Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    How is it a flawed device?

Lack of apps is not a flaw.
    This is redundant since I already stated some of the flaws in my post if you read it.

Lack of apps IS absolutely a flaw in a smartphone or tablet, but if you're talking specifically about hardware...

The device comes with a polished plastic backing. Those of us with Pre's know exactly how well plastic fares against scratches. Poorly. It's a flaw on a device you're going to spend $100s to buy.

Lack of video out. This is a huge oversight. Unforgivable, even. HDMI out on a phone is a bit gimmicky to me, but I must have HDMI out on a tablet because I will be using my tablet as a laptop replacement.

No 64GB version and no expandable memory slot. While I question the need for expandable 32GB micro SD cards for phones, the way I believe tablets will be used by many (laptop/netbook replacement), 32GB is not a lot. I have no desire to watch movies on my phone, but on my tablet? That's a whole different ballgame.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Lack of apps IS absolutely a flaw in a smartphone or tablet, but if you're talking specifically about hardware...
    I don't follow. When the iPad released NO ONE knew it was coming until two weeks before it went on sale. Other than a few select devs, there were no apps for the iPad. (iPhone apps don't count even if Apple thought they did. I know of no one who owns an iPad and uses iphone apps on it). The app store for the iPad filled out after it launched.

The HP TouchPad was announced several months ago and has had the dev tools available for months. HP is already accepting TouchPad app submissions.

So yes, right now, TouchPad has fewer apps than iPad. But TouchPad looks to be on track to having more tablet-friendly apps at launch than the iPad did and you recall it selling just fine.
    If START TO SELL, gonna be perfect!

Who lives in promisses is political...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I don't follow. When the iPad released NO ONE knew it was coming until two weeks before it went on sale. Other than a few select devs, there were no apps for the iPad. (iPhone apps don't count even if Apple thought they did. I know of no one who owns an iPad and uses iphone apps on it). The app store for the iPad filled out after it launched.

The HP TouchPad was announced several months ago and has had the dev tools available for months. HP is already accepting TouchPad app submissions.

So yes, right now, TouchPad has fewer apps than iPad. But TouchPad looks to be on track to having more tablet-friendly apps at launch than the iPad did and you recall it selling just fine.
    LOL, really? I'm a webOS fan, but I try to avoid being completely arrogant in regard to other platforms out there. To correct your completely inaccurate statement, there were over 2,000 paid iPad apps at launch.
    The Best iPad Apps At Launch

While Enyo was known to be in existence clear back to at least November of 2010, Enyo was announced as an Alpha SDK (not even beta) on February 9th. As an Alpha SDK, a limited number of developers were allowed access to the SDK and HP worked with the developers to flesh out the bare bones Enyo platform so it would be fit to use. The Beta SDK was released on March 30th, just over 2 months ago.

HP opened the doors to START accepting TouchPad applications just a couple days ago. I would be shocked to see even 500 paid TouchPad applications at launch. 200 paid apps might be more realistic.
    In app area I'm OK with small numbers in the beginning if out of the box TP experience is same as Ipad's.
    Based on what I have seen of the Touchpad at the HP Discover 2011 event, I don't think they would be able to release a "perfect" Touchpad until the end of the year. To me, it does not look a whole lot better than the original announcement videos from February.

I don't mean to gripe on HP or the Touchpad, I really like webOS... but nothing I have seen here gives me confidence that webOS under HP will be able to gain much traction against the competition. Some businesses might bite because of the enterprise features, but I do not have much faith in waht I have seen here. I hope I am wrong though, because more competition is always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Based on what I have seen of the Touchpad at the HP Discover 2011 event, I don't think they would be able to release a "perfect" Touchpad until the end of the year. To me, it does not look a whole lot better than the original announcement videos from February.

I don't mean to gripe on HP or the Touchpad, I really like webOS... but nothing I have seen here gives me confidence that webOS under HP will be able to gain much traction against the competition. Some businesses might bite because of the enterprise features, but I do not have much faith in waht I have seen here. I hope I am wrong though, because more competition is always good.
    What are the issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    iPad Announced: January 27, 2010
    iPad Launched: April 3, 2010
    iPad App's on Launch: As of May 1, 2010 (less than a month), 5,405*

* How Many iPad Apps Are There? | PadGadget
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    What are the issues?
    well, what's the wow factor? multi-task? other?

Basically nothing new has been shown since the Feb 9th debut. Still no plans for video out, won't support PowerPoint on release, just word and excel, ... ... ...
    What are the issues?
    The biggest issue I've seen is the speed of the device. Now, granted, the demo devices did have a lot of cards open with things like flash video or 3D games running, but seeing a stuttery email app demonstration, having the Facebook app take 10 (I counted...) "pulses" to launch, and have the contacts app not populate after a minute or two (not exaggerated) of searching is not a flattering portrayal of the device. To its credit, cards moved pretty fluidly in card view, and some apps did launch in only 2 or 3 pulses. However, given the hardware the Touchpad is packing...I guess I expected more, especially now that they have had a chance to optimize the new enyo framework.

There are a few neat features, but I don't think there has been anything that is both a "killer app" and a feature unique to webOS that would sway many customers. Language like "in the coming months" is still rampant when talking about enterprise and consumer features that will be coming in the future. There also hasn't been any real new information about launch dates or carrier info. I feel like HP is expecting their competition to wait for them to catch up. If the Touchpad as it is now, was released with or before the iPad2, it might have had a chance, but Apple and Google are surging ahead and I don't feel that HP is keeping up or doing enough to innovate.

Like I said, I'm not trying to gripe or troll. These are just my observations and opinions based on what I have seen here at the conference.
    The biggest issue I've seen is the speed of the device. Now, granted, the demo devices did have a lot of cards open with things like flash video or 3D games running,
    Thanks for the report.

If you are still there, can you take a look at the speed without flash? I'm wondering if that is a resource hog.

Regarding killer apps, it may be that the app catalog is not live yet and so they have not installed on the demo devices you are seeing. Notwithstanding, the talk of "coming months" you are hearing is offputting.
    Thanks for the report.

If you are still there, can you take a look at the speed without flash? I'm wondering if that is a resource hog.

Regarding killer apps, it may be that the app catalog is not live yet and so they have not installed on the demo devices you are seeing. Notwithstanding, the talk of "coming months" you are hearing is offputting.
    I will certainly try and will report back. I have a few days to sneak in and do that . They did say that the app catalog for the Touchpad was not live, but they did say that they would have around 7000 apps.
    I will certainly try and will report back. I have a few days to sneak in and do that . They did say that the app catalog for the Touchpad was not live, but they did say that they would have around 7000 apps.
    thanks, appreciate hearing a report from the field. I'm not convinced the 7000 is "new" apps, it could also include the Pre apps running in emulator minus whatever apps that don't work in the emulator, similar to Pre counting the Palm classic apps when it launched.
    of course not.

lack of so many ports/functions/hardwares
    design is just so so
    quite pricy

its far from perfect from any angle.
    Wondering also if you could check the build and date of build?
    Wondering also if you could check the build and date of build?
    I will try to get this too. I have tried to do this,but they caught me and stopped me. I will also try to get a short video of the performance. I think I will have an opportunity to do this today.
    Thanks. I've linked to your post in this thread where another reviewer said the TouchPad is slow loading apps but the thought from some webos devs is that TouchPad looks slower merely because of the way it loads the apps, namely using a pulsing screen rather than the bitmap the iPad uses

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...time-load.html
    I think many of us were hoping that they would keep some relatively big apps (that HP Helped create), like Netflix, to have right at launch. It seems that's being overly optimistic at this point or they would be showing it off by now.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think many of us were hoping that they would keep some relatively big apps (that HP Helped create), like Netflix, to have right at launch. It seems that's being overly optimistic at this point or they would be showing it off by now.
    No, HP likes to keep things totally under wraps until it steathily trickles out (Hi Veer!) or someone leaks it (Bye bye feeds!). Saves them the trouble of people asking about annoying details like dates and compatibility.
    Okay, I have had a change to see how the Touchpad preforms with no apps running and with several intensive ones running. i also got to talk a bit with a developer relations guy who also spoke at node.conf. It performed a lot better without flash running in the background. In fact, I would also mostly take back my concerns about the speed of the Touchpad. Apps launched faster with fewer apps running (obviously), and the dev relations guy was also kind enough to show me a novacom session with the logs being displayed. I didnt take into account that this was very much a dev build of webos 3.0, and there were tons of logs being generated in the background. By the way, I think the build number was webOS 3.0.0 build 36.

I stand by my comments about the lack of anything "new" or "exciting" that is unique to webOS. Getting developers on board a platform with so few users that has to compete with well established platforms like Android and iOS will be a huge challenge that I'm not sure HP will be up to. I do think it has the underlying OS features to make it a potentially appealing choice however.

On a side note, I played with a verizon Pre3 test phone a little bit. It was very fluid, but I did not launch any apps other than the camera, which was MUCH improved over the fixed focused cameras of its predecessors.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast