Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Leo said TouchPad launch"very shortly" "we'll leave the garage door open to partners "

"Apotheker told Discover attendees the TouchPad will be available "very shortly"

"TouchPad is not only really cool, it's also uniquely appropriate for businesses. It's designed from the ground up with enterprises in mind, in terms of security and running enterprise apps," Apotheker said. "And in true HP fashion, we'll leave the garage door open to partners and customers so you can access tools and drive your own innovation.

Full article:

At the opening of HP (NYSE:HPQ) Discover 2011 in Las Vegas, HP CEO Leo Apotheker offered insight into how he plans to pump up the company's capabilities in cloud computing, mobility and enterprise software.

HP is in the process of building a full cloud stack that includes infrastructure-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, and Open Cloud Marketplace, and HP will be launching a public cloud offering "soon", Apotheker told a Discover 2011 keynote crowd of around 10,000 attendees.

Cognizant that its customers will transition to cloud at different speeds, HP has positioned itself as a go-to purveyor of hybrid cloud infrastructure, and this in an area HP expects to bear fruit for the next several years, Apotheker said. "We recognize that the cloud is the most disruptive force in technology since the advent of the PC," he said.

To make the plunge more attractive to those on the fence, HP's Financial Services division is earmarking $2 billion for customers that want to invest in enterprise cloud deployments, Apotheker said.

Apotheker didn't mention it specifically, but Apple's launch of iCloud on Monday provided an illustrative backdrop for the transformative effect that cloud is having on a number of industry segments.

"Look what the combination of connectivity and cloud has done to the music industry, publishing, manufacturing and healthcare. Everything is being delivered as a service," he said.

HP CloudSystem, is a Converged Infrastructure product that wraps together software and services and was designed in partnership with cloud service providers. As an example, Apotheker invited on stage Kerry Bailey, president of Verizon (NYSE:VZ) Terremark, who shared his company's vision for where IT is headed.

"The expectation from organizations is that they're going to buy IT as a service. Our response is to deliver everything from network to applications as a service," Bailey said in the keynote.

Apotheker then shifted to HP's mobility plans and offered what could be construed as a more concrete timeframe for the release of the long awaited TouchPad tablet than HP has given previously. Apotheker told Discover attendees the TouchPad will be available "very shortly", while HP officials have made themselves hoarse in recent months repeating the "summer" timeframe.

The TouchPad is a dead ringer for Apple (NSDQ:AAPL)'s iPad from a physical standpoint, but HP has imbued the device with the kind of enterprise IT hooks and integration that will allow companies to deploy it without creating headaches for IT, Apotheker suggested.

"TouchPad is not only really cool, it's also uniquely appropriate for businesses. It's designed from the ground up with enterprises in mind, in terms of security and running enterprise apps," Apotheker said. "And in true HP fashion, we'll leave the garage door open to partners and customers so you can access tools and drive your own innovation.

HP's software business accounted for just three percent of the company's $126 billion in fiscal 2010 revenue and Apotheker has made it a priority to boost this figure. One area in which HP plans to do this is in so-called Big Data, which Apotheker described as the combination of structured and unstructured data that represents huge logistical challenge for enterprise IT.

HP's acquisition in March of Vertica Systems, a business intelligence vendor and erstwhile HP partner, is an indication of where HP intends to build its expertise, Apotheker said.

HP's software business may be relatively small at this point in time but Apotheker said this actually enables the company to be nimble in response to industry trends.

"At HP we don’t have aging legacy franchise to protect, so we can leap directly to where the market is going," Apotheker said.

And some more interesting information on the article below:

Source: http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/230200...tm?itc=refresh
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    ahhh I cannot wait any longer!!!
    I guess we can change "in the coming months" to "in the coming weeks." Still frustrated though just give us a damn date!
    in the coming months, in the coming weeks, very soon, very shorty.. How about now?!?! So I'm assuming the June 12 release date is incorrect - I guess we should stay with the June 20th release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNoso11 View Post
    in the coming months, in the coming weeks, very soon, very shorty.. How about now?!?! So I'm assuming the June 12 release date is incorrect - I guess we should stay with the June 20th release date.
    Given that all "release dates" thus far have been generated by enthusiasts and based on zero hard evidence, I'd say you can believe in any date you want.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    touchpad is pretty useless without a pre3 and inability to purchase apps in Asian countries... IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    touchpad is pretty useless without a pre3 and inability to purchase apps in Asian countries... IMHO
    enyo is supposed to bring app purchases worldwide
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    enyo is supposed to bring app purchases worldwide
    Unfortunately with HP/Palm "supposed" is vaporware as long as its not available, same for "this summer" is vaporware.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    Unfortunately with HP/Palm "supposed" is vaporware as long as its not available, same for "this summer" is vaporware.
    I understand your frustration, but given that stores are setting up their displays, the touchpad isn't far off. Also HP officials have stated the app cat will be worldwide on day one. That kind of statement shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/08/2011 at 05:27 AM.
    I agree that the TouchPad is just another $600 tablet
    with out the pair with Pre 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love webOS.

They should have released them together, I don't see sales
    of the Touchpad skyrocketing.
    business tablet..... is that hp gonna sell touchpad as?

how about some consumer market? make some good ads and lower the price.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    business tablet..... is that hp gonna sell touchpad as?

how about some consumer market? make some good ads and lower the price.
    The price will not and should not be lowered, as has been explained in quite a few editorials by now. Also HP is banking on the fact that what people work with in the office, they will want to take home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefiorim View Post
    The price will not and should not be lowered, as has been explained in quite a few editorials by now. Also HP is banking on the fact that what people work with in the office, they will want to take home.
    great, let the disappointment unfold then.

The editorial here is always defending HP, no matter how idiotic and unrealistic their decision is.

HP doesn't need sympathetic softballs from P|C editors, HP need bitter and helpful suggestions. At least its only words now, when the sales go down to the drain, its money and market at risk.
    There's nothing wrong with the touchpad's price so long as the services and content available at launch hold value.
    Man, I wish I ran a company where people were begging me to take their money.
  16.    #16  
    Agree ,TouchPad and Pre3 should come together and sales will sky-rocket. However maybe HP is targeting the enterprise and small business sector first with just the TouchPad and when the Pre 3 is ready for a worldwide launch they will boost them with great advertise.

If I am not wrong the TouchPad and the Pre3 have different components manufacturers suppliers and assamblers in Taiwan . Different production output time lines, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    It's kinda odd that there's so much talk about enterprise and business, tho, because all I am seeing is displays in Wal-Mart and Best Buy and celebrity commercials. I don't think this platform is all things to all people, really. At least, it shouldn't be.
    I've been wondering that too. It seems that in the last month HP's messaging has been to try and sell the TouchPad as an enterprise business tool (like the slate). With sales reps emailing us for business and bulk sales.

But their actions in marketing do not match that.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    its wednesday june 8th, still no announce ment of a release date, i think this June 12th rumor is more or less dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    great, let the disappointment unfold then.

The editorial here is always defending HP, no matter how idiotic and unrealistic their decision is.
    I've been wondering for a while what your business experience is, particularly in marketing and dealing with vendors.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    It's kinda odd that there's so much talk about enterprise and business, tho, because all I am seeing is displays in Wal-Mart and Best Buy and celebrity commercials. I don't think this platform is all things to all people, really. At least, it shouldn't be.
    I dont think you are going to see HP selling to businesses, they already said this device is both for the enterprise and for the consumer. Look at Citrix and the other enterprise apps being announced. How many consumer apps have we heard about? None. My opinion is the device is going to be way more enterprise and if you want a consumer experience with netflix and such you will have to go to iOS or Android.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast