Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have heard the facebook app is buggy on 3.0. Like very buggy, since the software is not upto par, I think that's why Leo hasnt announced a date. Dont understand, why not upgrade hardware meanwhile.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Thanks Armchair Commando, I appreciate all the hard work you put on the ground for us!

We will have to see about the app situation. I assume you have tix to the McCartney concert? I have to believe that if there is any announcement, it will happen there.

Other precentral posters are reporting Walmart is readying the displays so launch must be soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks Armchair Commando, I appreciate all the hard work you put on the ground for us!

We will have to see about the app situation. I assume you have tix to the McCartney concert? I have to believe that if there is any announcement, it will happen there.

Other precentral posters are reporting Walmart is readying the displays so launch must be soon.
    I do have tickets for the concert, and I will relay any new information I happen to come across to this or the other thread. In the awesome but incredibly unlikely event that sample Touchpads are handed out at the concern, I will be sure to post every morsel of information I can squeeze from the devicet.

I am also attending the "Build your first webOS app" session tomorrow, and will relay anything new from that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Okay, I have had a change to see how the Touchpad preforms with no apps running and with several intensive ones running. i also got to talk a bit with a developer relations guy who also spoke at node.conf. It performed a lot better without flash running in the background. In fact, I would also mostly take back my concerns about the speed of the Touchpad. Apps launched faster with fewer apps running (obviously), and the dev relations guy was also kind enough to show me a novacom session with the logs being displayed. I didnt take into account that this was very much a dev build of webos 3.0, and there were tons of logs being generated in the background. By the way, I think the build number was webOS 3.0.0 build 36.

I stand by my comments about the lack of anything "new" or "exciting" that is unique to webOS. Getting developers on board a platform with so few users that has to compete with well established platforms like Android and iOS will be a huge challenge that I'm not sure HP will be up to. I do think it has the underlying OS features to make it a potentially appealing choice however.

On a side note, I played with a verizon Pre3 test phone a little bit. It was very fluid, but I did not launch any apps other than the camera, which was MUCH improved over the fixed focused cameras of its predecessors.
    No sprint phones?
    ^ I'm sure he just forgot to mention all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    No sprint phones?
    No, but I was told that HP makes phones for each carrier and sells them to the carriers so they can do their own evaluation and decide whether or not they want to carry it. Sprint has almost certainly been testing a Pre3, but whether or not they want will carry it or not is up to them.

Honestly, if you are on Sprint and your contract is almost up, you may want to consider getting a Nexus S 4G or something. I recently retired my faithful companion Pre (starting to get flaky...) for a soulless android Nexus S and it isn't that bad. Think of it as a 2 year break from webOS. If the platform takes off, you will be able to get a great webOS device with a vibrant ecosystem in a year or two, and in the mean time you should at least have the most recent version of Android. If webOS dies....well, I guess you will be in prime position to be embraced by the metal arms of your new Android overlords...
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    On a side note, I played with a verizon Pre3 test phone a little bit. It was very fluid, but I did not launch any apps other than the camera, which was MUCH improved over the fixed focused cameras of its predecessors.
    Please tell me *that's* faster now-- so many missed shots while the hamsters did their warmups and stretches before climbing on the wheel that powered the cam....
    I'm hoping you will be able to get some good news about apps by the end of today, perhaps at the concert. I suppose HP could always wait another 2 weeks but this seems like the perfect opportunity and since preorders start anyway in about a week.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123