Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you want GPS feature wait for 3G/4G models.
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts
    It will still locate you pretty good if not great with WiFi.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Well, my Sprint Pre- has GPS that works pretty well. And that's already a sketchy proposition in Minnesota (new law that says you can't fuss with your phone while driving). Why the heck would I need a tablet giving me GPS?

Though I guess I can see why some feature-addicts would call the tablet incomplete without it.

Snark aside, thanks for that update. Some folks may find it useful, but I never expected to use a tablet for GPS..
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh i plan to use the TP mostly around the home. got a phone to tell me where i am -=D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5.    #5  
    Its not a deal breaker for me and most people, but I figured I would just put it out there. Not sure if there's alot of GPS specific apps that would use it anyway on a tablet.
    Does webOS even have voice guided turn by turn GPS apps like TomTom or Garmin or CoPilot in the first place, ones that don't depend on a data connection?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Believe it or not, the lack of GPS kind of ****es me off. Not sure if I'd buy a tablet anyway, but I think I would use GPS quite a bit. I can see using it when a passenger in a car, or for things like Redbox. I'm sure it would only be an occasional need, but why not include it?

I suppose my fury will abate some once I get a Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Does webOS even have voice guided turn by turn GPS apps like TomTom or Garmin or CoPilot in the first place, ones that don't depend on a data connection?
    ndrive
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Well, we have SPP on webOS. Has anybody attempted to pair a Bluetooth GPS with a webOS device?

And, by the way, I think none of the Touchpads have GPS, only aGPS in the 3G versions

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I guess, how will they use GPS, if there is no radio in it. I thought GPS chip has to be tied to a radio signal in order to work.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    sprint navigation is awesome and a kiler app. Many a trip w the phone gps mapping!

wish touchpad wifi had gps but not a dealbreaker.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Believe it or not, the lack of GPS kind of ****es me off. Not sure if I'd buy a tablet anyway, but I think I would use GPS quite a bit. I can see using it when a passenger in a car, or for things like Redbox. I'm sure it would only be an occasional need, but why not include it?

How would you be using GPS as a passenger in the car with a wifi device? The 3G device will have GPS, just not the wifi device.
  13.    #13  
    That's what i'm talking about, aGPS will only be in 3G version. Its still GPS.

Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS or aGPS, is a system which can, under certain conditions, improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF) of a GPS satellite-based positioning system.
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    How would you be using GPS as a passenger in the car with a wifi device? The 3G device will have GPS, just not the wifi device.
    With an app like Ndrive, which stores maps on-device, or using hotspot internet access for other mapping apps like Google Maps.

NOT willing to pay for a data plan just to get aGPS.
    That star watching app on the iPad...
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I guess, how will they use GPS, if there is no radio in it. I thought GPS chip has to be tied to a radio signal in order to work.
    You got it. It's the cellular radio chipset that provides the GPS capability.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post

If it operates anything like the iPad tethered to the iPhone, it should be able to acquire location services through the Pre 3/Veer at a fairly accurate and timely interval.

On the iPad 2 (wifi only, no GPS), tethered to my iPhone 4 it's accurate enough to track you driving down the road.
    I must admit, GPS would be nice on a Tablet, but I'm not going to shell out $30/month to have 3G and GPS access. Someone out their has figured a way to tether WIFI so I can imagine GPS is on the way also. I can always hope and pray! Sorli...
    Getting GPS to work on the TouchPad will probably require Bluetooth, not WiFi. Assuming the TouchPad supports the serial BT profile, you may be able to purchase a BT GPS transceiver to keep in your car for use with the TouchPad. This is what I had to do with my old Motorola Q, since GPS was locked on it. However the TouchPad will need to support both the serial BT profile and the necessary drivers for getting the GPS transceiver to talk to your navigation software.

The drivers are usually the hard part. But if it does not work with the built-in drivers, I am sure the homebrewers will be able to find a solution.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Getting GPS to work on the TouchPad will probably require Bluetooth, not WiFi. Assuming the TouchPad supports the serial BT profile, you may be able to purchase a BT GPS transceiver to keep in your car for use with the TouchPad. This is what I had to do with my old Motorola Q, since GPS was locked on it. However the TouchPad will need to support both the serial BT profile and the necessary drivers for getting the GPS transceiver to talk to your navigation software.

The drivers are usually the hard part. But if it does not work with the built-in drivers, I am sure the homebrewers will be able to find a solution.
    Mmm... didn't I mentioned this earlier?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast