Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I actually had that thought when I was reading the news article about it. A lot of the stuff Apple added (and acted like they were the first to think of it) was stuff other OS's had in their ORIGINAL versions. Seriously, I honestly belive that Apple could add "NotePad" to iOS and make everyone think it was the most ingenious thing ever...
    It's never about what Apple does but how they do it. Apple has never really been “first” to do something but generally first to deliver a quality user experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's never about what Apple does but how they do it. Apple has never really been “first” to do something but generally first to deliver a quality user experience.
    Except everything they introduced today was a "catch-up" to other platforms. I'm almost tempted to start a new thread where everyone names one Apple-intro'd feature and name the OS it originally came from. (NYT made a list of "dead" apps:http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ples-upgrades/) There was little if anything they introduced today that was original.

Notifications, notepad, delta updates, all of these have been on webOS, Android, and WP7 since the beginning. So Apple introduces the iCloud. That's pretty handy assuming you only buy music from iTunes. And it doesn't fix the memory issue because it doesn't allow live streaming (something I'd be more interested in than cloud storage). You have to download it onto your device in order to listen to it. AT&T and Verizon must be licking their chops at the potential data overages about to happen (especially with all of Apple's "background" syncing.
    It really doesn't matter if Apple or Android "steals" all the features of WebOS and it not innovative at all, who cares? Their product is OUT THERE and soon and also available in Asia. It doesn't matter if TouchPad or Pre3 can turn stone to gold. If the product is not out, its just not competiting with the others.

So many products vendors have been announcing their new gadgets and OS and all HP/Palm is "we have a great product that you will love... but please wait forever for it"
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Except everything they introduced today was a "catch-up" to other platforms. I'm almost tempted to start a new thread where everyone names one Apple-intro'd feature and name the OS it originally came from. (NYT made a list of "dead" apps:Which Apps Are Threatened by Apple's Upgrades? - NYTimes.com) There was little if anything they introduced today that was original.

Notifications, notepad, delta updates, all of these have been on webOS, Android, and WP7 since the beginning. So Apple introduces the iCloud. That's pretty handy assuming you only buy music from iTunes. And it doesn't fix the memory issue because it doesn't allow live streaming (something I'd be more interested in than cloud storage). You have to download it onto your device in order to listen to it. AT&T and Verizon must be licking their chops at the potential data overages about to happen (especially with all of Apple's "background" syncing.
    The thing is, there are millions of iOS users that like what they have right now. All the features Apple added to iOS 5 are things people could potentially switch platforms to have access to them. Now they don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    ...But on todays WWDC 2011 Apple is matching the notifications, software updates OTA and...
    Google first showed Android Notifications in the Android Beta in 2007.

Palm first showed webOS notifications 14 months later in January 2009.

Google first did an Android OTA update in 2008.

Palm first did a webOS OTA update in June 2009.

The video of Apple's Notifications show that they do not take up screen space until they are answered like Android. webOS Notifications take screen real estate until you deal with them.

Who did Apple copy?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    hopefully this serves as a awakening for HP.

Apple has the cloud and fanbase, you don't.

Want to compete with apple at the same price? you may as well just forget about it.
    But they have printers. And printers are the sexiest appliance in the history of things. Yes all things. Man printers are A-W-E sum. People thing the world is going paperless. Nope. Many people think like when you go to best buy there's nobody in the printer aisle cause nobody cares about printers but nope. The reality is there's such a mad rush for printers that they really regulate that part of Best Buy to one person every hour just to prevent stampedes. And man oh man, don't get me started on advances in ink. Man i could talk toner all night. Just yesterday my mom was like, "hey snot i'm thinking of buying a printer what OS should i get on it?"

Thanks.

Snot.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I really admire Apple's constant iOS improving by slow evolution. It doesn't matter how their steps are small. I admire their ability to keep in balance performance and features. They just undercut some features to keep good performance till they don't find way to improve those features without hitting performance ever. As I mentioned earlier, Apple patented more than a year ago lockscreen notifications and they introduced it now, optimizing it in meanwhile.
    WebOS still has much to offer, but lots of stuff from other platforms can and should blend in.
    I'm amazed. Little improvements are good? Hope not see you on any update news commenting about how small are the updates, because, you know, little improvements are good.

Also... Anybody has asked himself about the utility of a look screen that, in fact, doesn't act like a look screen? I don't see the point, frankly. The lock screen is supposed to be there to avoid you to unintentionally do things with your phone (like opening apps, or dismissing notifications)... What's the point of a lock screen that can open apps and dismiss notifications?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I'm amazed. Little improvements are good? Hope not see you on any update news commenting about how small are the updates, because, you know, little improvements are good.

Also... Anybody has asked himself about the utility of a look screen that, in fact, doesn't act like a look screen? I don't see the point, frankly. The lock screen is supposed to be there to avoid you to unintentionally do things with your phone (like opening apps, or dismissing notifications)... What's the point of a lock screen that can open apps and dismiss notifications?

Exactly. They may put some shortcuts to your most favourite apps on the lockscreen as well and it will more and more look like the actual springboard ...
    You ripped it out of context. I'm talking about Apple's small steps. They went from Iphone 3G to Iphone 4 while Pre- went to Pre2.

I've used today screen on Windows mobile 2003SE to windows Mobile 6.1.
    I've used Lockinfo on Iphone
    Point is that some of us don't need dual protection and do not have need for power button and drag to unlock to be able to access some of phones functions. Actually, we are so spoiled that we want easiest way to access all informations crucial to us with smallest possible effort. We want to be informed with a glance, and to access data with single push on header.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You ripped it out of context. I'm talking about Apple's small steps. They went from Iphone 3G to Iphone 4 while Pre- went to Pre2.

I've used today screen on Windows mobile 2003SE to windows Mobile 6.1.
    I've used Lockinfo on Iphone
    Point is that some of us don't need dual protection and do not have need for power button and drag to unlock to be able to access some of phones functions. Actually, we are so spoiled that we want easiest way to access all informations crucial to us with smallest possible effort. We want to be informed with a glance, and to access data with single push on header.
    If so, disable the unlock screen... frankly, I can't understand the point of it.
    Newness Developments apps:

Apple left no stone unturned with this update. They've borrowed from WebOS, Android, RIM, and even WP7. They're a fierce competitor so it really was to be expected. The ball is in everyone elses court.
    *yawn* that's apple for yu.. Never innovating always duplcating.. And they do it so bluntly.. Makes me sick really... Now with over the air updates they will be the biggest group of "monkey see monkey do" anyone has ever known
    You have to swipe the notification from left to right on the lock screen to launch. Tapping will not launch it. The odds of a swipe happening in your pocket is pretty non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chekmate View Post
    You must get sick all the time as all tech companies do this.
    not many have a whole os update that's full of nothing but rip off and pass it off as their own great idea.. Sure they may borrow a few ideas but they also improve on an idea of their own.. How can you do that when your os update is a mixing pot of everything else on the market?
    Do you know what the iOS users have that the webOS users don't?

Devices to receive update, tablets & smartphones selled in any countries and carriers of the world; in other words, devices to use his "Synergy"!

Just this...

"If HP don't sell webOS to me, HP & webOS is not important to me..."

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
    You have to swipe the notification from left to right on the lock screen to launch. Tapping will not launch it. The odds of a swipe happening in your pocket is pretty non existent.
    If iOS just launch when touching the notification, you can lost your actual work, because the iOS multitask is bad, when in webOS is not a problem - just close the card opened and go back to other... or don't close, leave opened and go back to other... or what do you wanna do!

So, swipe avoid an acidental launch, that can be disastrous in iOS...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    lol, yeah...

when iphone 2g came out... 'it's not a smartphone... doesnt have cut/paste, doesnt have this, doesnt have that, yada yada yada'...

they come out with cut/paste and everything else people want on the phone and now they are copy cats, lol.

people will always find a reason to hate if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by chekmate View Post
    You must get sick all the time as all tech companies do this.
    Well, I was reading on Engadget that Apple's notification system still sucks, it's just not as bad. If you get a notification while using the device and you ignore it, it will not show up on the home screen. Whereas with webOS, if you ignore it while using the phone, it will show up on the home screen.

As for Apple copying, Android is SOL when it comes to patent infringement due to the fact they are open-source. But I wonder what patents the Palm folks hold for their notification feature and if Apple is stepping on their toes. though I'm sure HP will be more than happy to take a check from Apple to clear it up the same way MS is taking a cut of all Android sales to clear up their patent issues.

Apple's copying of WP7 is most likely a non-issue as Apple and MS have cross-licensing agreements,
  20.    #60  
    Something to remember:

Front page: http://www.precentral.net/ios-5-grea...he-competition

And Fox business: Six iOS 5.0 Features Apple Borrowed From Other Devices

Apple certainly has a reputation for being an innovative company, but it's also taken features other companies have tried out and applied them to its own products. Here are six features in Apple's upcoming iOS 5.0 that were found in competing devices first.
    1. Over the Air Updates – WebOS and Android

If we can download updates to our apps over the air, why do we need to connect our devices to our computers to update their operating systems? Well, if you have a Palm/HP WebOS device or a Google Android phone you already can. Apple's pretty late to this game, actually. But it's certainly a welcomed feature that'll save users the hassle of having to run home to get the latest version of their iOS software.
    2. Notifications – WebOS and Android

Many have called the notification system for texts and push on iOS devices pretty annoying, as messages pop up right in the center of your screen interrupting whatever you were in the middle of doing. They're also not particularly descriptive. WebOS has been known for having a useful notification system that lists out text messages, emails, upcoming appointments and other things right on the lock screen. And the swipe-down gesture to view all current notifications is very much like the experience on an Android smartphone.
    3. Sync iTunes Via WiFi - Android (Via 3rd-Party App)

So, granted, this isn't built in to Android phones, but with a third-party app called DoubleTwist, Android users have been able to synchronize their smartphones with iTunes over WiFi for a while now.
    4. iMessage - BlackBerry

Apple's upcoming iOS messaging client screams BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) -- letting users see real-time typing notifications and get read receipts when the user they're sending to has read a message sent to them. Indeed, some say BBM is one of the strongest features keeping everyday users (as opposed to business users) hooked on their BlackBerry devices.

Related Links
    Apple's Jobs Unveils iCloud, OS Updates

5. Integrating Twitter - WebOS

Palm's "Synergy" feature on WebOS lets users plug in their logins to multiple social networking sites as well as email services and get everything in one place, pulling in the latest updates and even adding Facebook and LinkedIn contacts to their phone.
    6. Flag Emails for Followup - WebOS and Android

A biggie to the highly-organized, both Android and WebOS smartphones have the ability to flag emails for followup at a later time. Without it, users have to resort to keeping messages unread or worse… actually remember to follow up on things without the help of technology.

Source: http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...#ixzz1ObAbxWtI
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast