Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Excerpt and link to full article from computing.co.uk see bottom of post:

Highlights:

-HP catalog allows users (i think he means app creators) to store data from forms in the clouds--ie marketers can collect data about users

-Battery life:designed to last a day

-Data can be transferred from TouchPad to Palm phones but not other operating systems (does he mean TTS? What about transferring phone calls?)"

-HP reps at conference still say will be released in June

-Uh-oh, device is slow, quote below (there is another user in the forums that reports the same thing, see link at bottom of this post)
    "We found the TouchPad's touchscreen less responsive than that of Apple's iPad, and apps took some time to load..."

"HP gave Computing a sneak preview of its new tablet device, the TouchPad, at its HP Discover event in Las Vegas.

The device runs on HP's Web OS mobile operating system and is powered by Intel's Snapdragon CPU.

"The TouchPad has been specifically built for enterprises," CEO Leo Apotheker told delegates at the conference, and there seems to be evidence of that.

Judging by the apps showcased at the event, HP's developer community is dedicated to building apps for business.

One such app, the HP App Catalog, enables users to create forms and store them in the cloud, meaning users who might include restaurant inspectors or marketeers can easily collect and store data..."

HP Discover: Sneak look at HP's TouchPad - 08 Jun 2011 - Computing News

Post below from Precentral poster who also found the TouchPad slow:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2985075
    Intel snapdragon?
    Lol... The iPad 3 has an AMD Pentium Celeron with 5 cores, so what's your point?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Maybe with the Qualcomm version, there will be less lag.

Just sayin'
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    haha yep -=) and its still hard to judge, what if they did not have a final build. though at this point though i cring to hear slow load times -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    If there is any credibility to the lag inferred above, that would be a very, very bad thing.

Seriously - that CPU should not be anything but instantanteous in driving that device after the OS has been optimized.

The only exceptions would be applications that rely on data from a cloud service, b3ecause they are "connection- speed/quality" dependant.

Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    If there is any credibility to the lag inferred above, that would be a very, very bad thing.

Seriously - that CPU should not be anything but instantanteous in driving that device after the OS has been optimized.

The only exceptions would be applications that rely on data from a cloud service, b3ecause they are "connection- speed/quality" dependant.

Just sayin...
    Are facebook and contacts pulling from the cloud just to load up?
    If the cloud is the problem, wonder why the reporter seems to think iPad is faster, is it storing facebook data on the device?
    I mean, people think that this first iteration of their first tablet is supposed to 100% awesome.. Personally, I expect there to be hiccups and bumps and everything in between because that's how it goes when it's a new item. I guarantee they'll get it fixed up when HP has had control of Palm for more than a year..

I think people think that HP is supposed to make is awesome right now, even though they've had Palm a very short time.
    Sprint Love
  9.    #9  
    Oh wow, look at this post below from deCorvett in our forums, full link below. Still perception is everything, if it looks slower than the iPad, the reviews will reflect this and consumers will stay away, HP needs to find a way to fix this problem.

"The issue is, in most cases, a perception issue. When a iOS app launches follows this flow:

the app starts launching
    while the app loads into memory the OS makes an animation of a frame resizing from the app icon to full screen. While this happens, the app loads a bitmap that is a exact representation of the app's startup UI. If the app doesn't have a "loading" screen, the image is an empty window, but with all the buttons, bars, and so on.
    the OS shows this image (not the actual app).
    the app loads it's preferences and initial setup, and starts running.

Actually, it takes between 1 to 3 seconds (depending on the app, of course) to the app to really load, but the user thinks that what they have in front of them is the real app, while they really only have a bitmap. Also, iOS PIM and browser apps are always open, so they really aren't opening each time (look at webOS' browser and email apps as reference, they are always running).

On webOS, the loading proccess is different. webOS loads the app in minimized state, showing a glowing icon until the app load is completed. The dev can replace the gray background of the app with a bitmap, but that approach doesn't look like an instant load. It really takes (practically, and obviously depending on how heavy the app is, and how it's developed) the same time to open an app on iOS or webOS, but the user doesn't have the same feeling.

I've been able to truly instant load (less than a second) of one of my apps just with a few tricks, like the ones iOS uses, but as the loading method is different, it has it's own issues (like UI flashing). "

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2985471
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/08/2011 at 08:42 AM.
    I wonder why WebOS appears to be inherently slower than other platforms. It seems that no matter how much hardware is thrown at it, we can't match the competitions load times.

However I do believe much of it has to do with the way app loading looks on webOS. Having the glowing logo on a grey background makes the user feel like there's an extra wait. Other platforms immedately display a full screen picture, which makes it look like the app is loaded.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, its crazy.. its like java just slow.. but at least its not bloated
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    am i the only one that hates the glowing/pulsating app load waiting method that webOS uses?

tbh i liked the original way better, when the app would just pop-up when it was loaded.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    That's why most speed comparisons that I see show two devices loading angry birds and wait until they hit the main menu. Then you know you're not just seeing splash screens or anything.
    Are you absolutely sure it was running the latest build of webOS 3.0? Because some of the demo units are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    There probably is probably a "current build" of WebOS 3.0 several times a day at this point.

The builds the demo units are using probably were made at least a couple weeks ago with stability as the priority over anything else. It's better to show a device that's slow than a device that crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I mean, people think that this first iteration of their first tablet is supposed to 100% awesome.. Personally, I expect there to be hiccups and bumps and everything in between because that's how it goes when it's a new item. I guarantee they'll get it fixed up when HP has had control of Palm for more than a year..

I think people think that HP is supposed to make is awesome right now, even though they've had Palm a very short time.
    Well then, I'll wait for v2 or v3 or even pass completely. HP has had Palm and WebOS long enough to make this stuff epic out the gate. No excuses at this stage.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    slow and fat......great another winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Having a static loading screen is more than just a perception of fast loading. It gives the user an extra second to orient themselves and decide what they are going to do before the UI actually loads. How many times do you launch an app and then start using the UI within a couple seconds?
    Of course, and that's exactly perception. Showing a mock of the UI makes the user think on the next step instead of wait, and this leaves the app that extra couple of seconds to load.

(This is exactly the same thing you wrote, but from a UI guy point of view instead of an user point of view.)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Of course, and that's exactly perception. Showing a mock of the UI makes the user think on the next step instead of wait, and this leaves the app that extra couple of seconds to load.

(This is exactly the same thing you wrote, but from a UI guy point of view instead of an user point of view.)
    Thanks for the clear explanation. So maybe HP should replace the gray screen with bitmaps right now and encourage devs to do the same?

Perception is everything right now due to various manufacturers churning out a variety of tablets.
    The slow glow is like watching the second hand of a clock... gruling

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast