Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Is this gonna be on the Econ final?! I hated Economics, dropped that class for a 400 level English Grammatical Theory class.

You have to look on the BRIGHT side, ladies and gents: we will all be able to purchase the Touchpad of our choice, July 1st, with only a few dozen devoted followers in line, no need for an overnight camp-out. I was Number 14 in line outsude my Sprint store two years ago to buy my beloved Pre Minus, and I hope to be Number 14 at one of the local retailers to pick up my Touchpad 16gb. Wife has greenlighted the purchase... not that I needed her permission, it's just that now, I won't have to hide it from her for a year or two...
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Glad I asked for a link. That's what happens when someone tries to "interpret" numbers for everyone else.

First, I didn't see anything in there that specified laptops.

Secondly, there's not even anything in there that says 90 (or 91)% of the computers. It said revenue market share.

Here's a quick, simple example.

10 PC's sold at $1,000 each
    1 Apple Mac sold at $90,000

PC's held 91% of the market of computers.
    Apples held 90% of the "10 dollars spent on computers costing $1,000 " (direct quote from the article).

In other words, "Mac revenue market share in the "premium" price segment" was 90% (in my example).

Simplified version, but done so to make it clear what the terms "dollars spent" and "revenue market share" mean.

Finally, that was for sales for the month of June, 2009, not overall market revenue.
    sorry was hurry, this is the correct link Nine out of 10 premium-priced PCs sold at US retail is a Mac
    Just so people don't bring up the article's age...

Mac Gains Momentum in the Enterprise PC Market Note of the Day

Macs are gaining ground against PCs in both home computing and enterprise sales, and Apple will likely continue to gain ground against HP (who is struggling in PC sales relative to the competition) and other PC manufacturers.

People want devices that just work and that don't break down, and they're now willing to pay a premium for the quality user experience. That's why (getting back on topic) HP can charge a premium for the storage.

Unless the HP TouchPad has an accessory to allow video out, it's going to be DOA next to the iPad2. The reason is simple. Lackluster hardware... again.
    Global Posts
    798 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    sorry was hurry, this is the correct link Nine out of 10 premium-priced PCs sold at US retail is a Mac
    Thats a spin. Hardware price is going down and in general PCs are cheaper than Macs so Macs have created their own segment which they call "premium" (whatever that means). Of course they are the best selling "premium" PC manufacturer when they created that market and they are in it by themselves.

See they can also create "professional" market where they can say it consists of all sales of $2000+ towers and they would be number one cause their Mac Pro starts at twenty five hundred. In reality you can match Mac Pro performance for half of that money with PC so those desktops would not even count as competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Thats a spin. Hardware price is going down and in general PCs are cheaper than Macs so Macs have created their own segment which they call "premium" (whatever that means). Of course they are the best selling "premium" PC manufacturer when they created that market and they are in it by themselves.

See they can also create "professional" market where they can say it consists of all sales of $2000+ towers and they would be number one cause their Mac Pro starts at twenty five hundred. In reality you can match Mac Pro performance for half of that money with PC so those desktops would not even count as competition.
    thats my point, Apple's product is always overpriced, it only sells on its brand.

thats why, for HP to priced touchpad at the same price as apple is dumb. Apple fans buy overpriced ipad because it has an apple logo on it. No such fan exist for HP.

Obviously its too late since HP already made the dumb price official. Lets just see if good ads and marketing can save this thing somewhat.
    Seriously dude, this is going nowhere.

First, the date -> "Published February 1, 2010, 1:30 PM
    "
    Second, it was for a single quarter.
    Third, the guy at "betanews" made the same mistake you made - he used market revenue and changed it to "9 out of 10 PCs".

Your information is wrong. Glad HP's not checking in with you.
    thats my point, Apple's product is always overpriced, it only sells on its brand.

thats why, for HP to priced touchpad at the same price as apple is dumb. Apple fans buy overpriced ipad because it has an apple logo on it. No such fan exist for HP.

Obviously its too late since HP already made the dumb price official. Lets just see if good ads and marketing can save this thing somewhat.
    And this thread has absolutely nothing to do with HP's pricepoint for their tablets. It's about the difference in price for the extra 16gb.

I don't believe the mad heard of Apple fanatics are saying "Sure I'll pay $100 more Apple's extra memory, after all, it's Apple memory."

Name brand has nothing to do with this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Seriously dude, this is going nowhere.

First, the date -> "Published February 1, 2010, 1:30 PM
    "
    Second, it was for a single quarter.
    Third, the guy at "betanews" made the same mistake you made - he used market revenue and changed it to "9 out of 10 PCs".

Your information is wrong. Glad HP's not checking in with you.
    Please see my post immediately below Clevin's from this year which is from this year. Macs are gaining ground in both enterprise and PC markets... and quickly at that. Ignoring the reality doesn't make it go away.

People are willing to pay a premium for the Apple name and user experience. They are not willing to do so for HP.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Please see my post immediately below Clevin's from this year which is from this year. Macs are gaining ground in both enterprise and PC markets... and quickly at that. Ignoring the reality doesn't make it go away.

People are willing to pay a premium for the Apple name and user experience. They are not willing to do so for HP.
    There is no "HP user interface", it's all about what OS comes on the machine. People are also going by outdated information when it comes to which is better. Some could say that since MacOS X has been out since 2001, it is leading people who are already resistant to change into being unable to change. Look at how much difficulty people had switching from Windows XP, because they couldn't handle any change to the UI at the desktop level.

Now, back to the topic at hand, how much of a price premium is there on memory? If you look at the price difference between a 2GB stick of memory and a 4GB stick of memory, even in a regular PC, you will see that the price is quite a bit more for the 4GB stick of memory. Since we are not talking about hard drive space, but about chips here, the cost of going from a 1GB to 2GB to 4GB stick of memory over the years has shown that a 4GB single stick of memory is generally more than the price of two 2GB sticks of memory. Much of this has to do with the demand for higher capacity chips, and the sales volumes. Note that these days, there is a very low demand for more than 4GB of system memory, so there has not been the push to go beyond the 4GB mark, and we don't see single sticks of 8GB each being sold in the consumer space at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

So it's your contention that iPad users are willing to pay the extra $100 for a 16 extra GB on an iPad, but HP buyers aren't?

Seriously?
    This same question with the same arguments for/against the 100 increase has been brought up a few times in the past on a popular Apple forum.

Most of the arguments made here were made there. I don't know if forum rules allow me to post a link to another forum but it's pretty funny.
    (Search: Does 16gb of flash memory cost $100? )

At the end of the day, whether the 100 bucks extra for the 32gig model is a deterrent or makes no difference will be evidenced by the number of sales.

Where it is really going to get hairy is when the Touchpad 3G comes comes out, will it be priced 130 more like the equivalent Apple counterpart?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

At the end of the day, whether the 100 bucks extra for the 32gig model is a deterrent or makes no difference will be evidenced by the number of sales.
    true, if they offers both models in the retail stores. By many accounts, HP will not offer 16GB at retail stores at all (at least initially).

deliberately not offering microSD slot to force sales of 32Gb is also an issue.

I know all the arguments have been made at apple forum as well. But HP should remember it is not apple and it is not selling an product with an apple logo on it.
    true, if they offers both models in the retail stores. By many accounts, HP will not offer 16GB at retail stores at all (at least initially).

deliberately not offering microSD slot to force sales of 32Gb is also an issue.

I know all the arguments have been made at apple forum as well. But HP should remember it is not apple and it is not selling an product with an apple logo on it.
    What is this about the microSD? One model has it and one does not?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    What is this about the microSD? One model has it and one does not?
    none of them have.

but if 16GB model has it, it would make 32Gb so much less attractive.
    If they sold a 16GB model with SD who in their right mind would pay for the 32GB pad. It's just a way to make more money - true with apple and true for HP.

Fact is that like IOS - HP has a unique operating system so if you want it you will pay. If price is important to you then go buy android. It's not like anyone has to buy a chanel bag when there are thousands of alternatives for much less - Still there's a line outside the store waiting to get in.

As for the original premise that started this thread - there is much more cost to selling a product than the cost of the parts - all that packaging, shipping, inventory and MARKETING and support costs money too. Someone also has to pay for all the programming involved and for the upgrades etc.

If we are honest with ourselves lets admit that this item really is a luxury item that most of us don't actually need. If it were required I"m sure the business would pay and price wouldn't be an issue anyway. So if you want the toy, pay for the toy. If you can find a better price somewhere even better - go get it then rush back here to tell the rest of us about it.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567