Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 135
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    No, the iPad 1 wasn't that snappy with it's 256MB of RAM. If you tried it wasn't hard to show that it should have had more RAM.
    I've used one and I don't mean to imply it was the fastest thing on Earth - but it wasn't sluggish and laggy like a Pre - for example.

    It's clear that the Apple iOS does not need the same resources as webOS to provide a reasonable end user experience. This is due in part to the way that the OS limits apps multitasking and also a function of being c centric vs. Javascript centric.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Just because it has more ram and a faster processor doesn't mean it's better/exceeds. Because so much of WebOS is javascript, it runs slower than iOS and needs more RAM as well. So that extra processing/RAM actually turns out to be less in the real world usage.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, brand is not a spec. HP is a highly respected brand name.
    HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand name. Apple is. Arguing that Apple doesn't enjoy some advantage over HP in brand name isn't realistic. Apple fans (there are a LOT of them) will buy the iPad2 at the same price over the TouchPad even if the TouchPad is moderately superior in specifications and capabilities.
  4. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm still waiting for confirmation or for someone to ask someone at HP what the detailed specs of the screen are.
    Right. Without someone telling you these specs, will your eyes be able to see a difference? Just asking.
    NNJ
  5. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Just because it has more ram and a faster processor doesn't mean it's better/exceeds. Because so much of WebOS is javascript, it runs slower than iOS and needs more RAM as well. So that extra processing/RAM actually turns out to be less in the real world usage.
    But that's not the point. Your argument only works if WebOS somehow requires 4x as much memory as the original ipad or that it requires a CPU that is 250% faster than the original ipad.
  6. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #46  
    Everybody is comparing how cheap the various Android devices are in comparison. But comparing each of them to the other, there has to be a reason for the variance, right?
    The problem with the perception is, and I will say this again: there are LOTS of Android device manufacturers. The only way they can differentiate themselves from each OTHER, is in a spec war. Because iOS and webOS will offer a different UI and UX, they need not compete in this spec war.
    I believe the same will apply to pricing. Apple has already proved this out. Now it is HP's turn.
    NNJ
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Right. Without someone telling you these specs, will your eyes be able to see a difference? Just asking.
    No. I am just sick of people saying the screen isnt as good as ipads.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand name. Apple is. Arguing that Apple doesn't enjoy some advantage over HP in brand name isn't realistic. Apple fans (there are a LOT of them) will buy the iPad2 at the same price over the TouchPad even if the TouchPad is moderately superior in specifications and capabilities.
    On what are you basing "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" (besides your own personal opinion)? I've been in the industry for a while, and HP has always been on the top 10 of recognized and respected IT companies.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On what are you basing "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" (besides your own personal opinion)? I've been in the industry for a while, and HP has always been on the top 10 of recognized and respected IT companies.
    It's right there with DELL:P

    To the consumer Apple products are more stylish, easier to use, and more expensive. Apple is seen as higher quality brand.

    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/...desired-brand/

    2002: http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2002/12/56677
    Now: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5807b944-7...44feabdc0.html

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Everybody is comparing how cheap the various Android devices are in comparison. But comparing each of them to the other, there has to be a reason for the variance, right?
    The problem with the perception is, and I will say this again: there are LOTS of Android device manufacturers. The only way they can differentiate themselves from each OTHER, is in a spec war. Because iOS and webOS will offer a different UI and UX, they need not compete in this spec war.
    I believe the same will apply to pricing. Apple has already proved this out. Now it is HP's turn.
    you are basically saying HP and Apple are competing in a different market than android tablets?

    and you are saying HP should follow the market leader even without the same cult following?

    Lets be realistic here.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On what are you basing "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" (besides your own personal opinion)? I've been in the industry for a while, and HP has always been on the top 10 of recognized and respected IT companies.
    obviously he was talking about consumer brand. Respect from other business man don't factor in here.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/09/2011 at 03:47 PM.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's right there with DELL:P

    To the consumer Apple products are more stylish, easier to use, and more expensive. Apple is seen as higher quality brand.
    Sorry, Maybe I didn't make my statement clear. I'm not talking about whether or not HP (or Dell) is seen as a "less than Apple brand". That wasn't the claim made.

    The claim made was that "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand"

    There can be more than one (except an rabid fandom-land, of course).
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    ...
    obviously he was talking about consumer brand. Respect from other business man don't factor in here.
    Huh??? Why would respect from other businesses not "factor in"? Do you not think that HP is looking to sell these to other businesses?

    Yes, HP is marketing to businesses (and consumers).

    Yes, HP is a highly respected brand, among both groups.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Huh??? Why would respect from other businesses not "factor in"? Do you not think that HP is looking to sell these to other businesses?

    Yes, HP is marketing to businesses (and consumers).

    Yes, HP is a highly respected brand, among both groups.
    Sure, show me a link showing HP is a highly respected brand among consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, Maybe I didn't make my statement clear. I'm not talking about whether or not HP (or Dell) is seen as a "less than Apple brand". That wasn't the claim made.

    The claim made was that "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand"

    There can be more than one (except an rabid fandom-land, of course).
    Sure you can pick bones from an egg. We all know the main point is HP's brand won't sell the touchpads as Apple's brand is selling iPad. Being realistic is good for HP once in a while.
  14. #54  
    Only if I can actually read that thing, you surely can provide a one thats readable?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Sure, show me a link showing HP is a highly respected brand among consumers.
    Try Google, instead of relying on your own personal opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Sure you can pick bones from an egg. We all know the main point is HP's brand won't sell the touchpads as Apple's brand is selling iPad. Being realistic is good for HP once in a while.
    No, HP's name brand won't sell the TP the way Apple's sold the iP; however, it will sell them in their own way. HP's name brand is well recognized, and the name will sell the device.

    However, back to my point - that was not the statement that was made. The statement that was made was pretty simple.

    "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand" You can make all the claims you want about what HP will or won't do - they're pretty easy to make from the end of a keyboard - but that statement was factually wrong.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Sure, show me a link showing HP is a highly respected brand among consumers.

    Sure you can pick bones from an egg. We all know the main point is HP's brand won't sell the touchpads as Apple's brand is selling iPad. Being realistic is good for HP once in a while.
    I've always been curious how much of Apple's brand is selling to the same people. They quote sales numbers since the line release rather than for each generation and I'm always curious just how many unique users they add each year.
  17. #57  
    ALOT. Just look at iphone sales. Heck, mac sales are very only getting higher. (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/...p-47-in-march/) So yeah the companys consumer base is still growing haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, Maybe I didn't make my statement clear. I'm not talking about whether or not HP (or Dell) is seen as a "less than Apple brand". That wasn't the claim made.

    The claim made was that "HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand"

    There can be more than one (except an rabid fandom-land, of course).
    He was obviously talking about consumers view on HP to apple.
    Come on hparsons HP is fine but not near as prestigious or respected compared to apple. Did you really not understand what he was saying?

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    He was obviously talking about consumers view on HP to apple.
    Come on hparsons HP is fine but not near as prestigious or respected compared to apple. Did you really not understand what he was saying?
    Seriously hparsons, HP doesn't come close to be a religion like Apple!
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    ...
    He was obviously talking about consumers view on HP to apple.
    Come on hparsons HP is fine but not near as prestigious or respected compared to apple. Did you really not understand what he was saying?
    No, I really don't.

    In the context of this discussion, I cannot understand how being the "better brand" means that one company can use that to justify charging $100 more for twice the memory, and the other company cannot.

    If that was the point, then I'm more at a loss than I was at the patently false statement that HP is not a highly respected or prestigious brand.
  20. #60  
    The same reason why Monster can charge up to 100 dollars on a special HDMI cable, with plastic around it to make it look cool, while you can get the same EXACT HDMI cable from Mono-price for about 5 dollars...
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions