Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FischOderAal
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to buy a TouchPad regardless. What I want to know is whether or not it would be a good idea to rely on it over buying a laptop. I have a decent desktop but I'm looking for something portable. The only thing that I am waiting for a full document editing. I am going to buy the Bluetooth keyboard, case, and touchstone for it so I'll be able to easily use it.

So should I buy just a TouchPad or still get a laptop?
    i'm in a similar position except that I already have a laptop. The only thing is that it's a 17 inch fattop built for gaming. XD

I've considered just getting a netbook but really want the touchpad. I figure we'll have to wait and see how well the TP handles actual classroom/office work, though I think it has the chance of doing it pretty well.

Even then I just might end up getting both a netbook and a TP. Just depends on my needs/wants/finances
    Wow... that's a tough question. Are there any college boards that discuss this at all? I'm sure other college students have already walked this walk and talked about the pros/cons. For me, it would really depend upon how quickly I needed to type and enter text in a classroom and how easy it was to use the TouchPad and separate keyboard in a classroom or lecture hall environment. The lecture hall I was in didn't have actual desktops at all - you had to grab a board when you walked in to put on your lap. LOL (No, it wasn't that long ago - just an old building). In that environment, it would have been all but impossible to use the BT keyboard.

I'd check and see if any students have discussed this decision at all.

Update:
    A couple of discussions about this subject...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4232511AAtvORi

http://www.thecorsaironline.com/opin...tops-1.2355067
    If you already got a desktop PC and plan to get the Touchpad what do you need the Laptop for? Do you expect to be traveling a lot and using that time to work? Let me tell you, I travelled home nearly every weekend during my studies and I _never_ worked on the train. My grades are fine Just read a book (can even be study-related) or use the time to surf the web on your Touchpad

Do you really want to use the device in class? OK, then I misunderstood you. What will you be studying? I had a Tablet (a real one, with a pen) back in 2006 to write down my lectures. However, I printed them out to learn anyway so in the next semester I stopped doing that and wrote on paper again. It was great to write on a Tablet, but in the end the advantages were negligible.

On a Laptop you can only write lecture notes very fast if you they don't involve many formulas or you do know LaTeX well. Even if you don't have a lot of fomulas, take a look at LaTeX anyway If you know it well enough you'll never want to use Word again. LaTeX is not "what you see is what you get" but "what you get is what you want" LaTeX is free and you get the same result on every platform. I had to make different experiences with Word even though Microsoft claims interoperability.

BTW, that's an App I'd love to see for the Touchpad: LaTeXit!
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 06/05/2011 at 04:03 PM.
    bugz42 likes this.
    make sure it can run splashtop or team viewer, then you can always remote access your desktop if needed.

also make sure your school's wifi authentication supports webOS. otherwise you won't be able to get online (unless you buy a network version)

you may want to make a checklist and make sure touchpad can do those for you.
    In my opinion, tablet will never replace a laptop/netbook for class. Sure you can look at notes but taking notes on them isn't very good. Unless you get a WinTab with a keyboard.. but then it's just a laptop.

I have a netbook that I take to class, gets the job done and gets it done very well.

But I'll be getting a tablet for more entertaining purposes. Can't wait until the TouchPad comes out.
    Sprint Love
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Wow... that's a tough question. Are there any college boards that discuss this at all? I'm sure other college students have already walked this walk and talked about the pros/cons. For me, it would really depend upon how quickly I needed to type and enter text in a classroom and how easy it was to use the TouchPad and separate keyboard in a classroom or lecture hall environment. The lecture hall I was in didn't have actual desktops at all - you had to grab a board when you walked in to put on your lap. LOL (No, it wasn't that long ago - just an old building). In that environment, it would have been all but impossible to use the BT keyboard.

I'd check and see if any students have discussed this decision at all.

Update:
    A couple of discussions about this subject...

Tablet vs notebook for college? - Yahoo! Answers

Tablets vs. Laptops - Opinion - Corsair - Santa Monica College
    Very true and thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post

Do you really want to use the device in class? OK, then I misunderstood you. What will you be studying? I had a Tablet (a real one, with a pen) back in 2006 to write down my lectures. However, I printed them out to learn anyway so in the next semester I stopped doing that and wrote on paper again. It was great to write on a Tablet, but in the end the advantages were negligible.
    Yea, I do want it for class and I'm going into Audiology. I just really want the portability it has over a laptop when I'm in class and on the go. But I'm just unsure if its up to the task of fulfilling the space that a laptop can. Just if I get a laptop it'll have to be great (w/a 17" screen) and it'll be a huge pain to carry around. BTW that app seems epic.

I guess I still have to wait around to be sure.
    I currently use my Motorola xoom for school and it works great. I love taking notes on it and it is very portable. I can also put my books on it and read when I need. I am getting a touchpad and will use it for the same purpose.

I am a government and economics major, so lots of writing. And the tablet works MUCH better for me than does my Mac book. I prefer the portability, size, entertainment, ease of use and most importantly BATTERY LIFE. You will never get 10 hours of life with a laptop. Maybe a net book, but they run so slow that they are a pain to use. I prefer having something a bit faster and that can take care of my basic uses. I use the word processor, internet, book reader, music, and I out all my real books on the tablet for when I need them to play my saxophone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    Very true and thanks for the links.

Yea, I do want it for class and I'm going into Audiology. I just really want the portability it has over a laptop when I'm in class and on the go. But I'm just unsure if its up to the task of fulfilling the space that a laptop can. Just if I get a laptop it'll have to be great (w/a 17" screen) and it'll be a huge pain to carry around. BTW that app seems epic.

I guess I still have to wait around to be sure.
    audiology eh? well you'll have beats audio for superior sound quality....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    audiology eh? well you'll have beats audio for superior sound quality....
    OoooOO Good point!
    I might have to go with a netbook or bring my fat laptop to class even with a touchpad. I plan on changing my major to CS and i'm not sure how well the touchpad will serve as a dev environment. I suppose I can ssh into linux terminals and stuff on it, but I don't know how much i'd want to code on one vs. a normal keyboard.
    Are there any other apps that your university or department will require you to use? Any such apps would likely be compatible with a windows PC or a MacBook. But would versions be available for the OS of the tablet you are considering?
    well, there are several high quality 7" tabs, you don't even need a bag to carry those.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Are there any other apps that your university or department will require you to use? Any such apps would likely be compatible with a windows PC or a MacBook. But would versions be available for the OS of the tablet you are considering?
    As now not that I know of. But that is actually a good point.
    Personally, I wouldn't want a tablet for college without a pen and OneNote.

The ability to search handwritten notes alone makes it invaluable for that usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't want a tablet for college without a pen and OneNote.

The ability to search handwritten notes alone makes it invaluable for that usage.
    This. I have a notebook for every semester of my college years, and the ability to write was the only way I could roll. Notes in the margin, drawing diagrams, writing equations, etc was a huge advantage. Yeah, your hand would get cramped, but I never understood how people could use a laptop in class. Maybe it just wasn't my thing though. Not to mention people hammering away on their keyboards was REALLY annoying.

But, if there was some way to write on the TouchPad, it would have been really nice to have in college. Might have saved an entire forest worth of trees.
    I would imagine in the future, you could just use TTS with your TouchPad. That would alleviate the hassle of emailing it to yourself/whatever. You could text it to yourself too I'd imagine.
    i plan on getting a touchpad for my use in college. i have my gaming desktop in my room and dont own or use a laptop at all, but i did want something to bring with me to class which is where the TP came in. i love the idea about teamviewer to access my desktop. i actually use that program all the time and never made the connection of having it on the TP. that would be awesome.

i am a CS major also and i use my gaming desktop for any word processing and CS coding because its just simply more comfortable for me, especially with my 42 inch tv as a monitor.

the TP will be perfect for my use in college.