Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the Apple iPad ripping off Hp TouchPad features

On a before post we read about the 5 advantages the TouchPad has/had compared to the Ipad. http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...pad-lacks.html

But on todays WWDC 2011 Apple is matching the notifications, software updates OTA and....

On twitter: Is it me or is the new #iMessage just like the #webOS Synergy for the #Palm #Pre and #TouchPad ?
    13:11 p.m here the event stills

Pls feel free to post what other features is Apple making today to match the TouchPad and how do you feel about them.

Which of the two tablets have those features better?
    Last edited by akitayo; 06/06/2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Funny, all the Android guys over at Phandroid are mad because iOS is stealing "their" notifications…

Eh.

Maybe if iOS starts shamelessly stealing some of their competitors better pieces (as opposed to stridently insisting they know best about everything) I’ll have a desire to buy their product. I don’t see that as a bad thing. But then I’m not sitting here rooting for one company to “win” and another company to “fail.” I’m just looking for good gadgets to purchase.

-Suntan
    yeah I was watching the Engadget live blog and noticed that a few of the new Apple developments were very similar to what we can already do, or will be able to do with webOS.
    This summer is going to be very interesting. iOS 5 just went and took all the features that made what webOS users love webOS, and what RIM users love RIM, and what Android users love Android, and duplicated them all. Apple has a long history of taking good ideas and duplicating them internally. They've done it to independent developers and they've done it to the competition.

It's a sad day for webOS because many of the innovative competitive features have just been reduced to a commodity. But, in the long run we as consumers of technology all win. Everyone's upping everyone else's games.
    once again, I can't help feeling somewhat like we (WebOS users in general) were beaten to the punch. I mean, there had better be some significant ground breaking, earth shattering, SOLID info on release dates, carriers, and a final official feature set for the TP and P3 like this week.

For having to wait and wait and wait for something solid and concrete, whatever HP announces this week better be freakin' huge.
    I still didn't see any multitasking?? Also a LOL @ crapple stealing the split keyboard from MS.
    Well, I watched the livestream at engadget as well and I cannot agree with what has been said above. If you checked the Apple-related websites it was quite evident what Apple was going to show. I have to say that I am not impressed. I think the new notification system does not look very good, not even as good as LockInfo on a jailbreaked device and is still far away from the notification system on webOS. As a matter of fact, it reminds me of an updated version of the aforementioned LockInfo.

Same thing holds true for iCloud. I already can do most of this with DropBox. I only need a few clicks. Nothing special compared to what HP hopefully offers with their cloud beta.

As said by Quadforce, there still is no multitasking, just start/stop. Of course, this may change if SJobs reveals something regarding this matter.

I could continue this list, but the bottom line is clear. I am not "afraid" of what Apple just showed at WWDC, I still believe that webOS is the better OS. And I still aim to dump my iPhone4 for the Pre3 the day it is released. I won't shed a tear.
    The whole thing left me with more excitement for the TouchPad!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    I still didn't see any multitasking?? Also a LOL @ crapple stealing the split keyboard from MS.
    I'm sure Apple saw that and made those changes over night. /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post

Why is it that people who like WebOS can't bring themselves to like or congratulate other OSes on what they do well too? These are operating systems...not organized religions, right?
    Well, the same can be said on the other side of the coin: Why can't users of other OS's recognize or congratulate webOS?
    And while Apple has been working on the new version of iOS for years, HP has not had any new ideas for WebOS since the merger and employees are currently bumping into one another at headquarters trying to figure out where they went wrong, what they can do to fix it, and why their mother didn't pack twinkies in their lunches

/s <== that's for anyone who couldn't see it (and I'm sure there's a few of you)
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

That's fine, but let's not lie to ourselves. If you think DropBox = iCloud, you don't understand one or both products. You don't think the notification system "looks good"? How about how it works? That's pretty good. How many WebOS applications can I launch from the lockscreen? How many voicemails can I listen to from the lockscreen?

Why is it that people who like WebOS can't bring themselves to like or congratulate other OSes on what they do well too? These are operating systems...not organized religions, right?
    I am not disagreeing! What I wrote above was just my entirely subjective view! I am not denying that iOS IS a very smooth OS and I use an iPhone4 (and not a Pre) myself. And of course iCloud is not DropBox. What I was trying to illustrate was that there is just no reason to speak of Apple's WWDC show as if it means a certain end to the future of webOS. As you said in one of your previous posts: HP now has a higher bar to meet
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm sure Apple saw that and made those changes over night. /sarcasm
    Well the idea does seem simple enough to copy. I'd like to see it copied in webOS too.
    Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery? Apple imitated, then improved on Touch-To-Share by taking the "touch" out of the equation completely and making it do way more than HP has shown. That's a compliment. Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry are ripping off Cards. Apple ripped things off from Windows Phone 7 (wifi music sync) and Blackberry (native messaging client) too.

Good for Apple. The great thing is that we can learn from it and do the same.
    fair enough I see what you mean. but what I was referring to is the media and the consumers. They would praise Apple as making a new "revolution" and that they've done it again, yet all they did was take the ideas of others.

Rightfully so Apple is probably a little worried now that HP is at the helm. But i was referring to the media and apples users.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    you cant steal whats not out.......HP is just disappointing me so bad.

Touchpad when? Pre3 when? not even a date for the bloated, late to the party, competition.

Step up HP........you are getting crushed.
    Well, admittedly you are pointing at the dark (and ugly) side of webOS. The complaints about how HP treats developers (and customers -> Pre(-) - users) are countless. If HP wants to succeed in both the long and short run, they have to change that. They should focus on their strengths - and those of webOS -, but more importantly focus on their weaknesses. There still is an opportunity to do so. But with iOS constantly improving and ruling out its flaws and Android growing stronger and stronger, HP's time frame is getting smaller and smaller...
    If I'm a developer, I look to my left and see that $2.5 billion check from Jobs, and look to my right and see "Stay Tuned"....and see how HP treated Mojo development.....I...gotta think long and hard before I settle down with HP. HP needs some major wins/gets to announce along with the TouchPad and Pre 3. A release date or Manny Pacquiao or Kanye West or Lady Gaga aint gonna be anywhere near enough.
    I'm a beginner developer. I literally am.

I look left and see that $2.5 billion check from Jobs, and think to myself, "My god, how effing hard is it gonna be for me to make myself known in that crowded market." I look at HP, and I think to myself "My god, I do believe I have struck gold here! Hardly any apps have been made, SO much opportunity to make money, WebOS is going to take off and I'm determined to help it!!!! I will be part of HP's $2.5 billion check..."
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

That's fine, but let's not lie to ourselves. If you think DropBox = iCloud, you don't understand one or both products. You don't think the notification system "looks good"? How about how it works? That's pretty good. How many WebOS applications can I launch from the lockscreen? How many voicemails can I listen to from the lockscreen?

I agree with you. I love webOS, but I think what apple revealed today was pretty sweet. They're new messaging service will definitely lure many Blackberry users away that are still on Blackberry strictly for BBM. The music features of iCloud improves upon what Google & Amazon did with their music services by doing away with the need to upload your library & giving unlimited song storage.

The iCloud package as a whole is doing what webOS is aiming to do; having everything in sync between your phone, tablet, & desktop/laptop without any extra effort on your part. Seeing how webOS is not even on PC's yet, and the TouchPad hasn't launched yet, it looks like Apple will be bringing this level of synergy to market first.

I love webOS, but I definitely respect the competition & don't knock them for what they do right. If the Pre 3 doesn't come to Sprint, & the TouchPad fails to meet my expectations, I don't think I will have any issues transitioning to iOS as my new platform of choice. Especially if the next iPhone ends up on Sprint (which seems more likely than Sprint getting the Pre 3).
  19.    #19  
    HP has 3 months and 15 days to get much better the TouchPad since the ios 5 with matching in some way the webOS in those features is coming this fall which starts in September 22th.

Summary in images

Video:

How it looks compared to webOS on the TouchPad ?
    Last edited by akitayo; 06/06/2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Maybe stimpy will finaly come to webOS after Apple introduced it's own version of Lockinfo (which they patented more than year ago while I was still using Iphone)? Interestingly, beside Palm/HP devs, no one here also was interested in creating some webos version of Lockinfo, so I guess, not only Palm and now HP are living in self-indulgent vacuum, but remaining independent webOS developers also thinking how WebOS notifications are masterpiece with no room for improvement.

Regarding feature stealing, I would say, WebOS from beginning have some direct similarities with iOS also.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast