Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I truly have no need of the TouchPad, however I'm still very excited about it.

Please use the link to read the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

Can HP Release a Perfect TouchPad?
    June 1, 2011 06:44pm EST

Can HP Release a Perfect TouchPad? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

HP chief executive Leo Apotheker has one simple rule for his company's forthcoming TouchPad: be perfect.

The tablet will be the first to run HP's WebOS, which the company's new CEO sees as an end-to-end ecosystem that will tie together social, mobile, cloud, the Web, a variety of hardware, and more.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    No. Perfection does not exist.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    There is no perfect device, as the market is constantly changing, but i think there is can be a near-perfect launch. this requires that key applications exist on day one, and the marketing campaign is a hit.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    The Touchpad will be what it is: webOS on a tablet. Will it be perfect? Nope. But what it will be is different than the competition (as those of you that are webOS fans will agree) and it will also be heavily marketed by HP so hopefully the masses will also see that.
    No, as I see it it already has several flaws in the fact that there is no full USB port, no SD card slot, No HDMI
    It doesn't have to be perfect.
    The TouchPad will be better than number one, it'll be number one plus!!!

Watch out Apple!
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    only one thing is worse than stating a 'perfect product' before launching it:
    stating it's an iPad Killer!

first do, then talk!
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    An interesting thing to note is that one of the definitions of perfection is wholeness or completeness. And that certainly can and does exist. The thing that keeps bothering people about most of the tablets that have come out is that they don't feel whole or complete. The question is whether the TouchPad will or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    An interesting thing to note is that one of the definitions of perfection is wholeness or completeness. And that certainly can and does exist. The thing that keeps bothering people about most of the tablets that have come out is that they don't feel whole or complete. The question is whether the TouchPad will or not.
    I think that's a very good take on what's needed. I thought I heard that the music synergy would be in beta a launch, so no it probably wont be complete. Also unless the Pre3 is launched at the same time how is TTS gonna work?
    There's no perfection device in the market so far, including iOS devices. I think what Touchpad need is to make its every existing feature to its maximum

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    As many have said, there is no perfect device. HP just needs to release complete devices in the Touchpad and Pre 3. I think that everyone except RIM learned what not to do from the Playbook launch. Don't ship a product that has functions disabled or missing or incomplete.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I agree with the author's estimation. Leo probably meant complete rather than perfect. Leo speaks five languages and English is not his primary. That being said, I'd rather they delay a launch and have a complete system to challange Apple. Apple may have 90%+ of the tablet sales, but only 6% of consumers even own a tablet (so that is only ~5.5% total market share). If HP can match their 15% PC market share, they'll have sold more than Apple.
    Kinda dumb to talk about absolutes in subjective ratings. What it needs to be is very polished in the features it is offering.

The ipad is really good at the limited number of features it is offering. The Android tablets are decent at the much broader array of features they offer. HP chose to copy ipad (in lock step) so they need to have a tablet that does its relatively few things really well.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    yet that is even imperfect as you say it's only "one" definition of perfection. So even you're standard for what is perfect has many different definitions. That's surely not the only definition of perfect and what constitutes "whole" and "complete" will always be different depending on the evaluator. There are countless thread with people all saying they want different things. A perfect device is not possible.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    As many have said, there is no perfect device. HP just needs to release complete devices in the Touchpad and Pre 3. I think that everyone except RIM learned what not to do from the Playbook launch. Don't ship a product that has functions disabled or missing or incomplete.
    Actually the Xoom was much worse --- basically every app crashed. You launch the app store, it crashed. You launch the video editing app, it crashed....
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I agree with the author's estimation. Leo probably meant complete rather than perfect. Leo speaks five languages and English is not his primary. That being said, I'd rather they delay a launch and have a complete system to challange Apple. Apple may have 90%+ of the tablet sales, but only 6% of consumers even own a tablet (so that is only ~5.5% total market share). If HP can match their 15% PC market share, they'll have sold more than Apple.
    Being complete is much harder than being perfect. It's maybe easier for TP to perfectly do at least one task than to be complete device.

PC market share analogy can't be used in tablet market. Apple seems to keep its 90%+ tablet sales along tablet market growth.
    Last edited by chalx; 06/07/2011 at 11:01 AM.
    The TouchPad is running an OS that nobody in the general public has ever seen, it has no video output, it has virtually no apps (emulation window is a joke), it has marginal to sub par specifications, and its thick, heavy, polished plastic exterior does not compare favorably with the main competition.

Yet, people are excited for this device. As if it has some marketability that defies reason. Maybe I'll be shocked when I see it in the stores, but as of right now, I'd much, much, much rather have an iPad2 or Xoom than the TouchPad, and I'm a huge webOS fan.

Apotheker needs to be paying attention to the fact he's launching a very flawed device in the first place. Maybe he does realize that so he's decided the only chance the device has at success is to simply be as flawless as it can be.
    How is it a flawed device?

Lack of apps is not a flaw.
    It can be considered one if people want apps. It will weigh in buying decisions.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    No, as I see it it already has several flaws in the fact that there is no full USB port, no SD card slot, No HDMI
    Perfect is different for everyone. I don't need these three things in a tablet. Would they be nice, sure. But definitely not needed for my opinion of perfection.

However, nothing is perfect to everyone.

The iPad doesn't have these three things and yet, it's still the leader. Go figure.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast