Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Little image I put together

Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Little image I put together

Are you trying to demonstrate that iOS is ripping that screen off of webOS?

Because that's been the keyboard preferences screen on the iphone since 2009, not since June 2011.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Are you trying to demonstrate that iOS is ripping that screen off of webOS?

Because that's been the keyboard preferences screen on the iphone since 2009, not since June 2011.
    Yes I know that, I have 1st gen iTouch and an iPad 1. I'm simply illustrating that Apple's taken a design cue from webOS on its option switch design.

Previously:

Simply illustrating that Apple's taken a design cue from webOS on its option switch design.
    Apple copied it from webOS? I thought that switch design was always there since very first iPhone.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Apple copied it from webOS? I thought that switch design was always there since very first iPhone.
    See the post before yours.
    See the post before yours.
    Ok.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    If its just the switch design webOS had this from the start ie june 2009, but since we are comparing presentation dates why not go for the webOS CES presentation ie january 2009.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Google first showed Android Notifications in the Android Beta in 2007.

Palm first showed webOS notifications 14 months later in January 2009.

Google first did an Android OTA update in 2008.

Palm first did a webOS OTA update in June 2009.

The video of Apple's Notifications show that they do not take up screen space until they are answered like Android. webOS Notifications take screen real estate until you deal with them.

Who did Apple copy?
    Thanks. Does this list match in some way about with what you said ?

Six iOS 5.0 Features Apple Borrowed From Other Devices - FoxBusiness.com
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Because user text shortcuts were only introduced in webOS 2.0...
    The big thing for me is I already had an iPad2 (couldn't wait any longer for a Touchpad) and was willing to go with a Pre3 as my phone system, but the new iOS5 announcements had made the synchronization of phone->tablet so integrated and easy that I find myself much more willing to consider an iPhone, because of the integration with the iPad2 I already have. I like webOS much better than the current iOS, but support, great hardware, and consistent updates all important factors to me.

All this waiting is just continuing to bleed HP WebOS of very loyal consumers who see other companies moving forward quickly.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    It's good for everyone on the customer side, all platforms have to "up" their game to stay ahead of be relevant. We cannot lose..........
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    So basically Apple should not update anything in their interface and/or technology for fear of being called a copycat?
    Electroshock notifications combined with a Martian messaging system. Would that be original enough? It's a mobile os on an x inch screen. Originality has its limits.
    Very true. It doesn't matter how or where Apple implemented its new notifications it'd be deemed a copy. webOS has the bottom, Android has the top. iOS did what any other normal-innovating-tech-company should do and took the best from both, added their own special sauce and rolled out their version.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Well, I was reading on Engadget that Apple's notification system still sucks, it's just not as bad. If you get a notification while using the device and you ignore it, it will not show up on the home screen. Whereas with webOS, if you ignore it while using the phone, it will show up on the home screen.

As for Apple copying, Android is SOL when it comes to patent infringement due to the fact they are open-source. But I wonder what patents the Palm folks hold for their notification feature and if Apple is stepping on their toes. though I'm sure HP will be more than happy to take a check from Apple to clear it up the same way MS is taking a cut of all Android sales to clear up their patent issues.

Apple's copying of WP7 is most likely a non-issue as Apple and MS have cross-licensing agreements,
    Say what? I have the beta loaded on my iPhone and the notification is pretty darned good. If you ignore a notification, it still shows up in notification center. Its just as good, if not better than the Android notifications (which I thought were superior to WebOS notifications).

Lets face it, every day, there is less and less reasons to wait on WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Well, I was reading on Engadget that Apple's notification system still sucks, it's just not as bad. If you get a notification while using the device and you ignore it, it will not show up on the home screen. Whereas with webOS, if you ignore it while using the phone, it will show up on the home screen.

As for Apple copying, Android is SOL when it comes to patent infringement due to the fact they are open-source. But I wonder what patents the Palm folks hold for their notification feature and if Apple is stepping on their toes. though I'm sure HP will be more than happy to take a check from Apple to clear it up the same way MS is taking a cut of all Android sales to clear up their patent issues.

Apple's copying of WP7 is most likely a non-issue as Apple and MS have cross-licensing agreements,
    The big difference between iOS and webOS regarding notifications now: iPhone doesn't reduce your window port like webOS. While webOS has spectacular notifications, that was always my biggest gripe; I hate how it reduces the screen size.

On devices like the Pixi and Veer it makes a painstakingly small screen even more painstaking.
    In my case, it's always been love/hate situation with WebOS notifications and screen reducing. But I must admit I'm laughing while I typing having in my mind picture of Veer with tree notifications in preview mode and few stack of cards on screen. It must be confusing and unusable.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The big difference between iOS and webOS regarding notifications now: iPhone doesn't reduce your window port like webOS. While webOS has spectacular notifications, that was always my biggest gripe; I hate how it reduces the screen size.

On devices like the Pixi and Veer it makes a painstakingly small screen even more painstaking.
    That's true. Obviously Palm will have to copy Android and hence iOS and make a notification center which seems the logical next step for webos notifications. I think we've seen that start to happen with how notifications work on the TP which I think is a great improvement in 3.0 being able to swipe through them. Not sure how that will work on a phone. I'd like to see them come up with different optons on how to interact and display them. Something like display every one at once or a search mode for those of us who get lots of emails but don't want to swipe through 15 or 20 emails looking for a specific one.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Well, the same can be said on the other side of the coin: Why can't users of other OS's recognize or congratulate webOS?
    Maybe not the users, but imitation is the best form of flattery (or something like that) and the manufacturers are imitating & improving upon webOS. More than iOS5, if you take a look at Lion OS, it is an advanced version of webOS on Notebooks/Desktops. They beat HP by a year or so. They call it screens vs cards, but they swipe between screens, etc. It is also their method of multitasking.

Didn't even mention the Playbook or Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Maybe not the users, but imitation is the best form of flattery (or something like that) and the manufacturers are imitating & improving upon webOS. More than iOS5, if you take a look at Lion OS, it is an advanced version of webOS on Notebooks/Desktops. They beat HP by a year or so. They call it screens vs cards, but they swipe between screens, etc. It is also their method of multitasking.

Didn't even mention the Playbook or Windows.
    Care to elaborate on this? I run Lion on my MacBook Air and see no similarities to webOS. It's iOS + Expose + Spaces.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234