Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Bluetooth sucks. Look at 8:54 of the video. It takes him many, many tries and over a minute to pair the keyboard via bluetooth. Not a fault of the TouchPad, but of bluetooth. This is why the pairing of the Pre 3 to the TouchPad shouldn't be bluetooth but Wifi Direct ( Wi-Fi Direct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

  2. #2  
    You might want to follow your post up with another wireless device standard that's widely used that you feel they should have supported instead.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You might want to follow your post up with another wireless device standard that's widely used that you feel they should have supported instead.
    You're wrong. All you need is a wifi radio to do wifi direct. Both the phone and the TouchPad have wifi radios, so they could have used wifi to communicate.

    Now, if you're talking about between a keyboard or headset, then yes, there are no devices yet that use it, but I was talking about the communication between the Pre 3 and the TouchPad.
  4. #4  
    No, that wasn't because of bluetooth. If you didn't notice, the first few times he tried, the working circle didn't popup on the right side. Meaning, that it wasn't trying to pair up. The reason why this happened was because he was trying to work the TouchPad upside down, making it difficult to make right side up gestures. You can also notice that, after it went to sleep, he took a better look at it then tapped it again and the working circle popped up and within seconds it was paired. No, bluetooth wasn't the culprit here, it was user error.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Bluetooth sucks. Look at 8:54 of the video. It takes him many, many tries and over a minute to pair the keyboard via bluetooth. Not a fault of the TouchPad, but of bluetooth. This is why the pairing of the Pre 3 to the TouchPad shouldn't be bluetooth but Wifi Direct ( Wi-Fi Direct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

    Thx for that article about Wifi Direct. Wifi Direct is newer and looks much more promising than Bluetooth (speaking of which, does anyone know if it's Bluetooth 4 that's being used? or still the older Bluetooth 3?).

    With regards to the video though, it looks like his multiple taps initially did not register because he was using it upside down and only touching the screen with his fingernail. I've seen instances like that happen with my parents when they think they've clicked successfully. My mom does that all the time on her iPod Touch. I keep having to tell her to touch it, not just click it with her fingernail.
  6. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #6  
    from what i saw the OP is being too picky. it seems like the product manager was just having trouble pushing the screen upside down to me
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  7. #7  
    I think he was just having issues because he's trying to control it upside down and may have tapped something wrong. Bluetooth works.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    from what i saw the OP is being too picky. it seems like the product manager was just having trouble pushing the screen upside down to me
    perhaps, but i wouldn't be so quick to pass judgment. bluetooth is fine, but if there is a better technology out there, then we should be considering it, not bashing it.

    i can recall plenty of instances where bluetooth pairing is just horrible on many devices, not just webOS devices. when better technology gets implemented, we win.
  9. #9  
    Bluetooth pairing is least of worries. Once you pair devices you are done. No big thing.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Thx for that article about Wifi Direct. Wifi Direct is newer and looks much more promising than Bluetooth (speaking of which, does anyone know if it's Bluetooth 4 that's being used? or still the older Bluetooth 3?).
    It's Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. There are relatively few BT3 devices, and BT4's supplemental standards have not been finished yet.

    BTW, BT3 has the option (not a mandatory implementation) of utilizing WiFi for high-speed transfers at 24Mbps.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Posting Permissions