Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Saw this on webOS Roundup, They're over at the HP Discover event & have found out that the the TouchPad will take calls & texts not only from the Pre 3, but the Veer & Pre 2 as well (via Bluetooth pairing). Also opening the possibility to Bluetooth pair it with any phone & do the same thing.

This is sweet!!! I care more about this feature than touch-to-share, so if Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3, I'll be happy to send calls & texts to my TouchPad with my Pre 2. Awesome! Here's the link to the post & quoted text from the article:

<staff edit>

We all know the HP TouchPad has a cool differentiating feature that will take calls and SMS from the Pre3. We’ve speculated in the past that in addition to Touch-to-Share technology, the HP Veer should be able to forward calls and texts to the TouchPad as well.

Well, our guys Rich Dunbar and George Salcedo are on the ground floor of the HP Discover event, poking around and asking every question imaginable… and have turned up some interesting information. According to a credible source at the event, the HP Veer will be able to forward calls and SMS via Bluetooth to the TouchPad… no surprises, there. But here’s the big surprise: so will the Pre 2. Now that is new. And very exciting.

It also makes us think: if calls and SMS are transferred via Bluetooth, then it stands to reason that any phone with standard Bluetooth should be able to transfer calls and texts to a paired TouchPad. This is a pretty BIG differentiator, friends. We’re actually pretty surprised the competition hadn’t thought of something like this before. If this tip pans out, then we imagine it won’t be long before others incorporate this feature.

UPDATE: Our boys on the ground have confirmed… HP Veer will send SMS to the HP TouchPad right out of the box! Exciting stuff. More as we hear it.

[/Quote]
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/07/2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: link to competing site removed
    Nice, interested to see how the "other phone" support develops.

But one thing comes to mind. Anyone else notice how webosroundup is kicking precentral in the "real" news department.
    eh, not really. PC has more news and the forums here are 100000000X better
    Cool! I can see the benefit to sending SMS and video calls to the tablet, but why voice calls? If you're going to bother with bluetooth, why not just have a bluetooth headset?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Cool! I can see the benefit to sending SMS and video calls to the tablet, but why voice calls? If you're going to bother with bluetooth, why not just have a bluetooth headset?
    It's a convenience, like say you are at home relaxing, using your TouchPad while your phone is charging on a touchstone on the other side of the room, and you get a call. Why get up & go to the other side of the room for a call, when you can just answer or ignore from your TouchPad. Same thing goes for text messages. I think this is one of the best features of the TouchPad.
    Before I saw the update to the article, I was going to say: I don't know of any protocol that supports SMS over bluetooth. I think Palm wrote a custom one for webOS. Hence the Pre 2 will be able to since it will be udpated to 3.0. Its a bit of a stretch for them to assume "any phone" will be able to do it...

Calls maybe, since it will act like a bluetooth headset... but SMS... eh that's pushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Nice, interested to see how the "other phone" support develops.

But one thing comes to mind. Anyone else notice how webosroundup is kicking precentral in the "real" news department.
    I thought I read that Webosroundup had something like three people at the Discover Event, and PC had none... is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I thought I read that Webosroundup had something like three people at the Discover Event, and PC had none... is that right?
    webosroundup has 2 people. They are working hard. That said, Precentral:
    --broke a bunch of news about retail outlets: Walmart, Staples, BestBuy
    --did an indepth review of the Veer (the first review on the net)
    --broke the webos 3.0 early betas

among other things. They've been a reliable, early, thorough consistent source of news for webOS for the past two years.

Its nice to have at least 2 sites carrying news about webOS and they work well together.
    I think it would be in HP's best interest to allow as much phone pairing as possible. People are tied to carriers, but having the phone pairing features work with their current phone gives people another incentive to consider the TouchPad. HP should do everything they can to make webOS play nice with other devices and other operating systems so that those already investing in another ecosystem can experience webOS and begin a transition over instead of one massive leap.
  10.    #10  
    They made a second update to the article: It's quoted below:

UPDATE 2: Minor correction on the Pre2 part. We are told that the Pre2 should be able to do SMS-to-TouchPad with a software update.
    Also some more insights from Rich Dunbar in the comments section of the article are quoted below:

-Just for everyone who is curious, the standard BT potocols for calls and for SMS are what are used for this functionality. So any device that uses those standards will work is what we have been told.

-The Pre 2 works with calls right now. Just not SMS. In fact calls work with EVERY BT enabled phone!
    Pre 2 WITH a software update.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    eh, not really. PC has more news and the forums here are 100000000X better
    Forums are more extensive, but I did read a funny thing on the other site: "You know how I can tell I'm not on PreCentral? All the positive comments!"

lol
    For calls any phone could use bluetooth headset profile to connect to TP (assuming TP supports standard headset profile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    It's a convenience, like say you are at home relaxing, using your TouchPad while your phone is charging on a touchstone on the other side of the room, and you get a call. Why get up & go to the other side of the room for a call, when you can just answer or ignore from your TouchPad. Same thing goes for text messages. I think this is one of the best features of the TouchPad.
    Right but bluetooth distance is pretty slim. If your room is 15 feet wide, the connection's gonna suck. I'd have preferred to see it work over wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    And who wants to sit at home relaxing with a bluetooth headset stuck on their ear?
    The fact that the Pre2 will have the ability to tie into the TouchPad isn't new news. They said after Feb 9 that 2.2 would most likely be rolled out to the Pre2 after the Veer. This is just an unofficial confirmation of those past statements.

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    And who wants to sit at home relaxing with a bluetooth headset stuck on their ear?
    The beauty of this feature is that you don't need to use a Bluetooth headset to take calls on the Tablet. The tablet itself has a mic and speakers built right in (it was discussed at ThinkBeyond). If you don't want to use a headset, you don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Right but bluetooth distance is pretty slim. If your room is 15 feet wide, the connection's gonna suck. I'd have preferred to see it work over wifi.
    Actually bluetooth is 30 feet, but I do agree with you, I would have preferred they did it over WiFi...
    Bluetooth ranges vary. Class 1 devices go to 100m, Class 2 to 10m, and Class 3 to 3m. Depending on circumstances, you can get longer ranges, but those are the targets for the different classes.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    True, but I've never seen a Class 3 BT device yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Actually bluetooth is 30 feet, but I do agree with you, I would have preferred they did it over WiFi...
    over wifi would lag, and only work at home. Any public wifi site is designed so systems cant see each other...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast