Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 141
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm betting that they are still working on the final version of the software, a newer version of webOS than is currently on those boxed shipping TouchPads. They most likely have a huge paper inside the box or taped to TouchPad screen saying, "Please update before first use" and are frantically still trying to complete this version of webOS before announcing date and putting shipments on shelves.. just my guess..
    funny

    but not a bad idea at all. We shall see.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm betting that they are still working on the final version of the software, a newer version of webOS than is currently on those boxed shipping TouchPads. They most likely have a huge paper inside the box or taped to TouchPad screen saying, "Please update before first use" and are frantically still trying to complete this version of webOS before announcing date and putting shipments on shelves.. just my guess..
    how did you come up with this?
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    how did you come up with this?
    It's pretty obvious when you add up the facts.

    It may not be as exact as clevin says, but it's pretty obvious that the hold up is the software getting finalized, optimized, and the best they can make it up to the last minute.
  4. #64  
    Seems I'm being dissed for my theory :P it's all good..
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Seems I'm being dissed for my theory :P it's all good..
    no, not being dissed. just seemed like a really random and precise theory. i dont see why people think the software is behind. its not like they are delaying anything, their timetable never changed imo.
  6. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I would think they are display units as well. This is WalMart we're talking about here. Why on earth would they only stock 2 units of anything, unless it's just for display?
    See: Veer at Best Buy

    At least there are displays being set up ahead of time on this one.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    no, not being dissed. just seemed like a really random and precise theory. i dont see why people think the software is behind. its not like they are delaying anything, their timetable never changed imo.
    I've talked to insiders who have played with the touchpad and who know someone who works at HPalm. I've been told the new Facebook app is so buggy, that over 100 tickets were filed in a single day for it. Their software is not ready to go for a launch and I'm sure that is what they are frantically still working on..

    Note: those 100 tickets were filed by a single person.. :P
  8. #68  
    I'm at my local walmart right now and just looked everywhere and didn't find any shelf space reserved... asked the guy to check inventory and he didn't find anything in the system. I had to talk him into checking, told him other walmarts around the US were getting them. He said their walmart was behind and just got the ipad. =( no dice
  9. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I've talked to insiders who have played with the touchpad and who know someone who works at HPalm. I've been told the new Facebook app is so buggy, that over 100 tickets were filed in a single day for it. Their software is not ready to go for a launch and I'm sure that is what they are frantically still working on..

    Note: those 100 tickets were filed by a single person.. :P
    how long ago was this?
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    how long ago was this?
    Last week. I want this thing just as bad as you all! I'll be buying on the 1st day its available anywhere..
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I've talked to insiders who have played with the touchpad and who know someone who works at HPalm. I've been told the new Facebook app is so buggy, that over 100 tickets were filed in a single day for it. Their software is not ready to go for a launch and I'm sure that is what they are frantically still working on..

    Note: those 100 tickets were filed by a single person.. :P
    If their bug tracking system works anything like the ones I've used in the past, no one person could create 100 new bugs in a day. It's pretty time consuming.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If their bug tracking system works anything like the ones I've used in the past, no one person could create 100 new bugs in a day. It's pretty time consuming.
    Maybe he/she wrote them on a piece of paper and was going to fill out forms for them later.
  13. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #73  
    Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that it's software - even from as far back as the Think Beyond event, it was pretty obvious hardware was nearly final, but the software was basically alpha. Remember, they're basically rewritting webOS...
  14. #74  
    Anyone remember opening their brand-new Pre on launch day and being prompted pretty much immediately to update to webOS 1.0.1 or .2? I expect the TouchPad to experience the same volley of updates right out the gate.
  15. #75  
    What I dont understand if they have so many bugs on the software side, why not make few changes in the hardware while waiting for software to catch up. Plus why did the bugs escape Ruby before? Shouldnt he be on toes for last few months, catching these bugs?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Anyone remember opening their brand-new Pre on launch day and being prompted pretty much immediately to update to webOS 1.0.1 or .2? I expect the TouchPad to experience the same volley of updates right out the gate.
    I remember updates coming quick those first few months. Remember how young and hopeful we were?
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What I dont understand if they have so many bugs on the software side, why not make few changes in the hardware while waiting for software to catch up. Plus why did the bugs escape Ruby before? Shouldnt he be on toes for last few months, catching these bugs?
    "A few changes in hardware" involve a lot of time in re-design and fabrication. Conjecture is that HP had the hardware pretty well nailed down a long time ago. They may even have been sitting on a huge pile of already-built tablets waiting for webOS to be loaded onto them.

    "Why did the bugs escape Ruby?" You're serious? Do you know how much work goes into (re)building an OS, especially on this tight a timetable? Bugs are inevitable. Look at the XOOM - bug city at launch.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    I remember updates coming quick those first few months. Remember how young and hopeful we were?
    Man, it was great.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What I dont understand if they have so many bugs on the software side, why not make few changes in the hardware while waiting for software to catch up.
    Because the hardware changes would require a return to the factory and recertification by the FCC.

    Plus why did the bugs escape Ruby before? Shouldnt he be on toes for last few months, catching these bugs?
    Ruby doesn't do actual bug hunting. He's an executive, not a QA tech.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    "A few changes in hardware" involve a lot of time in re-design and fabrication. Conjecture is that HP had the hardware pretty well nailed down a long time ago. They may even have been sitting on a huge pile of already-built tablets waiting for webOS to be loaded onto them.

    "Why did the bugs escape Ruby?" You're serious? Do you know how much work goes into (re)building an OS, especially on this tight a timetable? Bugs are inevitable. Look at the XOOM - bug city at launch.



    Man, it was great.
    Then why get ready with hardware so early if it takes month for the software to even get close.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  20. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What I dont understand if they have so many bugs on the software side, why not make few changes in the hardware while waiting for software to catch up. Plus why did the bugs escape Ruby before? Shouldnt he be on toes for last few months, catching these bugs?
    They knew in February that launch wouldn't be until Summer, so there was clearly a software development plan that went out that far, including testing. Enyo framework, new features, optimization for hardware, redone apps (Facebook), updated installed apps, etc. Any of that development can introduce or highlight bugs not encountered before, as well as the planned testing.

    So, we're in QA phase right now, so of course bugs are being found and worked on. Perhaps it's a little later than they hoped - maybe there's more or harder bugs than expected, maybe they greenlighted a great idea late in the process, maybe a programmer was out sick for a week. Or maybe they're exactly on their schedule, who knows.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions