Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually you could do it through bluetooth or wifi. If you want to pay for the BT GPS transceiver that's cool. But if I'm already going all out and want to get the Pre3 or Veer as well as the TouchPad then why waste money on that? It seems that I recall them trying to sell the idea of a Pre and iPad together through tethering or wifi setup when iPad first came out. Why wouldn't they do the same with their own in house products?
    Normally, tethering shares only Internet data, not GPS data. There have been apps written for iOS for transmitting GPS information via WiFi, but that requires the app to make it work. I'm not aware of any such app for WebOS. HP could implement a built-in solution to share GPS data via a WiFi tether, but I've not heard any mention of that either.

I agree, it would be nice if the GPS worked via WiFi, but if it doesn't, then purchasing a BT GPS transceiver is still cheaper than purchasing a 3G TouchPad and paying for a data plan just to get GPS functionality.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    No GPS is a big deal for me, but i'm not paying for a data plan. I doubt WiFi can be used as a)You need a data connection to the google database b)I need GPS where there is no WiFi at all(often no network coverage either).

As HP haven't announced anything, I assume the being able to share the Pre/Veer GPS won't be present at launch.

Potential solutions

1)Wait for HP to sort it out. We are getting good at waiting.

2)The Bluetooth SPP would allow specially written apps to tie into the GPS NMEA stream from a bluetooth GPS. The apps would need to be modified to do this, but it's not that hard.

3)The SDK Virtual Device has a feature to manually spoof a GPS stream into the main OS for dev purposes. It's probably possible on the real device too. Potentially GPS bridge app could be made to link a bluetooth GPS to the main OS.

4)As above with an app on the Pre/Veer to hook into the device GPS.

As far as I know that's the art of the possible. I'm sure loads of people would pay for such an app if HP would allow it.
    Ideally, using a BT GPS transceiver will require no additional software or drivers. I am cautiously optimistic that this may be the case. As long as the COM port for the internal GPS device normally used by a cellular radio is not reserved, the BT transceiver should be able to connect to that same COM port, in which case the presence of the BT GPS transceiver would be transparent to the app. For example, if the internal cellular GPS device normally provided location data on COM1, then attaching a BT GPS to COM1 via SPP should work without any additional steps.

However, we don't yet know whether or not the internal GPS COM port will be reserved. But this does seem very promising:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html

Bluetooth Serial Port Protocol (SPP)

webOS 2.0 exposes the Bluetooth SPP to applications needing to take advantage of certain bluetooth devices. At this time, only the SPP is exposed. The code samples contain an example Bluetooth project which opens a port to a Bluetooth GPS device and reads position data from it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Ideally, using a BT GPS transceiver will require no additional software or drivers. I am cautiously optimistic that this may be the case. As long as the COM port for the internal GPS device normally used by a cellular radio is not reserved, the BT transceiver should be able to connect to that same COM port, in which case the presence of the BT GPS transceiver would be transparent to the app. For example, if the internal cellular GPS device normally provided location data on COM1, then attaching a BT GPS to COM1 via SPP should work without any additional steps.

However, we don't yet know whether or not the internal GPS COM port will be reserved. But this does seem very promising:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html
    yeeehhhh what he said
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You got it. It's the cellular radio chipset that provides the GPS capability.
    Well, Garmin does it without cellular radios. I'm talking about standalone GPS.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    if ure willing to wait hp will be releasing products that have prepaid internet... i think for tablets especially is really useful since u may not use it on the rd alot but when u do u have that option
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Didn't they say on Feb 9th that it will have GPS, just not aGPS on the wifi model, as aGPS uses the cell towers to assist the location calculation.

It should have GPS, but will just take a little longer to attain a location than the model with 3G/4G
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlD89 View Post
    Didn't they say on Feb 9th that it will have GPS, just not aGPS on the wifi model, as aGPS uses the cell towers to assist the location calculation.

It should have GPS, but will just take a little longer to attain a location than the model with 3G/4G
    No, it was said since the beggining of times that the Wifi model would not hve gps and the 3G would have only aGPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    That star watching app on the iPad...
    Agreed. the Star Walk iPad app is incredibly cool, but requires GPS. You hold it up to the sky and it shows where all the stars, planets, galaxies, and whatnot are, as if it was a glass window.
    It's pretty disappointing that they can't include GPS when the leading device they are priced to compete with does.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I guess, how will they use GPS, if there is no radio in it. I thought GPS chip has to be tied to a radio signal in order to work.
    No, you have got it backwards. GPS is included with most 3G radios because Qualcomm sells a sku that already has it (since GPS is mandated by FCC now for phones). Adding GPS with 3G is a no-brainer since it is already there.

A-GPS or assisted GPS is a technology that uses the 3G cell tower triangulation to decrease the time for first lock (since it already has a pretty good idea where you are; based on cell towers). Verizon has been bricking their GPSs by making it mandatory for the GPS to get first lock from their cell tower which is only provided to the customers if they opt-in for the $10 verizon navigator. This results is an actual increase in time for the lock since the GPS actually waits for the session to time out several times before using the regular GPS method. Verizon has basically taken an enhancement and bricked it while causing mass confusion about a feature that is supposed to make things better.
    To my knowledge all honeycomb tablets even wifi models have GPS built-in including ASUS Transformer. HP is just following iPad model. I wish they start copying stuff from other vendors too.
    No GPS is pretty huge blow. One of my friend bought refurbished ipad 3g version just to get the GPS navigation with big screen. I think he paid little over $300, and it's thousand times better than having Garmin or TomTom navigation in the car. I have wifi iPad, without having GPS, it sucks. I often wish I had GPS builtin my iPad.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I have a bluetooth GPS i bought and used with my Treo 650 for TomTom, and still use with my laptop for Streets & Trips, but wasn't going to hold out hope that it would tether to my TP. One of my primary uses for a tablet is travel, so back in March when I saw the specs for the TP didn't include GPS on the WiFi version - and the WiFi Motorola Xoom has GPS - I bought the Xoom and love it.

I have CoPilot for 5 bucks (maps aren't particularly current but it works) and Google Maps & Navigation both cache your route if you set it up while on WiFi. If i need to change my route it takes a minute to tether to my Pre2 or Pixi+. Plus there are multiple offroad/backcountry apps that will cache topo maps for my destination.

GPS in a tablet is a great feature

Cheers, Clarice

p.s. Google Sky on the Xoom with GPS is super cool too (star map)
    Two Questions: Do you need GPS for setting your exhibition modes on the touch stone charging dock? I was under the impression this was based off of location of where you’re charging the Touchpad. Can you take calls and messages from a pre3 or veer without GPS on the Touchpad? I know Calls and messages use Bluetooth but wanted to confirm a WiFi only mode would be able to use this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's pretty disappointing that they can't include GPS when the leading device they are priced to compete with does.
    The iPad 1/2 doesn't have GPS on the WiFi versions. Playbook and many othe Android tabs do. But i think you have to call the iPad the leading device right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If it operates anything like the iPad tethered to the iPhone, it should be able to acquire location services through the Pre 3/Veer at a fairly accurate and timely interval.

On the iPad 2 (wifi only, no GPS), tethered to my iPhone 4 it's accurate enough to track you driving down the road.
    Have you been able to use any of the star/sky map apps on your iPad2 via the tether GPS? Just wondering, since i hope one day webOS will have that star-gazing tool on its platform.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Not having GPS on a table for me is a meh. That is what my smartphone will be for.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12