1.    #1  
    Can't find what I'm looking for after a few searches...

What tools can be expected to force compliance standards (lock down) and deploy software to HP Touchpads? We don't have any app virtualization tools like Citrix XenApp or the like. The IT dept., for the small school district I work for, is really trying to avoid an influx of ipads, so I need more ammo for the Hp Touchpad and webOS. Some of our educational admins are hot for touchpad anything, using "ipad" like we now use the word "kleenex." Some of them are trendy brand conscience and are hesitant to entertain anything but ipads.

We're strapped for cash, especially the IT department (budget decreased by ~25%, bearly enough for fixed costs and service and support renewals); the district let go nearly 20% of its workforce. We'd also like to avoid paying for 3rd party management tools for any mobile devices.

Our educational admins won't give one red cent for us to manage their new toys so long as they can get what they want, until we tell them they have to bring it to us so we can do what ever it is they need us to do. The departments that have the money won't spent it on management software, because for them it's intangible and translates as a few less devices in the field.

How enterprise ready is webOS and the HP Touchpad?

Thanks
    I think I would contact HP directly with these questions.

Are you planning to use these in a 1:1 setting?
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    I think I would contact HP directly with these questions.

Are you planning to use these in a 1:1 setting?
    I agree. With direct approach you can maybe get some good deal. Its funny but we haven't really herd much about user rights management or remote locking on TP.
    Well, HP has a solution for this in their software portfolio called Client Automation. They should build an agent for WebOS. I know it is already on every Windows PC they ship. It's very slick software and is used to package and deploy applications to end-points for small, medium and enterprise environments. It can be set to enforce a desired state for your environment; thus your IT dept can control the end state of your employees and departments.

More info at these two locations:

Client Automation | HP Software

HP Client Automation Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do believe they have a lite version for small outfits.

This is how I would do it if HP creates an Client Automation for WebOS. This could be huge for enterprise businesses that are concerned with the control, or lack there of if they hand these out to employees.
  5.    #5  
    I talked with a rep and she said they won't be given such information until the day it's released, July 1st. Talk about droping the ball for enterprise support. 3 weeks away and they can't tell how it can be managed.

I'm still excited but not happy.
    I talked to an HP rep in April that said they were working with LanSchool. LanSchool would allow you to control student rights.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    I talked to an HP rep in April that said they were working with LanSchool. LanSchool would allow you to control student rights.
    We use the free version right now. I remember seeing the HP LanSchool thread, but I don't think LanSchool lets you lock out system features and roll out configurations on new devices. Will it prevent someone from installing Internalz or Preware or changing network configurations. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
    I'm not sure about that. I guess how LanSchool works on TouchPad and computer may be different also. It still doesn't show as a supported device on the LanSchool site unless 'thin client' mean everything but iPad.

You could always email them to find out more. sales@lanschool.com or support@lanschool.com

I just emailed LanSchool to see if the TouchPad will be supported. Maybe you should too! Let them know there is interest!
    Last edited by iowahawk19; 06/10/2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added info
    Reply from LanSchool:

"It is our desire to support a broad variety of mobile/tablet devices with a Student and/or a Teacher’s Assistant application. HP support is on our list, but I would say this one is a platform we have only begun to investigate. It will likely be several months before a version for the TouchPad will be available, but I would recommend signing up for product news and updates to stay up-to-date on our releases. We really appreciate your interest in our products and hope that you will have a great experience using it in your school.

Thanks,
    --------

--------
    VP of Engineering
    LanSchool Technologies
    www.lanschool.com"

Impressed with the quick reply but I wish the answer was different!
    I didn't research much and not sure how or if this may help at some point:

HP School Cloud - Instructional Desktop (HP Public Sector)

SchoolCloud Frequently Asked Questions :: classlink.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    I talked with a rep and she said they won't be given such information until the day it's released, July 1st. Talk about droping the ball for enterprise support. 3 weeks away and they can't tell how it can be managed.

I'm still excited but not happy.
    I'm in the same boat, but we have the iPads thanks to DonorChoose, now all the Teachers that got one complain because they all want wireless everywhere to use them...well DonorChoose should have bundled up the Enterprise Wireless devices to help out us IT guys...but they don't...

I would imagine that they are in the works for a centralized management software application. But that will not help you as it will have a cost included in it. It will also likely come out initially clunky and lacking the full feature set that is desired/needed. They want this to be a Business/Enterprise used phone so they will need to have this management unlike the consumer product which is the iPad. Likely it will be folded into one of their existing managment software suites, what you'll want to hope for is that someone that you have a SLA with will carry support for the device so it will cost nothing for you. They (HP) will also have to give the developers access to the core OS to accomplish the management which is something Apple hasn't given out yet and thus why you don't see complete management software for those either. There are some out there that manage to an extent, but frankly not to the full extent that you have currently with products out there for PC/MACs and that is because the tablet and their OS is not the same, but with WebOS suppose to be coming to Laptops, that leads me to believe that centralized management will also need to be. They just can't make the same mistake as Apple and tie the device/app store to a single account.
    I'm just guessing here, but if they are planning on integrating their own management system it will likely be a feature set of their Client Automation system or their HP Operation Center suite...but likely they are working that out in the background and wont have a final answer on their direction until they launch the unit.

But for schools that likely don't have either of those products, they would be better served to partner with someone like Novell, Microsoft, LanSchool, Filewave, Casper, Sophos, McAfee and others that already have a desktop software mangement applications out in Schools...but that is just my opinion...
    If you are a LanSchool user please log in and vote for webOS support here: http://lanschool.uservoice.com/forum...nes-?ref=title

I was told Android is there next push and that webOS would be several months away. However they seem to pay a lot of attention to user input. Android has 4 votes of support currently while webOS has 3. There isn't a lot of traffic on their site. The top idea only has 27 votes!

If you've never been to the LanSchool idea forum you can request an log in here! http://lanschool.uservoice.com/forum...t-enhancements

If nothing else email Ben (ben@lanschool.com) and tell LanSchool to support webOS!

Thanks,
    Last edited by iowahawk19; 06/13/2011 at 10:58 AM.
  14.    #14  
    After 20 - 30 minutes of getting transferred in circles, an HP rep, basically, said they have nothing available to manage webOS Touchpads from a corporate/enterprise IT stand point. No lock down or deployment tools are available.

I seriously think HP's missing a big opportunity to be the go to device similar to Blackberry's adoption by corporate America.