Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    The front facing camera has been used with Skype in previous demos, which I believe has 145+ Million users. Which would probably lead to more use than facetime. Not a big deal.
    skype, source?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    The front facing camera has been used with Skype in previous demos, which I believe has 145+ Million users. Which would probably lead to more use than facetime. Not a big deal.
    Microsoft owns it now.........fragmented vs part of a larger OS system.

Facetime works perfect for me....skype does not work at all full size on Ipad. You have to use the Iphone version.
    <<Thread Cleansed>>

**Please stay on-topic. This is not yet another iPad vs everyone else thread.... if you wish to discuss those comparisons we have threads in the Other Handhelds forum for that purpose. Please stay on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    skype, source?
    Video

Quote Originally Posted by ice182010 View Post
    Both the TouchPad and Pre 3 will support skype video call, according to the demo video here:

go to 09:00
    Video
    no, the video didn't demo skype. they just said "skype, as we said back in feb event".

I will believe it when I see it. So far there is no real demo showing skype working on the touchpad.
    sales is what promote an ecosystem. The fanciest person is still only one user, who will only buy one copy of an app.

If Hp is targeting high profit market as you said, then I think they are not really interested in building an ecosystem, they just want to get some cash and be done with it in a year or two.
    Lol what? That's just silly. HP didn't spend 13Billion just to make some cash and be done with it. They made an investment, then spent months wrapping the entire corporation around webOS.

Do you know how many large corporations have "app ecosystems" without a single consumer facing product? Plenty. But, I don't think you understand how such things work. With large contracts it isn't about app downloads, its about licenses and services.

HP is positioning themselves to be successful in the corportate and consumer market. And they are understandably skewed towards the former because that's always been their bread and butter. Still, I wouldn't write the consumer market off just yet because of a "high price point". Since so many of us want to draw comparisons to Apple, why do we forget that they survived on high profit margins/ low sales long before the ipod came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    How do you know how they're selling it or what these "services" are? What certain markets are they uniquely positioned to serve?
    Honestly, I don't know exacty what these services are and likely never will as I am not in IT. I just know they exist because HP says over and over again that they are into selling services. And they are uniquely positioned to sell the touchpad as an augment to these services. They play are roll in companies infrastructure in a that none of their mobile competitors can compare (except maybe microsoft)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    HP is positioning themselves to be successful in the corportate and consumer market. And they are understandably skewed towards the former because that's always been their bread and butter. Still, I wouldn't write the consumer market off just yet because of a "high price point". Since so many of us want to draw comparisons to Apple, why do we forget that they survived on high profit margins/ low sales long before the ipod came out.
    I guess we will just have to wait and see if HP's business oriented strategy works or not. You seems confident, obviously I think its gonna fail.
    Good luck explaining that to a buyer walking into walmert, target, bestbuy, or frys.

The fundamental question is, does HP want to sell this in millions per month (quarter) at consumer market or not?
    lol, i wont have to explain anything to consumers. Thats HPs job. But creating a device that people use for work AND want to bring home for personal use has worked before...
    I guess we will just have to wait and see if HP's business oriented strategy works or not. You seems confident, obviously I think its gonna fail.
    Like you, I don't think HP have some defined business oriented strategy at all regarding TouchPad. TP is molded and aimed for consumer market. Holding same prices as iPads will led to performance comparisons between iPad and TouchPad. With small app count, and slower performance TouchPad will suffer in sales badly. Period.
    What's with all the presumptions and jumping to conclusions?

That's silly.

It'll be out soon enough and anybody that had the slightest interest can then have a look and see what's what.

All this speculation and prejudicial judgement makes no sense.
    And that goes for both the blind ******* and the cynical naysayers.

Wait till you have the final product in hand - then judging it would be based on something real - not just hearsay and making stuff up.

sigh
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    What's with all the presumptions and jumping to conclusions?

That's silly.

It'll be out soon enough and anybody that had the slightest interest can then have a look and see what's what.

All this speculation and prejudicial judgement makes no sense.
    And that goes for both the blind ******* and the cynical naysayers.

Wait till you have the final product in hand - then judging it would be based on something real - not just hearsay and making stuff up.

sigh

+ ONE
    So back on topic. The initial review, though not glowing, was certainly nowhere near as critical as the Playbook pre-launch reviews were looking. The Playbook has been universally acknowledged as improved since pre-launch demos, and I suspect the TouchPad will be as well.

I think the glowing card launcher is definitely a problem area that HP should address, but provided the OS is properly optimized, people can leave their apps open without killing the battery. That makes for a pretty instant launch. I think launch times are less important on a tablet than they are a smartphone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I don't think it is possible to make webos fast.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    it can be said that css javascript just won't ever be as fast as native code.

But webOS 2.x seems quite fluid on pre2 and pre3.
    Your Veer doesn't open the browser instantly? The glow starts on mine and its open, it feels instant. I dont have a Pre2 so I have no idea if thats the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Depends on what you consider fluid. I used the pre 2 and veer and they are no where as fluid as android os. There isn't any loading on android. When I open the web browser on android it opens instantly.
    Then it is already loaded in memory because that doen't even happen on fast desktops.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Slightly different thought here-- I'm not all that concerned about how long it will take for the app to load, because I tend to leave the apps open during the day. I'd guess that it would be even more of the same on the tablet-- any time I wake it up, there will be a web browser card already open.

So whether the apps are actually slower, or just perceived to be slower, it won't matter, because the superior multitasking will trump it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    slow and fat......great another winner.
    It's not nice to talk about me like that. You don't even know me!
    The implication that the apps are loading slowly is suspicious, here, so, I will take it with a grain of salt - they have had tons of time for optimization over the past few months.

Lag time on this device won't be tolerated - but, there should be no confusion with opening an app that is accessing data or a feature that relies on an outside cource or the cloud, and just opening up a game or a book reader - those, just like swiping cards, scrolling lists, opening and playing a stored video, or turning a page in any book reader need to be VERY responsive, ALL the time, EVERY time.

These are the features that will make the user feel that the device is performing well - the iPad2 does this quite well - and so does the Playbook - so, to compete, the TouchPad needs to at least be on par with them.

I cant imagine Leo saying he wants it to be "perfect" and then, turns around and actually releases a device with lags in it - he has way too much to lose doing that.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Our PreCentral poster is now saying it runs fine. The problem were the logs being generated and also Flash. More details in his post below.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2985928
    I'm repeating this post from page 3 #51 as it looks like it got lost.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast