Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks for the clear explanation. So maybe HP should replace the gray screen with bitmaps right now and encourage devs to do the same?

Perception is everything right now due to various manufacturers churning out a variety of tablets.
    RIM has been saying the same thing about splash screens (video at 23:30).

Thanks for the clear explanation. So maybe HP should replace the gray screen with bitmaps right now and encourage devs to do the same?

Perception is everything right now due to various manufacturers churning out a variety of tablets.
    The gray screen has been replaceable from some time ago, but the issue is with that glowing icon and the time the app takes to maximize itself. If you get a way to minimize the time needed to notify the OS the app is ready (or if you lie to it), you will get instant startup or, at least (depending on the system load) much less time with the glowing icon showing.

So the issue here is with the app loading flow. And this is hard to talk about without being part of EAP right now, but with Mojo, the OS was forced to:

On user click -> open the app window AND load the app (while showing a background and the glow icon) -> work

As it has been said by HP that enyo is a strongly object oriented framework, Enyo would allow to work on two different ways: the Mojo one and this one:

On user click -> open the app window (while showing a background and the glow icon) -> load the app -> work

If that's the case, Then you have only one issue: Depending on the system load, You could have the window open instantly, and showing an empty card until the app shows it's stuff, instead of the glowing icon.

How to solve this? With a mock image, of course, but how you can show a mock image if the app haven't really started to load?

The terms aren't exactly the correct ones (it's not exactly "load the app", but I think this way is easier to understand.
    Newness Developments apps:

But this is off topic. The OP is commenting an issue with one specific unit. The Touchpad demoed at MWC was pretty smooth and responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I mean, people think that this first iteration of their first tablet is supposed to 100% awesome.. Personally, I expect there to be hiccups and bumps and everything in between because that's how it goes when it's a new item. I guarantee they'll get it fixed up when HP has had control of Palm for more than a year..
    the question is, they priced this thing so expensive, with this type of reviews, it just won't sell.

After 6 months of bad sales, will HP actually be motivated to push this further at all?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    But this is off topic. The OP is commenting an issue with one specific unit. The Touchpad demoed at MWC was pretty smooth and responsive.
    I hope so. We've got two reports of slowness from HP Discover, one from the computing.co.uk reporter and one from the forums (link at the bottom in my first post). The guy from the forums is taking another look today and will report back.
    I hope so. We've got two reports of slowness from HP Discover, one from the computing.co.uk reporter and one from the forums (link at the bottom in my first post). The guy from the forums is taking another look today and will report back.
    I think HP can fix slowness, whether its perceived or reality.
    It's not an isolated report. As bluenote mentioned, there is more reports of lagging, and others assuming it because old build on demoed units.
    But it's probably the same unit... I've saw the Touchpad live (it's a nice toy), and I can tell you it's at least as fast as a Pre2.

Also, don't bet on the demo units have the lastest build, they don't update the devices but on major updates.

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    But it's probably the same unit... I've saw the Touchpad live (it's a nice toy), and I can tell you it's at least as fast as a Pre2.

Also, don't bet on the demo units have the lastest build, they don't update the devices but on major updates.
    Nice to hear your experience.
    I guess its possible they only have 1 unit in the entire HP Discover floor, seems a little sparse but if they are not ready to debut yet, could be so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There probably is probably a "current build" of WebOS 3.0 several times a day at this point.

The builds the demo units are using probably were made at least a couple weeks ago with stability as the priority over anything else. It's better to show a device that's slow than a device that crashes.
    All the TouchPads run on webOS 3.0... But there are different builds of it. As it gets optimized, the build number goes up with every advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    All the TouchPads run on webOS 3.0... But there are different builds of it. As it gets optimized, the build number goes up with every advance.
    Right. And I'm saying, they are making "builds" so often right now in crunch mode, they can't possibly update demo units to the latest.
    I'm not that concerned about app loading. Its never bothered me that much except with something like google maps. What concerns me is the scrolling smoothness and touch input lag which is commented on in the review and I've noticed it some of the videos I've seen. Yeah going between cards looks good. The issue comes when scrolling through your email list, contacts, or messaging list. Just like on the Pre, you can see it stutter or stop briefly before moving on. Is this a reflection of the things deCorvett has talked about, a GPU issue, software, or a combination of all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    am i the only one that hates the glowing/pulsating app load waiting method that webOS uses?

tbh i liked the original way better, when the app would just pop-up when it was loaded.
    I definately liked the old way better. But I guess they did away with it because sometimes several seconds would go by before ANYTHING happened.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    the question is, they priced this thing so expensive, with this type of reviews, it just won't sell.

After 6 months of bad sales, will HP actually be motivated to push this further at all?
    It's no more expensively priced than the identically equipped iPad2. The initial release is dead center for the market. The original iPads Wi-Fi versions sold at almost twice the rate the 3G versions did. At the same time the 16/32/64gb storage size wasn't much of a differentiation and from what I read they sold equally between the three configurations (32-33%). So HP can come in with the mid range device and then fill in the budget and premium line moving forward.

The problem with pricing too far below the iPad is in making consumers think that because your cheaper that your product is cheap or inferior. That could negatively impact your sales. If you make your product appear to be equal, price is a quick indicator, people will likely dig in a little more to find out what differentiates the two products, giving a higher chance of a sale in your products favor. People's experience with the 200-400$ tablets so far have been poor. HP needs to stay out of that until they build a reputation with their new product. Then they can focus on those budget lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    It's no more expensively priced than the identically equipped iPad2. The initial release is dead center for the market. The original iPads Wi-Fi versions sold at almost twice the rate the 3G versions did. At the same time the 16/32/64gb storage size wasn't much of a differentiation and from what I read they sold equally between the three configurations (32-33%). So HP can come in with the mid range device and then fill in the budget and premium line moving forward.

The problem with pricing too far below the iPad is in making consumers think that because your cheaper that your product is cheap or inferior. That could negatively impact your sales. If you make your product appear to be equal, price is a quick indicator, people will likely dig in a little more to find out what differentiates the two products, giving a higher chance of a sale in your products favor. People's experience with the 200-400$ tablets so far have been poor. HP needs to stay out of that until they build a reputation with their new product. Then they can focus on those budget lines.
    what? the entry level touchpad any buyer will find in a retail store will be the 32Gb only, thats $100 more expensive than entry level iPad and $200 more expensive than entry level eee pad.

Its a myth that priced your tab lower than iPad will negatively impact sales, last time I checked. Motorola xoom's sales is in the toilet. and ASUS eee is selling much better. Its a greedy argument made by profit driven mentality of HP, they don't seem to understand the long term market share worth more than profit per unit at the start of a new product. Thats why MS 's XBOX succeeded and motorola's XOOM tanked.

Apple is selling its brand and cult following, and HP doesn't have those. Making it more expensive will attract even less buyers.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post

basic 16g Wifi is not budget......and with few apps and a new product, that is slightly inferior, they need to fill the shelves with options not a premium price device with no track record.

more fail HP......I don't care how many places you try to sell it. Walmart, target, BB.....you need to have devices on hand and the full range of products to get users on board and develop a marketplace.
    They can't price it like they do printers because there is no equivalent of overpriced ink to make it functional
    the touchpad IS a premium tablet...................................................................
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    the touchpad IS a premium tablet...................................................................
    price wise, yes
    OS wise, maybe
    function wise, no
    hardware wise, hell no.

buyers will notice this, when they walk into a store, see the price difference of $100-$200, they will sure ask "why is this one so expensive"?
    OS
    Specs (better than ipad2)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast