Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The person that called from HP just sent this email:

In regards to the voicemail I left you this afternoon, I wanted to pass along the new information on the Touchpad.

The official release date is July 1st. The Small Medium Business Department will be the only department with a pre-order process, which will begin on Sunday June 19th. I will be available to order your Touchpad for you so we can make sure your order is fulfilled first, as we are expecting a large demand with the upcoming release.

The price point will be $499 for the 16GB model and $599 for the $32GB model. The optional accessories are the HP Touchstone Charging Dock, HP Touchpad Wireless Keyboard and HP Touchpad Carrying Case.

If you have any additional questions or want to preorder, let me know!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Though the OP worded it terribly wrong in each attempt that he tried to clarify, I do agree with his point. I'm sure they are arranging it to arrive on Friday (July 1) or probably Saturday.

No, it's not the end of the world but it does make a valid point that if you preorder something the general consensus is to receive it the day its available, not half a week later, hence the point of a preorder.

Also: He said "I'm not buying it" to the release date and shipment date conjecture, not about purchasing the device itself.

People on this forum are getting edgier and edgier every day, everyone just needs to chill out for about 3 seconds after reading a post... before rabidly hitting Reply/Quote and holding down the Shift key.
    I would get with this assumption, except he mentioned BRICK AND MORTAR stores. We all know brick and mortar get product prior to release date.

Maybe you are right and it was just a bad attempt at expressing a though, but bringing brick and mortar into it does *sound* like a horrible understanding of product release cycles.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    ...People on this forum are getting edgier and edgier every day, everyone just needs to chill out for about 3 seconds after reading a post... before rabidly hitting Reply/Quote and holding down the Shift key.
    I agree. I saw the following post in another thread. I think it explains what's going on in the community & why we get these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    @Sinime
    WebOSSillySeasonitis is a disease that afflicts many of us. It's a swelling of the brain caused by both excitement for new devices but a lack of anything actually happening.

Symptoms include but not limited to:

• Ridiculous nonsensical posts
    • Re-reading old articles about upcoming WebOS products, over and over again.
    • Begging Sprint Chat to confirm the exsistance of the Pre 3 on Sprint and claiming it God's word when they acquiesce.
    • Trying to shoehorn WebOS 2.1 on a Pixi out of desperation for some newness
    • Seeing signs of WebOS flourishing everywhere when it's just stuff about web

If you suffer from one or more of these please take a deep breath, put all electronic devices down and take a nice walk outside for 10-30 minutes, longer when possible.
    hilarious... people have been waiting forever for an official date and i guess the day after hope is lost, they... hp... horses mouth... give a date and people/person doesn't believe it.

they should have called TP... TR... 'The Rapture' instead.

from leo's mouth "It's coming July 1st i tell ya!!"

If they say July 1st... I believe them. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    I'm not buying this release date and the fact that HP will only have product on July 1st. Why would anyone ship something on July 1st? When are the brick and mortar stores going to get product?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Release date does not equal ship date. Some stores probably already have TouchPads in stock, waiting to be released.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Pre-orders will ship overnight on June 30 and will be delivered on July 1. Its really that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Release date does not equal ship date. Some stores probably already have TouchPads in stock, waiting to be released.
    Display devices, maybe. I doubt many stores have many in their stock room. Most stores these days try to have as little back there as possible. I would expect them to start arriving at distribution centers in about a week.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Maybe he was right to not "buy" the July 1st date. Straight from my HP sales Rep.

I forgot that weekend is a holiday weekend and the delivery services do not deliver on the weekend. This means you can expect the Touchpad about the 5th of July. This also means that retailers such as Wal-Mart and BestBuy will be seeing the same delay. No matter which way you look at it. You will be receiving it the same day as retail stores. Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Maybe he was right to not "buy" the July 1st date. Straight from my HP sales Rep.
    Sales reps don't necessarily have knowledge on distribution. First of all the big box retailers will not be receiving their stock via a public parcel service that would deliver to your house.

I would say you are dealing with either a bad or new sales rep. Possibly new since they have been doing this big enterprise push with WebOS, or new to the WebOS news (hasn't actually asked questions on actual distribution).

Especially with him saying couriers don't deliver on Saturday, I think all that do overnight have some form of Saturday delivery at least in major metropolis cities.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sales reps don't necessarily have knowledge on distribution. First of all the big box retailers will not be receiving their stock via a public parcel service that would deliver to your house.

I would say you are dealing with either a bad or new sales rep. Possibly new since they have been doing this big enterprise push with WebOS, or new to the WebOS news (hasn't actually asked questions on actual distribution).

Especially with him saying couriers don't deliver on Saturday, I think all that do overnight have some form of Saturday delivery at least in major metropolis cities.
    They do deliver on Saturdays just not July 4th weekend.
    The usual grain of salt: I stopped by BB today as I'm trying to work a deal with a manager since I need to purchase a tablet by next Wednesday. He told me to just buy an iPad, then return it. Because of the dates and the fact that they have a 14 day return, it made a difference to me exactly when BB would get their units. So I went by the store to talk to the manager and it so happened the HP rep was there. He knew about the release date, only because he had gotten an email today about it. Both he and one of the BB employees seemed pretty confident that they would have units in stock on the 1st, that that is the way things usually work. One of the employees was very knowledgable about WebOS...in fact, he intends to get a Touchpad and was aware of finer details about the device....unlike the HP rep, who knew squat. My take is the HP reps know nothing; if he hadn't checked his email, I would have known about the launch date before he did. I just hope they're right about having the stock on hand...but after talking to the manager, he told me if I kept the iPad unopened he'd take it back after the 14 day requirement. But I have a question, as I want to spend enough on iPad accessories so that when I return it, I will have enough to buy the HP accessories....so does anyone know what the prices will be on the case and Keyboard? I know the Touchstone is going to be around $75.....
    Isn't a Friday before a major holiday the type of date spin doctors would choose to minimize public awareness on embarrassing revelations?
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Display devices, maybe. I doubt many stores have many in their stock room. Most stores these days try to have as little back there as possible. I would expect them to start arriving at distribution centers in about a week.
    True, but the point is, the TouchPads are already here in the states. They are either at distributors, store distribution centers, or perhaps in the case of larger stores, already at the stores.

Release date ≠ ship date. Now if you are having it shipped directly to your house, then it might, but the OP seems to be under the impression that all the stores will receive the product on July 1st, which is nonsense.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    They do deliver on Saturdays just not July 4th weekend.
    From all the knowledge I have, this is horribly incorrect information. I worked retail for many year and unless the holiday fell on a normal off day, other delivery dates weren't effected. Most couriers wouldn't close on say a Monday for 4th of July on a Sunday.

UPS is actually doing delivery on 4th of July for "express critical" so I am guessing overnight will be operating on Saturday since the Holiday is observed on Monday.

UPS: Days of Operation

Same deal with FedEx (no mention of anything closed on the 2nd).
    Holiday Schedule - Holiday Hours
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Sheeesh......I swear, I think the OP would complain if we hung him with a brand new rope!

Well, we know he'd complain if that brand new rope didn't arrive via next-say shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Isn't a Friday before a major holiday the type of date spin doctors would choose to minimize public awareness on embarrassing revelations?
    Something going out this big to retailers I would say no. With a Monday holiday all of these retailers are going to be having huge weekend events would be my guess. Maybe if they were doing a smaller launch, but this seams to be a huge launch hitting huge nationwide retailers.
    From all the knowledge I have, this is horribly incorrect information. I worked retail for many year and unless the holiday fell on a normal off day, other delivery dates weren't effected. Most couriers wouldn't close on say a Monday for 4th of July on a Sunday.

UPS is actually doing delivery on 4th of July for "express critical" so I am guessing overnight will be operating on Saturday since the Holiday is observed on Monday.

UPS: Days of Operation

Same deal with FedEx (no mention of anything closed on the 2nd).
    Holiday Schedule - Holiday Hours
    This, UPS and FedEX will be delivering on July 2nd. And retailers will have received their supply already.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Something going out this big to retailers I would say no. With a Monday holiday all of these retailers are going to be having huge weekend events would be my guess. Maybe if they were doing a smaller launch, but this seams to be a huge launch hitting huge nationwide retailers.
    I understand there will be big weekend sales, but why not release it earlier in the week and generate more buzz before the big weekend? why Friday?
    But what about the TIME? I want mine by NOON, July 2 at the latest or HP will have FAILED - and even worse, it will have been yet another LIE!

Sheesh, this forum sometimes. They want a release date, and when they get one, it's not good enough.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast