Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    I would agree with you, I've already made the decision to purchase the 32 over the 16. To me, 16 more GB's is worth it, hell an episode of Game of Thrones is nearly a gig. I'd like a tablet that can hold more than 10hrs of HD media. Photos are also getting quite big these days as well. 20MB email attachments are not uncommon, especially ones full of family photos. Ultimately I'd prefer 64GB but I'll manage with 32. I'm sure future iterations of the TouchPad will come with more space, but for now it will suffice.
    I would prefer a 16 with a micro, or even normal, SD slot. Sadly, beggars can't be choosers.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    this fantasy thinking you are presenting, that somehow HP is right there on par with apple in tablet business, is crazy. In every statement, you insist on putting HP right next to apple, as if HP has the brand name of apple, has the cult following of apple, has the ecosystem of iOS.

Its simply insane.

I already put out my prediction of touchpad sales and bet 50 bucks on it. Im not gonna argue more with the fantasy ideas of yours, if you dare, just put out a prediction and lets see in three month, if HP really is "on par" with apple.
    Why is everyone else's opinion, if it differs from yours, "crazy", "insane", "idiocy", etc? You've offered not creds other than "I said so". Give it a rest.

State your opinion, let us "crazy, insane, idiotic" people keep ours without the silly name-calling. I realize that being in the business for decades and/or running multi-billion dollar businesses pale in comparison to posting on a forum and having an avatar, but lighten up dude, it's getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    There's a lot, lot, lot, lot of twisting going on in here. It starts with hparsons.

Am I complaining about the price? NO.
    Did I defend the price structure? YES.
    Do I believe HP is making the correct choice for price structure? YES.

Is HP on par with Apple in terms of brand prestige and ability to command a premium price for their products? Absofrickingloutely NOT. If everything is the same between an iPad2 and a TouchPad, Apple will win the sale at least 80% of the time, and you know what? They DESERVE to win the sale 100% of the time if everything is equal.

The TouchPad needs to be BETTER than the iPad2 to win customers at the same price point. I believe the TouchPad, with some sort of video out option, may very well be better than the iPad2.
    Did I twist something and say you were complaining about price? No.
    Did I say you had a problem with the price structure? No
    Did I say anything about your opinion of the price structure? No.
    Did I say that HP was "on par" with Apple in terms of brand prestige and ability to command a premium price? No.

Did I state that your absolute assertion that "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" was wrong? Yes, I did. Absolutely wrong. I didn't twist what you said, either on that or the other topics you've somehow attributed to me.

Your statement was wrong. Further, it really had nothing to do with the topic at hand, the extra $100 for the extra 16gb. Even your asserstion that about HP needing to be better has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The topic isn't about whether or not the $500 price point is a good one, the topic is, why does HP charge $100 more for only 16gb more of memory.

I'll state again, most people willing to spend $500 for the 16gb version will be willing to pay $100 more for the 36gb version. Name brand has nothing to do with that additional $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This thread has outlived its usefulness. Assuming it had some.
    Indeed, it simply turned into yet another "Apple is better, no it's not" blabber. Sad.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Indeed, it simply turned into yet another "Apple is better, no it's not" blabber. Sad.
    Sad indeed. Thing is I've noticed, in all these discussions that blow up in the wind, it's the Apple supporters that blow everything to ****. What I don't notice, is the HP supporters saying Apple is not better. In fact, Apple is used as a standard/trend setter/rating comparison. But when good, logical argument is presented, the Apple supporters start making some really puerile statements!
    NNJ
    Let's stay on topic and keep the personal comments out of it, guys. Thanks.
    The iPhone/iPad world has seen some wifi devices created that permit mounting an SD card for external storage for the device. Due to limitations in the iPhone OS (locked down) there are painfully clumsy integration methods but this approach does let you buy a lower size unit and leverage the cheap SD storage out there.

Hopefully similar solutions will be developed for webOS but with less clumsy interfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Seeing how this thread has erupted into Chaos. I went straight to the source for the answer:

End of Story! This thread can now be closed.
    Shoulda used Mr. T....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Shoulda used Mr. T....
    How's That For Ya?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    LOL!
    NNJ
    LOL! That's my new desktop wallpaper.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL! That's my new desktop wallpaper.
    The new wallpaper for that 32GB tablet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The new wallpaper for that 32GB tablet!
    LOL for right now just my work comp, but yeah hopefully I can scrape up the cash this summer for the TP.
    My impressions are that Apple lured others into tablet market with great Ipad/Ipad2 sales. Whole tablet market now seems chaotic with much bigger offer than demand. That is why I think HP makes mistake replicating Apple's pricing blueprint. Simply, we have to accept that rules that apply to Apple are not applicable to others yet. Moreover, HP hasn't followed Apples footsteps - establish highly valued smartphone platform first, than raise bar with tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Simply, we have to accept that rules that apply to Apple are not applicable to others yet. Moreover, HP hasn't followed Apples footsteps - establish highly valued smartphone platform first, than raise bar with tablet.
    exactly. HP has water in its brain now. I don't remember there is any point in time apple's pricing policy works on other companies. e.g., Apple holds 90% market in US when you look at $1000+ laptops.

Apple has a big fanbase, many of them will buy whatever has an apple logo attached to it, they will buy every new generation of it, and they will buy the whole ecosystem apple put out. HP doesn't have that. Touchpad doesn't even have high enough hardware components to stand out in the tablet market. This is a new market for HP and webOS, the arrogance in pricing and hardware offering is plain bad.

While I have been trying to voice these concerns, its obviously too late with HP's official press release yesterday.

I will wish HP good luck, and the only way of making the best out of this series of bad decisions, is to make heavy and effective marketing. We shall see if Touchpad will have decent enough sales (at least 1million in 6 months) so HP can actually continue to make opal and TP2.
    Same here. Good luck and market damn thing.
    exactly. HP has water in its brain now. I don't remember there is any point in time apple's pricing policy works on other companies. e.g., Apple holds 90% market in US when you look at $1000+ laptops.

Apple has a big fanbase, many of them will buy whatever has an apple logo attached to it, they will buy every new generation of it, and they will buy the whole ecosystem apple put out. HP doesn't have that. Touchpad doesn't even have high enough hardware components to stand out in the tablet market. This is a new market for HP and webOS, the arrogance in pricing and hardware offering is plain bad.

While I have been trying to voice these concerns, its obviously too late with HP's official press release yesterday.

I will wish HP good luck, and the only way of making the best out of this series of bad decisions, is to make heavy and effective marketing. We shall see if Touchpad will have decent enough sales (at least 1million in 6 months) so HP can actually continue to make opal and TP2.
    I don't believe Apple holds 90% of the $1000 laptop market in the US (show me a reliable link, and I might be convinced). They do hold a good chunk of it, but that's a misleading statistic. Apple only makes one < $1000 laptop (and it's right at $1000), and few companies make laptops that are over $1000.
    Many corporate laptops are close to the $1K mark or more. Most are not Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Many corporate laptops are close to the $1K mark or more. Most are not Apple.
    Its the shipping number, not install base,

Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD
    Its the shipping number, not install base,

Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD
    Glad I asked for a link. That's what happens when someone tries to "interpret" numbers for everyone else.

First, I didn't see anything in there that specified laptops.

Secondly, there's not even anything in there that says 90 (or 91)% of the computers. It said revenue market share.

Here's a quick, simple example.

10 PC's sold at $1,000 each
    1 Apple Mac sold at $90,000

PC's held 91% of the market of computers.
    Apples held 90% of the "10 dollars spent on computers costing $1,000 " (direct quote from the article).

In other words, "Mac revenue market share in the "premium" price segment" was 90% (in my example).

Simplified version, but done so to make it clear what the terms "dollars spent" and "revenue market share" mean.

Finally, that was for sales for the month of June, 2009, not overall market revenue.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/11/2011 at 04:53 PM.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast