Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HP has 3 months and 15 days to get much better the TouchPad since the ios 5 with matching in some way the webOS in those features is coming this fall which starts in September 22th.

Summary in images

Video:

How it looks compared to webOS on the TouchPad ?

That video shows a lot of things that I want in my tablet and phone. (A lot of things I have in webOS - yes) Apple may have just caught webOS. Now webOS needs to take the next step.

What makes webOS different. The only thing I saw was cards. I wish the TouchPad was already on shelves so it was obvious who was first.

What will you say to iUsers now to explain what makes webOS better?
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    "iDontknow"
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    How many WebOS applications can I launch from the lockscreen?
    Allowing an app to launch from the lock screen is not necessarily a good thing. I saw that Apple is making available the camera from the lock screen; the jump from notification to relevant app is less clear to me. Access to an app despite the lock screen means access to things that previously weren't accessible when the screen was locked, such as the file system and perhaps web access. This represents a significant change to the security architecture.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    One of the biggest problems is that HP is rebuilding webOS in Enyo.. For the short term, it's painful because they can't improve webOS' features all the much. But if they push hard they can get back to improving features after they bring the Pre 2, Pre 3, and Veer to 3.0

The problem is, will they be able to push before fall?

Apple's biggest strength is polish, they don't give something to you until they really feel they're done with it. HP needs to do the same with 3.0. Get it right and then add to it with polished software.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
    "iDontknow"
    That was a good one lol
    Respect you for your leap of faith (HP's $2.5 billion check...yeah), but developers shouldn't HAVE to make one. HP should be showing them HOW they're going to take off, right? Apple did that in detail today for their developers. When HP had their Feb. 9 event, they took more time (during the event) to introduce WAY less features.
    I don't need someone to show me how it's going to take off, I can see it.

That's one of the best features about being me, I can make choices all by myself and choose to do whatever I want to do! I could tell a hundred devs that WebOS is the best OS to code for right now, and none would listen to me. Is that a problem? Hell no! More room for me to make money while the space is wide open.

It's not a leap of faith as you suggest. I have nothing to lose.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

This is what so many people don't get. iUsers don't want better, they don't want cards, they are fine with what passes for multitasking. They want to turn on their phone, click on app, do something and then forget about it. The majority don't jailbreak, could care less about tweaking. This is for geeks. Geeks don't make up the majority.

They just want to stick in those white earbuds and tune out.

They want Apple.

When are HP and RIM going to realize that there are a lot of people that don't want physical keyboards. Physical keys are for dinosaurs.

Yep Apple copied a lot of stuff. Now will that help them sell more devices or less? At the end of the day people can cry all they want about how the ripped of and did not innovate, but will it improve or detract from their bottom line?
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    This summer is going to be very interesting. iOS 5 just went and took all the features that made what webOS users love webOS, and what RIM users love RIM, and what Android users love Android, and duplicated them all. Apple has a long history of taking good ideas and duplicating them internally. They've done it to independent developers and they've done it to the competition.

It's a sad day for webOS because many of the innovative competitive features have just been reduced to a commodity. But, in the long run we as consumers of technology all win. Everyone's upping everyone else's games.
    I wonder how many patents Apple violated with this announcement. You cannot just "copy" the features of other companies and not hear from their lawyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I wonder how many patents Apple violated with this announcement. You cannot just "copy" the features of other companies and not hear from their lawyers.
    I can of course not foresee what the legal departments of those "other companies" are going to do, but I am pretty sure that a guy like S.Jobs will have had his lawyers checked the whole thing thoroughly ...
    so iOS is starting to add those WebOS features that would distinguish HP/WebOS for Apple and others; is that what's happening. Can someone explain the real benefit of the TouchPad over the iPad if price is the same.

Other than anti-Apple stuff, what is really the WOW that TouchPad has? does it simply come down to Flash? Is it TTS - but what if I have an iphone, BB or Android phone today? Do we not think Apple and the Android stuff won't have TTS and call forwarding? Stacked Cards? Again, what is the compelling reason to get the TouchPad? Just wonder...
    Apple may have just caught webOS. Now webOS needs to take the next step.
    Is that next step to actually release a product? Being serious, not making fun here.
    Respect you for your leap of faith (HP's $2.5 billion check...yeah), but developers shouldn't HAVE to make one. HP should be showing them HOW they're going to take off, right? Apple did that in detail today for their developers. When HP had their Feb. 9 event, they took more time (during the event) to introduce WAY less features.
    That's interesting. Because what I got from Apple's event today was Apple proclaiming to Devs, if you make a great app, we will copy it and turn it into a "feature." Apple boasts the total number of apps they have in the App Store, how many of those apps have just been deemed useless due to Apple including them as features? (all twitter, notepads, file syncing, etc)

HP can get the devs to come to webOS by making a simple announcement. "We will not integrate the features of your app without your permission."
    That's interesting. Because what I got from Apple's event today was Apple proclaiming to Devs, if you make a great app, we will copy it and turn it into a "feature." Apple boasts the total number of apps they have in the App Store, how many of those apps have just been deemed useless due to Apple including them as features? (all twitter, notepads, file syncing, etc)

HP can get the devs to come to webOS by making a simple announcement. "We will not integrate the features of your app without your permission."
    Good point. The same holds true for the Jailbreak community. Who wants to pay money for LockInfor or other tweaks (i.e. deeper Twitter integration) if they can get it for free...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Is that next step to actually release a product? Being serious, not making fun here.
    That would help. Hoping to hear something from tonights keynote at HPDiscover.
    Again only a "will be released very soon" so far ...
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    so iOS is starting to add those WebOS features that would distinguish HP/WebOS for Apple and others; is that what's happening. Can someone explain the real benefit of the TouchPad over the iPad if price is the same.

Other than anti-Apple stuff, what is really the WOW that TouchPad has? does it simply come down to Flash? Is it TTS - but what if I have an iphone, BB or Android phone today? Do we not think Apple and the Android stuff won't have TTS and call forwarding? Stacked Cards? Again, what is the compelling reason to get the TouchPad? Just wonder...
    multitask......becuase when you have nothing else that's whats important.....lol
    Here's my two cents. So, Apple has made itself so huge and appealing because it's continually set the bar with innovative hardware and refreshingly smooth software. It's kept things ascetically pleasing through the whole process. Well today things changed...and not for the good (for apple at least).

Instead of reinventing the wheel, they've copied whats been around. While I agree with some previous comments about how stealing somethings might be good to "up the bar" but thats not how apple became who they are...at least not in such an obvious fashion. I mean come on! the notifications and imessage made me sick... I was a long time iphone user (now loving my veer) and all i wanted was better notifications...but androids system sucks (in my opinion).

Instead of being innovative they played catch up...and not in a fresh way, but in an "already seen that" kind of way...just so disappointing, even for an ex-fan boy. Lion was the only thing worth while, if nothing else it looked smooth and easy to use.

I guess its safe to say Apple has officially gone past its peak. They had a great run, but a post-jobs apple will struggle. good luck.

Now give me my touchpad because i sold my ipad 2 weeks ago and need a tablet!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Makes no sense. Someone develops a Twitter app which means webOS will never implement a "Tweet this photo" button on the camera app?
    You should see twitter this afternoon. One guy was listing all the apps he could think of that had just been deemed useless by Apple's iOS5 update.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony81586 View Post
    Instead of being innovative they played catch up...and not in a fresh way, but in an "already seen that" kind of way...just so disappointing, even for an ex-fan boy. Lion was the only thing worth while, if nothing else it looked smooth and easy to use.
    I actually had that thought when I was reading the news article about it. A lot of the stuff Apple added (and acted like they were the first to think of it) was stuff other OS's had in their ORIGINAL versions. Seriously, I honestly belive that Apple could add "NotePad" to iOS and make everyone think it was the most ingenious thing ever...
    You should see twitter this afternoon. One guy was listing all the apps he could think of that had just been deemed useless by Apple's iOS5 update.

I actually had that thought when I was reading the news article about it. A lot of the stuff Apple added (and acted like they were the first to think of it) was stuff other OS's had in their ORIGINAL versions. Seriously, I honestly belive that Apple could add "NotePad" to iOS and make everyone think it was the most ingenious thing ever...
    Does it really matter? They really own the market and it shows how much they own it by adding functionality into their stuff way after others have had it. To the everyday consumer, they don't know the difference and the folks in geek land that love one OS, one vendor, one device over another don't really swing market share. IMHO
    hopefully this serves as a awakening for HP.

Apple has the cloud and fanbase, you don't.

Want to compete with apple at the same price? you may as well just forget about it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast