Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    over wifi would lag, and only work at home. Any public wifi site is designed so systems cant see each other...
    this. Bluetooth is definitely the most dependable solution. for this application.
    Good point. It would have been better if they made it a local WiFi PAN. What they're doing now is probably a Bluetooth PAN. I don't THINK it works like just a bluetooth headset. We'll see I guess.

If they could have made it so that the touchpad had its own network and any connected webOS device could transmit call/SMS over WiFi, it wouldn't have any lag, and would work anywhere without the need for external WiFI.
    Great news about interoperability, but I'm glad I'm not the only one dubious about call quality on the TouchPad. I get interference on BT headsets when my phone's in the wrong pocket, let alone across the room. Here's hoping they've worked some magic.
    They've just increased the number and variety of devices that the TP can take calls from, to almost every bluetooth-enabled smartphone, which adds to its appeal to consumers and enterprises, alike - that's an incredible selling point for the folks at BestBuy, and WalMart.

I think that's "very shagadellic baby!!!!" (apologies to Austin Powers).

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    over wifi would lag, and only work at home. Any public wifi site is designed so systems cant see each other...
    Incorrect. Most public WiFi sites are designed so that you can see each other. Wireless is a shared medium. I can watch all of your traffic go by. Unless you have your own personal login to the WiFi network, I can see everything that you do. If the network is using unique credentials and WEP, I can't see what you're doing for about 15 seconds, because that's how long it takes to crack the strongest WEP keys, and then I can see everything, including what you were doing before I cracked it because I've been recording all of the traffic.

A well-designed network uses unique credentials and WPA or (better) WPA2, but this usually involves a more complex and therefore expensive setup.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    I could be mistaken, but don't lots of Bluetooth car kits read texts? It seems like if they wanted to HP could probably make it work with any phone.

That being said, doesn't seem likely to me, but who knows.
    I think it's Message Access Profile (MAP) which is used for reading SMS and MMS messages.

"MAP defines a set of features and procedures to exchange messages between devices. It is especially tailored for the automotive Hands-Free use case where an onboard terminal device (typically a Car-Kit installed in the car) takes advantage of the messaging capability of a communication device (typically a mobile phone). This profile can however also be used for other use cases that require the exchange of messages between two devices."

Since it is another bluetooth profile (not yet standardized), I don't see why TP couldn't support broader range of phones at least in theory. It looks like this profile supports bluetooth messaging between two paired devices, not just message forwarding.
    What is the advantage, if you're on bluetooth, to taking a call over a tablet, instead of over the phone.

I see if it wasn't via bluetooth - but if you're going to be on blue tooth anyhow, what do you gain?

(I am not challenging; I really don't know. I am sure there is a reason, I just can't figure it out)
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    What is the advantage, if you're on bluetooth, to taking a call over a tablet, instead of over the phone.

I see if it wasn't via bluetooth - but if you're going to be on blue tooth anyhow, what do you gain?

(I am not challenging; I really don't know. I am sure there is a reason, I just can't figure it out)
    Beats audio?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

It's just easier for some people. If you're already doing something on your tablet and a call comes in, you can answer it without getting up to get your phone. More convenient and doesn't disrupt your workflow as much. Your eyes are still on the same screen.
    Message forwarding seems OK. Call forwarding, well, maybe OK if phone is charging and you are in another room playing with TP.
    being able to receive my text msg on the HP Touchpad is huge! I was looking at buying an HTC EVO VIEW from sprint, but to be able get text msg on it you have to have a tablet plan which ranges from $40 to $90 bucks a month!!!! HP Palm hit one out of the park if this is true and allows any new BT phone to connect.

I talked with a HP sales rep today and he couldn't confirm this ability with the wifi verision coming out.

Does the walmart ver of HP Touchpad allow text message forwarding?
    All versions of TP should be capable of this, yes.
    This is good news. Glad to see that it will work with most phones that use bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by balgus View Post
    This is good news. Glad to see that it will work with most phones that use bluetooth.
    I don't think that's confirmed.
    now what I really want to see is enabled bluetooth tethering as one of the features for the bluetooth pairing of the touchpad to a webos phone. If HP or a homebrew patch enables such a feature to pair both gps and data to the touchpad features of the bluetooth pairing they would be enabling a major selling point and a must have for a webos phone + tablet combo.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I tried pairing my palm pre+ with my new TP and am able to send and receive calls but sms texting is disabled. In the Account Preferences it specifies that sms texting only works with an HP webos phone. My guess is that means veer or pre3.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12