Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off: Anyone coming to this thread with the intention of a "just be patient" "what, you can't wait the weekend?" or a "hey you bum it will arrive when it arrives!" Can go away. Not looking for that kind of discussion.

Anyway, I was contacted by my rep about the July 1st date that we now all know well about. I replied and told him I would like it on the 1st and not to have to wait until it shipped AFTER the holiday. I'd like to be there day one. This is the conversation that followed (with his name removed):

We will be shipping out ASAP. If you place the order early it should arrive on the July the 5th. This will save you the hassle of driving to the store, waiting in line and possibly missing out altogether. If you purchase direct you also have me as a resource if you have any issues. I can direct you to the correct people if you have any questions, problems(although I don’t see you having any) or if you even want to purchase additional products. Just remember patience is a virtue.
    Thank you for your continued support. However, I would like to plan on having it that weekend, especially for the long weekend. I feel that I have had enough patience (especially with my original Palm Pre device which has seen zero support from HP) for a new webOS device, and as I do appreciate your help, I'd rather be a day one early adopter. I'll be purchasing my TouchPad in the morning as to avoid any possible stores out of stock, although thanks to HP's wide retail availability, I don't see too much of a problem with that.

If availability would change at all, as in the ability to guarantee I have it in hand on the first of July, please contact me as I would love to purchase directly from you.
    The units will not ship out to stores earlier than the 1st. So you will actually receive it before it arrives in stores. So you will basically have it the same day or sooner than our retail partners.
    So the retail stores and HP are going to be missing out on a holiday weekend release, and instead are going to release post-holiday on the 5th?
    You are correct. Good luck.

Now, I appreciate his correspondence and I would still purchase one from him. I know he was trying to do his job, but I feel like he was selling me some bs in order to get me to buy it from him. I just don't see how the retail stores and HP misses out on the holiday weekend sales, just to release it on the 5th. I also don't believe there are going to be people waiting outside every retail store near me, and finding one won't be tough. This isn't the iPad released at 3 stores within a 50 mile radius of me. I feel like he got mad at me and told me the whole July 5th retail garbage as a last ditch effort. And the whole 'patience is a virtue' statement kind of ****ed me off.

Anyone else talking to their rep? What are they telling you? This whole situation seems just very odd to me to be 'shipping' on a Friday before a holiday. I'm not really buying it. I can see the stores getting shipments maybe the day before, and then it's full release on Friday (to which HP ships it), and the stores release it.

My fanboyism may be coming out, but it's tough being on an old Palm Pre from Sprint, still stuck on 1.4.5. HP - begin to make it right... Begin by telling your reps what's up, or tell us what the deal is.
    It would be a joke if nobody can get it anywhere on July 1st.
    This seems really odd.

My guess is the rummors we were hearing of Wal-Mart getting the TouchPad on the 22nd of June are true. The TouchPad will arrive and displays be stocked with two demo units around the 22nd. Sales will start on the 1st. At least that would make more sense to me than saying it releases on the 1st and it's not really until the 5th. Especially since you can 'pre-order' on the 19th!
    I am sure you have seen my posts in other threads but my rep told me the US retailers wont have it until the 5th as well. I tend to believe the rep over what people "think". It would be super scummy of HP to have multiple salesman spreading this information if it is indeed false. I just want to know where to purchase my TouchPad. I would like official word from HP.

I want my TouchPad as soon as possible as well. Patience is for people that haven't been waiting since last year for a webOS tablet.
    If this is true (July 5th) it is ridiculous. Why say the 1st if you mean the 5th?
    Have you guys never bought a product on launch day before???

They ship to the stores early and the stores can't put it out til the release date. But I know several best buy employees who often get to play with the new stuff in the back a couple days before the official release.

Yeah if you pre-order a product to be shipped to you it doesn't always arrive that day. This is why I always do in-store pre-orders.

Are we really so wrapped up in the tiniest details that HP gives us that we freak out about something as trivial as this?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    It's not the pre-order that I'm concerned about. I read in another post that pre-orders will arrive on the 2nd.

What would bother me is HP saying you can go to the retailer and pick it up on the 1st but you really can't until the 5th...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Didn't HP put out a press release yesterday saying July 1st?
    The TouchPad will be available for Purchase on July 1st. When companies do a press release for a product launch it is available for sale that day. Why on earth would they announce July 1st as the day they are shipping it to retailers, and end up not being able to sell them until the 5th. It absolutely makes no sense.

That HP rep basically said what he had to, to get you to pre-order from him. As far as shipping goes, hopefully they do decide to ship it to customers so that it arrives on July 1st, if not I would just go to the store & buy it.
    I just emailed Leslie Letts @ HP, the contact at the bottom of the official press release:

HP Announces HP TouchPad Availability for United States, Europe and Canada | Business Wire

I asked if the HP Touchpad would be shipping to retailers on July 1st or be in store available for purchase on July 1st.

Her response:

We announced TouchPad will be available for sale on July 1. It will be available for pre-order beginning June 19 at hp.com/touchpad.

I take this as, July 1st the units will be in stock and ready to purchase at retailers. I will not bother with online pre order.
    This will probably get merged with the other thread.... funny thing to me, is in one response he talks about not having to wait in line at stores.... then he tells you stores will get it the same day you will. If that was the case, why would he have not mentioned you won't get it any sooner at retail then from him initially.

I am still on the sales people are sales people and have little to no knowledge of high level distribution. Not to mention any sales person telling you it will not be in stores on the 1st only potentially gains a sale by saying you will have it the same day as the retailers.

One last thing, even if HP is doing free overnight without Sat delivery for individual customers. So I am saying, assuming you believe they will ship to retail locations the same day July 1st, that sales people are claiming. There is NO WAY those shipments to retailers wouldn't include a Saturday delivery. These small business sales reps have nothing to do with retail distribution, these guys are paid to cater to enterprise customers.

I have spent 8 of my almost 30 years of life in retail, it just doesn't work like that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    In my experience with pre-orders they usually ship it before so that you get it on the launch date. Shipping it on June 1st would kinda defeat the purpose of pre ordering it because I can just go to the store on June 1st and pick it up!!
    It's the 1st. I've heard of at least a few HP reps saying the 5th, and have to say that that makes precisely zero sense.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It's the 1st. I've heard of at least a few HP reps saying the 5th, and have to say that that makes precisely zero sense.
    Maybe the reps are reading these forums and seeing people quote other reps as saying the 5th so now all the reps are just saying the 5th, because some P|C users can't comprehend how a product release works.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    My rep said, yeah, you can buy it locally, on the 1st, but what if you get there and they are sold out? If you order from me, I'll include free 2 day shipping and you don't have to worry about it being sold at at the local store.

To which I'm thinking, unless some major advertising hits, I'll be #1 in a line of 1 person long at wally world at midnight to get mine. Needless to say, I didn't choose to buy through HP.

That said, I WILL be at Wal-Mart AND Sam's Club AND possibly Best Buy on the 19th to pre-order or put my name on a list or whatever it takes. When the 30th rolls around, I'll reconsult my options and make sure I'm at the top of the list somewhere and I'll cancel all my other pre-orders. I really am hoping for midnight of the 30th/1st at wal-mart.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I talked via phone to my HP rep this morning and she told me to remind her to ask for free overnight shipping when she calls on June 19th. I would get it on July 2nd. Not that it matters, but she is located in Dallas, TX. She couldn't promise me she could beat my HP EPP but I'm going to check before we talk on June 19th.
    Last edited by slusmiles; 06/10/2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Just adding additional comments
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Have you guys never bought a product on launch day before???
    I haven't. That's why I'm confused as to what this rep is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    It's not the pre-order that I'm concerned about. I read in another post that pre-orders will arrive on the 2nd.

What would bother me is HP saying you can go to the retailer and pick it up on the 1st but you really can't until the 5th...
    Exactly. That's why I'm thinking this rep just wants to make the sale, and he got mad, and hurried to a conclusion and told me "Good luck." I just wanted to see from others what they were hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    My rep said, yeah, you can buy it locally, on the 1st, but what if you get there and they are sold out? If you order from me, I'll include free 2 day shipping and you don't have to worry about it being sold at at the local store.

To which I'm thinking, unless some major advertising hits, I'll be #1 in a line of 1 person long at wally world at midnight to get mine. Needless to say, I didn't choose to buy through HP.
    You hit the nail on the head. I'll stop by Best Buy on my way to work and grab one when they open, however, I'm not concerned about lines. Even if there is, there's a Target across the street. Or a Staples. Or Office Depot. Highly doubt anyone is going to have one person standing outside. If there is, I really don't need this rep anyway.

And Derek, I agree that it doesn't make sense. I'll keep beating a dead horse and mentioning a holiday weekend. I worked in retail at Office Max -- You don't miss holidays. Ever. Of any kind.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Here's to hoping for some good retail bundles to make the release a little more competitive
    Yea this is very much bothersome to me, as I am a huge fan of webOS and original pre owner on sprint. I want it THE DAY its out. I dont want to prebuy & get it on the week after if I can go to the store on Friday & get it and have the whole weekend to use it. I anticipate even if stores only get 1 or 2 i'll easily be able to walk in and buy one at a bestbuy, staples, etc. I look forward to knowing if HP plans to ship them on the 1st or have them to us by the 1st...as I have Friday off work
    I wish Radio Shack would carry it at launch, seeing as i work there, but we probably won't touch it, unless it starts fast.

I just emailed my hp rep asking him when i would receive it, and he stated the same thing you guys are saying here. it would ship out on the 1st which is crazy. there is no reason they can't ship it out on the 29th or 30th unless they really are that pressed with any last second changes.

Does anyone know if amazon is launching on the first, or are they still sticking with their 17th launch date?
    The cake is a lie.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast