Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    ALOT. Just look at iphone sales. Heck, mac sales are very only getting higher. (NPD: New MacBook Pros pushed U.S. Mac sales up 47% y/y in March - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech) So yeah the companys consumer base is still growing haha.
    Wasn't really thinking about Macs in-particular but that is relivent stat. We'll see how that goes over the next few years. My fiancÚe bought a MacBook and she's already regretting it with the software compatibility issues she's been having. I even told her, "Maybe you should just install Windows on it since they have that option," she wasn't happy about that suggestion... >.>
    113% iphone increase >: o March Quarter iPhone Sales Up 113% Year-Over-Year; iPod Sales Fall 17%; 4.69 Million iPads Sold - Brian Caulfield - Shiny Objects - Forbes

I believe the $100 memory thing is dumb but it doesn't matter what company you are people think that's just how much memory costs.

Still think HP should have there tablets $100 cheaper.
    32 gig touchpad next to a 16gb ipad doesn't make it look cheap then just a better value.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    The same reason why Monster can charge up to 100 dollars on a special HDMI cable, with plastic around it to make it look cool, while you can get the same EXACT HDMI cable from Mono-price for about 5 dollars...
    Of course, Monster Cable is the same company that is trying to sell you "Beats Audio" as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Try Google, instead of relying on your own personal opinion.

No, HP's name brand won't sell the TP the way Apple's sold the iP; however, it will sell them in their own way. HP's name brand is well recognized, and the name will sell the device.

However, back to my point - that was not the statement that was made. The statement that was made was pretty simple.

"HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" You can make all the claims you want about what HP will or won't do - they're pretty easy to make from the end of a keyboard - but that statement was factually wrong.
    HP is a HIGHLY RECOGNIZED brand name. It's not prestigious at all. The following competitors are easily more prestigious and respected in the mobile technology market: Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, HTC, Samsung, and Motorola.

HP's servers are certainly respected, and they can leverage that to a certain extent (in equal negative is PalmOS webOS, and Palm's recent history), but servers and mobile phones are utterly different environments. Ever heard of a little company called Intel? They're a small player in the PC/Server market, and Intel even carries some prestige with it's PC and server CPUs as it can sell them at a premium on name. In smartphone/tablet technology right now, they're a joke. There's no way Intel could sell at a premium compared to Qualcomm or TI for an equal performing SoC.

It's like saying everybody would line up to buy a Peterbilt electric car...
    Higher growth in phone sales, drop in iPod sales, and tapered iPad sales.

I believe the $100 memory thing is dumb but it doesn't matter what company you are people think that's just how much memory costs.

Still think HP should have there tablets $100 cheaper.
    32 gig touchpad next to a 16gb ipad doesn't make it look cheap then just a better value.
    I think HP probably knows what they're doing. If they don't see the initial sales they want, they have plenty of options to make that retail price point work for them.
    To the OP: This isn't a ripoff, nor abnormal. Cost of inputs does not determine price of a good. All it affects directly is the production decision. Market prices are determined by supply and demand. This is a tough market to gauge, and lots of people in here will speculate, but at the end of the day, it's really hard to price a good like this one. If it doesn't sell well, the price may be dropped, it may not. They may be doing a fairly limited production run, which will be ramped up should need be, or left low should they decide to leave the price where it is, but quantity demanded is lower than they expect.

And yeah, it's definitely a form of "price discrimination." It isn't pure price discrimination, but it's pretty close, and a common business practice. Wouldn't want any consumer surplus, would we?

Either way, there is about 0 chance this product is going to launch at its equilibrium price, but while a lot of people at P|C are convinced that the price will drop sometime after launch, it might not, even if it the price is too high.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HP is a HIGHLY RECOGNIZED brand name. It's not prestigious at all. The following competitors are easily more prestigious and respected in the mobile technology market: Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, HTC, Samsung, and Motorola.

HP's servers are certainly respected, and they can leverage that to a certain extent (in equal negative is PalmOS webOS, and Palm's recent history), but servers and mobile phones are utterly different environments. Ever heard of a little company called Intel? They're a small player in the PC/Server market, and Intel even carries some prestige with it's PC and server CPUs as it can sell them at a premium on name. In smartphone/tablet technology right now, they're a joke. There's no way Intel could sell at a premium compared to Qualcomm or TI for an equal performing SoC.

It would seem that the naysayers on this forum are all wanting to fall back on "Apple's got the name brand" mattress.

Folks, look at the title of the thread.

No one is going to convince me that HP doesn't have enough name brand recognition that they won't be able to sell higher memory on a device
    at a high profit margin.

They do it now.

Go price their laptops and compare memory prices.

I'm not going to even approach the notion that HP is a higher respected name brand, it's not. But if anyone here is making the argument that HP cannot sell this device based on their name brand then that person doesn't understand the IT industry.

If we assume they can, then the question remains (which was the original question) How can they charge $100 more for 32gb over 16gb.

My answer remains the same, and it has nothing to do with name recognition (which was a claim made for Apple's reason).

Because the market will bear it. Most people that would be willing to pay $500 for 16gb TouchPad would be willing to pay the extra $100 for the 32gb version.

It's really that simple.

If some of you want to argue whether or not I'm right, watch which sells more when they're released, the 16gb version or the 32gb version.
    They've padded the price so the stores can discount it. With it launching at so many retailers, there are bound to be July 4th sales or back to school August sales blah blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Right. Without someone telling you these specs, will your eyes be able to see a difference? Just asking.
    If they use a TN panel instead of an IPS panel? Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It would seem that the naysayers on this forum are all wanting to fall back on "Apple's got the name brand" mattress.

Folks, look at the title of the thread.

No one is going to convince me that HP doesn't have enough name brand recognition that they won't be able to sell higher memory on a device
    at a high profit margin.

They do it now.

Go price their laptops and compare memory prices.

I'm not going to even approach the notion that HP is a higher respected name brand, it's not. But if anyone here is making the argument that HP cannot sell this device based on their name brand then that person doesn't understand the IT industry.

If we assume they can, then the question remains (which was the original question) How can they charge $100 more for 32gb over 16gb.

My answer remains the same, and it has nothing to do with name recognition (which was a claim made for Apple's reason).

Because the market will bear it. Most people that would be willing to pay $500 for 16gb TouchPad would be willing to pay the extra $100 for the 32gb version.

It's really that simple.

If some of you want to argue whether or not I'm right, watch which sells more when they're released, the 16gb version or the 32gb version.
    This^^^^^^^.

If you want to complain about pricing, then take it to the ipad forums. Apple is the one setting the prices because they are the market leader. That's the story here. The same reasons people give for why the Touchpad will have problems selling at the same price as the iPad are the same reasons why it would still have problems selling for $100 less. When somebody asks a Best Buy employee what they think is best, they will probably steer them to an iPad for all its apps and the fact that it is proven. Even if the TP was $399/$499, they'd be saying its worth the extra money for all that Apple has to offer. The only difference is HP will make less money back for their shareholders on their $1.2 billion dollar investment. So yeah HP should price it like the iPad because that's what Apple can charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

Just to be fair - beside Apple, no one else on your list does not carry prestige attached to their name, but they are doing just fine. Also, Intel's absence from smartphone/tablet market is not related to prestige. If/when Intel finally make equal performing SoC to existing ARM variants, they will be fierce competition to TI, Samsug, Nvidia and Qualcomm. Reason for not being present in smatphone arena is due bad Manitoba SoC and not prestige.
    If HP manage to elevate WebOS to standards set by Apple and Google, they would certanly find some place in market for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Just to be fair - beside Apple, no one else on your list does not carry prestige attached to their name, but they are doing just fine. Also, Intel's absence from smartphone/tablet market is not related to prestige. If/when Intel finally make equal performing SoC to existing ARM variants, they will be fierce competition to TI, Samsug, Nvidia and Qualcomm. Reason for not being present in smatphone arena is due bad Manitoba SoC and not prestige.
    If HP manage to elevate WebOS to standards set by Apple and Google, they would certanly find some place in market for WebOS.
    Plus, they seem stubbornly unwilling to venture away from x86.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    It's pretty simple if you think from a consumer (and not tech or business) perspective; 32GB is 100% more than 16GB which for many, is justifiable by $100.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    You cannot take the total costs of components and say that is the cost of the product. Anyone who believes that is an ***** and shouldn't be listened to. Usually, the largest cost of a consumer product isn't a component but the cost of labour to get the product into stores. If you like webOS and think it offers you a better experience then you shouldn't have a problem with the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I've always been curious how much of Apple's brand is selling to the same people. They quote sales numbers since the line release rather than for each generation and I'm always curious just how many unique users they add each year.
    indeed, its a cult, many of them buying every new generation of ixxxx, its insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    This^^^^^^^.

If you want to complain about pricing, then take it to the ipad forums. Apple is the one setting the prices because they are the market leader. That's the story here. The same reasons people give for why the Touchpad will have problems selling at the same price as the iPad are the same reasons why it would still have problems selling for $100 less.
    apple doesn't sell touchpad, blaming outside factor is weak.

and you are sitting here telling me $100 price difference doesn't count, lets get real, this is a real world with real recession and real shrinking wallet.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you are basically saying HP and Apple are competing in a different market than android tablets?

and you are saying HP should follow the market leader even without the same cult following?

Lets be realistic here.

obviously he was talking about consumer brand. Respect from other business man don't factor in here.
    That wasn't what I said at all, but then, you know this.
    HP and Apple, as single manufacturers, do not need to follow the marketing strategy that ALL the Android manufacturers are forced to follow. That's what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Sure, show me a link showing HP is a highly respected brand among consumers.
    Here you go: IDC - Global PC market.

You don't gain the largest sales of every other manufacturer without being highly respected.

EDIT - And just in case you're wondering what kind of strategy HP can leverage using the above sales figures, PreCentral's front page has an excellent article.
    Last edited by nyallj; 06/09/2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added data
    NNJ
    well... they didnt go above apple pricing which is good... they must think they are every bit as good as the apple variant so they roll the dice and see if people will buy. but the first android tablets thought that and some had to make the adjustment.

who knows... maybe it will be a smash if they can display it correctly for people to be wowed from webos. I wish for webos to be a overnight success and developers ramp up real quick and make it a 3 horse race.

really, the major problem i see is the one big question that everyone will ask...

"Does it have all the same apps that Apple have?"

for that reason i think they should be more competitive with their pricing. hp should understand their weakness there costs them and they should cut their price accordingly to make it an attractive buy and people will give time to wait for all the apps. at same price but only a trickle of apps? dealbreaker.

that answer will be a big problem. Android has an advantage over webos in that they can say that they're close and most people shouldnt miss much.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    That wasn't what I said at all, but then, you know this.
    HP and Apple, as single manufacturers, do not need to follow the marketing strategy that ALL the Android manufacturers are forced to follow. That's what I said.

Here you go: IDC - Global PC market.

You don't gain the largest sales of every other manufacturer without being highly respected.

EDIT - And just in case you're wondering what kind of strategy HP can leverage using the above sales figures, PreCentral's front page has an excellent article.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Well, with dedicated display tables and dedicated staff they can "educate" in store
    The celebrity angle piques interest. (affinity anyone?)
    the ad/marketing campaign has to be smart and shall we say "shock & awe"......
    nutcases like most of us evangelize.
    Enterprise market is wide open.
    HP has only one chance to make a "first" impression......... so put up, or shut up/****, or get off the pot time for HP (lets just forget about palm since hardly anyone knows about that debacle expect us....... "we'll make it up to you"...
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Android has an advantage over webos in that they can say that they're close and most people shouldnt miss much.
    lol. I really hope they use that argument as a marketing strategy.
    NNJ
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast