybody. but that maybe a lil bit confusing so i have no idea -=X
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yeah, it seems they are very much playing with the concept. i think at the end of the day if it is copywritten material then u will proabbly need to have the same profile. if not then it can be used for anybody. but that maybe a lil bit confusing so i have no idea -=X
    I agree. So maybe if you have a song on your TouchPad you can transfer it to your phone (same profile) but if you try transferring it to someone else's you'll get a message saying that it can't be transferred.

I hope HP can use its reach to get this on 3rd party items like cameras or memory cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I sure hope TTS expands beyond URLs. Like sharing photos, sharing things across Pre3s, etc.
    It will and they have stated that they plan to mature it this way in the future. I can imagine Touch-to-Print technology with all their printers and other features like transferring Documents for the larger screen.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Not sure. Bluetooth transfer isn't the fastest thing on earth. It won't be fun trying to share a picture.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The same profile is not needed. If you try sharing a url with a device that is using a different profile a pop up notification will appear asking if you'd like to accept the incoming transfer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    The same profile is not needed. If you try sharing a url with a device that is using a different profile a pop up notification will appear asking if you'd like to accept the incoming transfer.

Actually, it will just ask you if you want to pair the Bluetooth device (mentioned in the above video)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    oh and every developer has access to the TTS api so it will go way beyond just websites.
    THANKS~!!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Not sure. Bluetooth transfer isn't the fastest thing on earth. It won't be fun trying to share a picture.
    There's a new standard that combines Bluetooth with Wi-Fi. Uses Bluetooth to initiate the connection then transfers over the ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although don't think the TouchPad supports that right now.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    There's a new standard that combines Bluetooth with Wi-Fi. Uses Bluetooth to initiate the connection then transfers over the ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although don't think the TouchPad supports that right now.
    nice, maybe in the future touchpad.

don't want Touch to share becomes "put down have a tea while they share"
    In the video of the future of HP there's a part were a girl shares a song with a guy using what it looks like a future version of touch-to-share: (look at 1:08)
    Why do we even need to 'touch'? I'd like functionality like Apple showed recently ("AirDrop"), which shows without configuration all devices in reach and you can send them stuff.
    I imagine me and my girlfriend in our living room. Me lounging on the couch, she maybe sitting at the dinner table. Me: "Hey check out that recipe! Come here so I can touch your pad with my pre" She: "If I come to you I can check it out on your phone, no need to TTS it" See?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Why do we even need to 'touch'? I'd like functionality like Apple showed recently ("AirDrop"), which shows without configuration all devices in reach and you can send them stuff.
    I imagine me and my girlfriend in our living room. Me lounging on the couch, she maybe sitting at the dinner table. Me: "Hey check out that recipe! Come here so I can touch your pad with my pre" She: "If I come to you I can check it out on your phone, no need to TTS it" See?
    Its already easy enough to share media by making a few clicks. Email, text, wifi sharing, bluetooth transfers... That's all standard stuff. Touch to share, however, can share multimedia (well currently only links) wirelessly without physically touching, hitting buttons, or selections options. Doesn't work all for everything, but it is much quicker and easier in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    without physically touching
    I thought exactly that is the case. I have to touch one device with the other. Did I misunderstand something?
    I agree there are already a lot of options for sharing. But then why invent TTS in the first place?
    As I said I'd like configuration-free sharing over the local wlan. BT: too much configuration (for normal person anyway), too slow. Text (you mean SMS right?): only text, not local. EMail: not local, takes too long (up- and downloading of media, if at all possible). Local wifi sharing: that's what I want, but please without having to physically touch, and without configuration and setup. Like Apple's AirDrop. I like it. Of course the functionality that you don't have to touch any buttons if you bump the devices together could also be included.
    I ask myself the same. Do we really need to physically touch the two devices?
    If yes, what sensor recognize it?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The Touch part of Touch-To-Share is for two reasons
    1) quick authentication of devices
    2) "don't-make-me-think" quick transfers.

TTS eliminates the need to dig through menus in order to authenticate access for one or more devices. Simply touch the two devices together and confirm. After that the two devices are automatically paired via bluetooth and can be used without touching for supported activities (e.g. phone/message transfer). This functionality can be expanded to other applications. The possibilities are limitless here, think hybrid solutions with bluetooth to set the initial connection and transfer wireless settings to open full on sharing, hotspot, simulcasting video, gaming, etc.,.

This also allows for dead simple data transfer. The example case is sending the URL to the phone. TTS is still simpler than e-mailing and probably slightly better than using Neato! But think of other situations like: I'm sitting with a friend and we're looking at our kids birthday party pictures and they want a picture that has their kid in it. I could
    1) email it and then they have to save it somewhere
    2) facebook it and make them dig for it there
    3) send them a link to it for some 3rd party site
    4) figure out how to create a share and allow them access
    OR
    Have them touch their phone to my TouchPad, confirm transfer, et voila!

I would guess that a very high percentage of people who are transfering links or photos are doing it ONE at a time. TTS is perfect for that, while also allowing the capability to do so much more once developers start using the API.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, TTS is simple. thats the beauty of it. whatever is on ure screen, u touch and it transfers.
    no typing, no pushing buttons, just touch and go. simple.
    THANKS~!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast