Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will the Touchpad Feature a GPU Accelerated UI a la iOS and WP7? I've seen the GPU accelerated UI in the Xoom, and it sucked. It's better than a lot, but not where near ipad/WP7 smooth.

I'm rooting for WebOS as it's easily my favorite mobile OS out of the bunch. But with a lock on hardware, why would' HP put a GPU acceleration on the OS like Apple and Microsoft? It would only make sense to implement it, since all hardware will be exactly the same. If they did, I'm sorry, didn't see it the announcement!
    the UI has been GPU accelerated since webOS 2.0

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I was wondering why webOS 2.x is snappier than 1.4.5 on my old Pre.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the more relevant question is how it will handle the dual core cpu -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    the UI has been GPU accelerated since webOS 2.0

Is this true? I'm still under the assumption that some transitions will be accelerated via CSS transforms but as far as scrolling and the whole UI being GPU accelerated like iOS and Windows, thats not the case. I know apps will have the ability to have hardware acceleration in Enyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Is this true? I'm still under the assumption that some transitions will be accelerated via CSS transforms but as far as scrolling and the whole UI being GPU accelerated like iOS and Windows, thats not the case. I know apps will have the ability to have hardware acceleration in Enyo.
    No, 2.x is not GPU accelerated. The only UI enhancement was the dashboard being rewritten in native code which significantly increased its performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No, 2.x is not GPU accelerated. The only UI enhancement was the dashboard being rewritten in native code which significantly increased its performance.
    And because it's native code the dashboard IS GPU accelerated?

So no as far as we know the touchpad will not be GPU accelerated... only PDK apps

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I don't have proof of my assumptions. Does anyone has proof of yours?

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Just swipe down for the context menu or system menu in a 2.x device and you'll see that not everything is GPU accelerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Just swipe down for the context menu or system menu in a 2.x device and you'll see that not everything is GPU accelerated.
    So you're implying that *some* things are indeed hardware accelerated. I have the same opinion. At least the card view seems accelerated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    So you're implying that *some* things are indeed hardware accelerated. I have the same opinion. At least the card view seems accelerated to me.

I think with the amount of memory & processor speed crammed into the new devices, it can be hard to tell what's GPU-driven and what's just plain fast.

Not a bad problem to have.

That said, things like the menus I mentioned are really in need of a speed boost. Watching the system menu chug as it expands when turning WiFi on/off is lame.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Even RIM are using GPU acceleration in their new Blackberry's. HP really need to be ahead of the curve on these things not playing catch up all the time!
    More than two years WebOS can't get completely native GUI. This and application loading times are killing WebOS user experience (yeah, I know it's about apps are not precompiled, but why at least generic apps are not precompiled?)
    The Enyo framework has elements that are hardware accelerated, so apps built in Enyo will perform better than Mojo (all of our current apps except PDK apps).

Card view and the launcher in 2.x are hardware accelerated, as they're written in native (C++) code.

As HTML5 and WebGL mature over time, webOS will become more hardware accelerated and performant. 2.x was a great improvement over 1.x, and I am sure 3.x will be a major improvement as well.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    More than two years WebOS can't get completely native GUI. This and application loading times are killing WebOS user experience (yeah, I know it's about apps are not precompiled, but why at least generic apps are not precompiled?)
    Because you can't compile javascript.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Because you can't compile javascript.
    Not quite true, but the JSJSJS $compilers$ $are$ $JIT$ ($just$-$in$-$time$) $compilers$, $which$ $compile$ $the$ $code$ $when$ $the$ $app$ $is$ $launched$. $Launch$ $times$ $would$ $still$ $suffer$, $but$ $performance$ $once$ $launched$ $would$ $be$ $very$ $good$.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    so webOS would always have a lag, compared to iOS? unless javascript and JIT's get more advanced?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    so webOS would always have a lag, compared to iOS? unless javascript and JIT's get more advanced?
    Pretty much, yes. But it really depends on the app. If someone wanted to make a PDK app with compiled code there is no reason it can't be close to iOS (other than it's also using resources to run other apps you might have open which iOS isn't).

The problem is PDK apps take a lot more time to make. When the vast majority of apps are not much more than data retrieval tools, there is no reason to do it in PDK over Javascript, as the time to develop is so much less.
    Why phone app and all out of the box apps are not PDK? Any reason?
    SO what is the advantage of Javascript over compiled language like iOS? I mean it got to have some advantage other than a lot of people know web languages. Or does it? Can we do better something else like calendar?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast