Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    OS
    Specs (better than ipad2)
    thicker and heavier is not better.....
    That depends on the person, does it not? 5MM and 140g does not a disadvantage make.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    OS don't make it premium. And the only specs that are better are processor speed. Unfortunately, it's still slower opening apps and rendering animations.

So...no, it's not premium.
    You're just proving that "premium" is a relative notion.

Most people would not agree with you that a product's brand somehow makes it premium.
    I do wish everyone would stop talking about specs. My friend is a personal trainer; he's got an incredible physique. He also kind of sucks to hang around with, because he's vapid and narcissistic. His specs are better than mine, but I'm more fun to hang around with.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    what? the entry level touchpad any buyer will find in a retail store will be the 32Gb only, thats $100 more expensive than entry level iPad and $200 more expensive than entry level eee pad.

Its a myth that priced your tab lower than iPad will negatively impact sales, last time I checked. Motorola xoom's sales is in the toilet. and ASUS eee is selling much better. Its a greedy argument made by profit driven mentality of HP, they don't seem to understand the long term market share worth more than profit per unit at the start of a new product. Thats why MS 's XBOX succeeded and motorola's XOOM tanked.

Apple is selling its brand and cult following, and HP doesn't have those. Making it more expensive will attract even less buyers.
    You're not making apples to apples comparisons. You're essentially saying that HP needs to price their product at the same price as Apples cheapest iPad, even though the TouchPad is equipped the same as Apples mid-range iPad. Then you compare the Xoom with XBox

MS could take billions of dollars worth of losses on hardware sales because it was driving software and subscription sales. Xoom had no such model and as of yet neither does HP. They can't subsidize their profit this early in the game with software sales and their margins are already so low because of the commodity hardware market that it would be a tough sell to tell shareholders "we're going to take a $100 loss per unit in order to increase market share". Shareholders would want to know what gets cut to make up the difference and keep their revenue coming short term.

There's a difference between "entry level" and "debut". Entry level is your lowest cost configuration. Debut is your first product out the door. This is a debut not entry level unit.

Xoom tanked because 1) they were 200$+ over the comparable iPad 2) requiring activation fees just to use wi-fi. 3) they touted features that the average consumer just didn't care about (specs versus apps/use). It was too much of a barrier for their a debut product and the stench of that lingered even after they attempted to adjust.

The TouchPad is priced right at the similar model iPad2 Wi-Fi 32GB device. The first shipment of this product is going to go to mainly early adopters and enthusiasts. The market has already shown that the $600 price point is acceptable for a similar device. As early adopters buy and spread the word the cheaper models will make their way to shelves non-enthusiasts and budget conscious people will get those entry level devices.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vci_cell View Post
    i do wish everyone would stop talking about specs. My friend is a personal trainer; he's got an incredible physique. He also kind of sucks to hang around with, because he's vapid and narcissistic. His specs are better than mine, but i'm more fun to hang around with.
    that sir is the best quote ever!!! :d
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I do wish everyone would stop talking about specs. My friend is a personal trainer; he's got an incredible physique. He also kind of sucks to hang around with, because he's vapid and narcissistic. His specs are better than mine, but I'm more fun to hang around with.
    I don't think your opinion counts in the "I'm more fun to hang around with" situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    You're not making apples to apples comparisons. You're essentially saying that HP needs to price their product at the same price as Apples cheapest iPad, even though the TouchPad is equipped the same as Apples mid-range iPad. Then you compare the Xoom with XBox
    of course I was, when a user walked into a store and find a touchpad $100 more expensive, who gonna tell them "this is 32Gb version, there is also a 16Gb version that you can't buy in this store"?

I am saying HP needs to release 16Gb to the retail, and every model should be $50-100 cheaper.

Touchpad is not equipped the same as apple's iPad:

It has only one camera
    Its plastic
    Its thicker
    Its NOT made by apple ( i know this is a plus for some people, but look at the big picture for once).
  9.    #49  
    Our PreCentral poster is now saying it runs fine. The problem were the logs being generated and also Flash. More details in his post below.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2985928
    Not a complainer. Just an observer. I mean, Beats Audio in little speakers on a 10-inch piece of plastic? Ok. I don't think anyone has an opinion on iPad speakers because nobody uses speakers on a tablet. Maybe it's awesome through headphones.
    Yes, the TouchPad has stereo speakers but beats audio is in reference to what drives the audio, you will hear better performance through headphones since that is what it was designed for.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    The complainers have gotten ridiculous in here.

Everything the ipad is good at is what makes a product premium like thickness, woo! that's so useful in devices that are already thin!

Everything the ipad is bad at doesn't matter in making a product premium, like beats stereo speakers, who needs that on a multimedia device? lol.
    so you watch movies using speakers.....this is a personal multimedia device most people use headphones....more missing the mark.

And yes thin and light is everything to a person who travels or a power user who is going to carry the thing all day.

I have both Ipad and Ipad2....its big difference.
    Last edited by bignoze; 06/08/2011 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    The complainers have gotten ridiculous in here.

Everything the ipad is good at is what makes a product premium like thickness, woo! that's so useful in devices that are already thin!

Everything the ipad is bad at doesn't matter in making a product premium, like beats stereo speakers, who needs that on a multimedia device? lol.
    When you don't have a cult following like apple, and you want to price your stuff at the same price as market leader. Of course every shortcoming will be talked about, and there are many.

We complain because we think HP is on a road to destruction and there are things they can do to change the course (AKA, lower prices now and distribute 16Gb to stores)
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    so you watch movies in using speakers.....this is a personal multimedia device most people use headphones....more missing the mark.
    Your post, as well as the quoted one, is missing the mark. See the posts before yours referencing how Beats audio will provide a better experience for headphone listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Your post, as well as the quoted one, is missing the mark. See the posts before yours referencing how Beats audio will provide a better experience for headphone listening.
    there is a reason sounds cards is dead, because most people don't care. What they do actually care, is price, functions, looks.
    You people complaining about the price need to understand, HP isn't just selling the touchpad as a peice of hardware, its going to compliment the services they provide. HP likely ALREADY has touchpad related service agreements with some larger companies. Evidence of this is the app catalog changes they've made to appease the 'security needs' of their business customers. I'm not sure exactly what they have in store, but it appears that they are uniquely positioned to serve certain markets. This increases the value of their product.
    Why does everyone say the screen is not as good as ipads? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it is IPS. There were videos from media back in Feb where bloggers mentioned how the screen 'looks painted on' (in a good way).
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    there is a reason sounds cards is dead, because most people don't care. What they do actually care, is price, functions, looks.
    Wait so are you saying that there doesn't exist a huge market for premium sound? The thing about such markets is that they thrive on high profit margins not neccisarily high sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    You people complaining about the price need to understand, HP isn't just selling the touchpad as a peice of hardware, its going to compliment the services they provide. HP likely ALREADY has touchpad related service agreements with some larger companies. Evidence of this is the app catalog changes they've made to appease the 'security needs' of their business customers. I'm not sure exactly what they have in store, but it appears that they are uniquely positioned to serve certain markets. This increases the value of their product.
    Good luck explaining that to a buyer walking into walmert, target, bestbuy, or frys.

The fundamental question is, does HP want to sell this in millions per month (quarter) at consumer market or not?
    ...Having better headphone audio or slightly higher front-facing camera resolution that is way less likely to be used than Facetime....not a big deal...
    The front facing camera has been used with Skype in previous demos, which I believe has 145+ Million users. Which would probably lead to more use than facetime. Not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Wait so are you saying that there doesn't exist a huge market for premium sound? The thing about such markets is that they thrive on high profit margins not neccisarily high sales.
    sales is what promote an ecosystem. The fanciest person is still only one user, who will only buy one copy of an app.

If Hp is targeting high profit market as you said, then I think they are not really interested in building an ecosystem, they just want to get some cash and be done with it in a year or two.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast