Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Let's hope this author is right!

Take care,

Jay

The iPad 2 Killer Has Arrived (You've Been Looking In The Wrong Places)
    SATURDAY, 04 JUNE 2011 09:34 CHRISTOPHER HUDSON

The iPad 2 Killer Has Arrived (You've Been Looking In The Wrong Places)

The iPad 2 is currently the reigning tablet on the market and since its release earlier this year, we've seen a barrage of Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets attempt to take the title away from Apple, with no such luck. While we believe that the latest additions of Honeycomb tablets like the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 have a much greater chance or taking some of the iPad 2 market share away from Apple compared to the Motorola Xoom, it may still not be the "iPad 2 killer" that we've been waiting for.

HP TouchPad to take on Apple iPad 2

It looks like we've been looking in all the wrong places as eWeek has provided 10 compelling reasons as to why "HP's TouchPad Might Be iPad's Top Challenger," and not an Android Honeycomb tablet. Here are a couple of key highlights from their story that we agree does give the HP TouchPad a leg up over the Honeycomb tablets and also pose as a threat to the iPad 2:

"HP understands the value of hardware design" - Let's face it. One of the main appealing features of iOS devices like the iPad 2, iPod touch and iPhone 4 isn't just its software but also hardware design. Their unique industrial design are not just highly sought after by customers but also manufacturers who tend to imitate the design of Apple products more than any other mobile product on the market. And that's where HP shines as we've seen how their Windows devices "are among some of the better-designed PCs on the market. Building upon that, HP has delivered an appealing design with the 9.7-inch TouchPad. The device has a nice, black bezel, it's thin and lightweight and it appears to have the kind of design points that consumers are looking for in a tablet design. That alone gives it an advantage over uglier competitors", states eWeek.

"HP controls software design" - Just like how iOS can only be found running on Apple devices, webOS is owned and operated by HP and only available for HP/Palm devices. As such, "that should help it deliver more unique features and offer updates more quickly than tablet makers that rely upon Android", states eWeek

"PC plans are important" - HP is set to make webOS available for PCs. Now HP sells millions of PCs every year which would make webOS a very familiar platform very quickly. And "if consumers and enterprise customers try out WebOS on a laptop and like what they find, they might be far more willing to buy a tablet running the operating system." With webOS introduced in PCs which still has more units shipped than tablets across the globe, the familiarity of the OS will no doubt have many customers thinking it's as "easy" to use as iOS.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Title is right article is wrong. I have been a webOS fan boy for a long time, but after seeing windows 8 I think its the only thing that has a shot to take out the ipad's Dominance. The fact that webOS still refuses to let me color code my calendar appointments after two years hurts my heart. 2 years from now Windows may be creeping on apple in the tablet space, but apple will just move to another product and say that no one wants tablets anymore.
    Well, Apple is a known brand. Folks who don't occupy web-forums like this don't really take into account the relative merits of one gadget's features over another, though they might be persuaded by figures.

I'll just reiterate that we shouldn't be looking to the TouchPad as a direct competitor to the iPad. It matches the specs of the iPad 1, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. This is the first Tab HP is releasing, and anyone who expects Apple's reign to fall with the TouchPad is setting themselves up for disappointment.

More important is what happens over the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    The fact that webOS still refuses to let me color code my calendar appointments after two years hurts my heart.
    Do iThings let you color code your calendar appointments?

I didn't realize this was a deal-breaker. Good god, what was HP thinking?

Enjoy your new iPad.
    Title is right article is wrong. I have been a webOS fan boy for a long time, but after seeing windows 8 I think its the only thing that has a shot to take out the ipad's Dominance. The fact that webOS still refuses to let me color code my calendar appointments after two years hurts my heart. 2 years from now Windows may be creeping on apple in the tablet space, but apple will just move to another product and say that no one wants tablets anymore.
    I'm not grasping why people are so sure of Windows 8. They showed a video player and a bunch of light web apps before reverting back to the same tired, non touch-friendly windows interface we grew up on.

WebOS uses color coding to differentiate calender accounts, could you use this to color code your apps? It would be silly to expect then to abandon there conventions just for you...
    Eh, it wouldn't hurt to be able to rearrange the calendar colors. It's hardly a dealbreaker for me though.
    Title is right article is wrong. I have been a webOS fan boy for a long time, but after seeing windows 8 I think its the only thing that has a shot to take out the ipad's Dominance.
    I don't think so.

Windows only has 2 things going for it:
    1: A zilion applications that people are used to
    2: Familiarity of the interface

With Windows 8 on an ARM device both points go out the window.
    The metro UI is new and unfamiliar and hasn't been a runaway success on Phones. No reason to assume it will suddenly be more popular on a tablet.
    And while MS will surely bring out a ported version of Office recompiled for an ARM Tablet running W8, most other windows applications people are used to will not run on such a device.
    So app-wise W8 on ARM will have MS behind IOS, Android and by then even webos (when W8 appears in 2012, HP will have had 6-12 months to get apps ported to webos).

And the interface of many windows apps is still likely to be clunky compared to the other, by then established, mobile platforms.

It's possible that MS overcomes all that - but not very likely IMHO. Not in 2012.

My prediction (just for 2012):
    IPad will still be number one with increasing growth by Android (just like on phones and for similar reasons - there will just be a zillion Android tablets catering to all tastes and wallets).
    webos and BB will fight over 3rd place with webos getting ahead of BB.
    MS with W8 will struggle to get established in spite of a big and expensive marketing push and MS will publish a statement saying that they are in for the long rung.

Beyond that it gets cloudy. Android will probably beat IOS and become number 1 also in Tablets. So many companies pushing it and the only platform with the app market numbers to challenge Apple in the foreseeable future.

BB will fail because RIM - like Palm before - will eventually find out that they aren't big enough to compete with the big boys. By then MS will eventually pass BB - MS is big and stubborn and has the resources to get through the desert for a while. But MS is post-peak and is struggling everywhere and all it's old dominions are under attack or becoming irrelevant. With sinking share value and profits it will have a harder time conquering market share. And their profits are under attack even in the markets they still dominate (Windows, Office).

That leaves webos as the likely 3rd place OS - assuming webos doesn't tank by 2012 and HP has the determination to see this through.

The wild cards are Meego and Ubuntu. Meego has been weakened by MS cooperation with Nokia. And without Nokia betting on it Meego is probably doomed.
    Considering the way Canonical changed the Ubuntu UI with the new Unity interface I'm that Canonical is making a bet that they can compete with MS and others on the Tablet market. Most of the changes for Unity make most sense on a Tablet - not so much on a desktop. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been negotiations with big asian manufacturers who are looking for a good OS option that comes without strings and licencing worries that they can put on cheap mass produced hardware that will undercut products like IPad and TP or any W8-based tablets/slates. Recent announcement by Asus to put Ubuntu on several Netbook models and Mark Shuttleworths remark about 200 m Ubuntu machines by 2014 point in that direction.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  8.    #8  
    2 years from now Windows may be creeping on apple in the tablet space, but apple will just move to another product and say that no one wants tablets anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm not grasping why people are so sure of Windows 8. They showed a video player and a bunch of light web apps before reverting back to the same tired, non touch-friendly windows interface we grew up on.

WebOS uses color coding to differentiate calender accounts, could you use this to color code your apps? It would be silly to expect then to abandon there conventions just for you...
    Hi all,

B. I'd like to mention to all, that so many people going Ga-Ga over win 8...

1. so far it's vaporware.

2. Windows has a very long record of being a power hog & a resource hog.

3. Windows is a huge program (I'm talking Win 8), needing a tremendous amount of space. Which also slows it down.

4. Keep in mind that win 7 on a HP pad, was slow, balky, stalled and went thru batteries far faster than webOS is supposed to.

5. MS has a very long history of promising the moon and not delivering. Frankly Vista was/is horrid and I don't find Win 7 to be so fantastic.

6. MS has a history of charging vendors very costly fees for the use of Win on their products. Commercial users pay very pricey licencing fees for MS products such as Word......

Those are the first 6 I can think of off the top of my head.

B. WebOS calender.

1. I have begged and pleaded with the creator of DateBK to make a version for webOS..he has a litany of reasons and he won't budge.....DateBK gives you so many options and choices for alarms.

2. Agendus was purchased a short while ago from Splash Data. They did put up a page indicating they were going to bring Agendus to webOS. The first link will take you to an article on this site about Agendus for webOS. I also contacted them a short while ago, please see the second link below.

iambic acquired by SplashData, Agendus coming to webOS and Android | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

http://forums.precentral.net/general...a-agendus.html

3. I wrote iambic another email a few minutes ago, again urging them to release Agendus for webOS:

JAY M SILVERMAN

Good day,

Shortly after SplashData purchased your firm and it's software, there was a posting from SplashData indicating that Agendus would be ported to the webOS platform.

Since then as you know Palm was sold and HP, after all is the 8,000,000,000,000,000 ton gorilla became the owner of webOS.....

That means that HP has the marketing savvy and funds to make webOS an huge success....after all it did spend $1.2 billion for Palm/webOS let alone all of the funds to develop additional software & hardware.

HP has already informed the webOS community that it will be putting a version of webOS made to work in conjunction with windows on all of it's PC's and computers....

Since we know for sure that webOS is here to stay and that HP is providing the labor and and skill to port webOS from other platforms.

Therefore, can you please update me as to the status of Agendus for webOS?

Thank you and take care,

Jay M Silverman

Take care,

Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 06/04/2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm not going to count HP's chickens before they hatch, but it's always good to see a positive article that is webOS related.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Calander ...Never said it was a deal breaker (I have 12 sprint lines with pixi's or pres), but for my employees who use only (or should only) use exchange accounts it is a sorely missed feature. You can say that Windows 8 is vaporware, but you would also have to say that about the 7 previous iterations of the operating system. We are not talking about the adam tablet here, kin, or even windows phone 7. This is the next major release of Windows with a Tablet interface that for the first time actually allows two programs to be run at once on the same screen.

Windows is intensive and does take a huge amount of space. I am looking forward to seeing how they make fit on something with 16 or 32 gb. I have wanted a dual boot Win/webOS tablet since HP picked up Palm and win 8 to me seems like a much better solution. I am still not sure why people are so down about the traditional win interface laying below Win8. All it says to me is that I can dock it to a monitor and use it as my main computer. Keyboard and mouse are not going any were anytime soon.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20...?tag=cnetRiver
    Last edited by Titan078; 06/04/2011 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

B. I'd like to mention to all, that so many people going Ga-Ga over win 8...

<snip>

Take care,

Jay
    The one thing M$ will need in its tablet to run Win8 well is a SSD in their tablet. You get a good chunk of storage (which Windoze will need) and you get amazing performance (which Windoze will also need).

Maybe M$ anticipated this, and that's why they are waiting to release a tablet.
    A SSD is fine and well, but when the OS has to save data to the storage instead of the RAM performance will suffer. Furthermore, I doubt Windows will suddenly be less intensive on the processor.

Microsoft needs to make huge changes in Windows 8 if they want it to run fast and efficient on lower-end hardware. ARM is still "low-end" when comparing it to AMD's or Intel's processors.

And honestly, I effin dislike the Metro UI. I always said Microsoft needs to do something about their window management, but that's not what I meant *********
    I am still not sure why people are so down about the traditional win interface laying below Win8. All it says to me is that I can dock it to a monitor and use it as my main computer. Keyboard and mouse are not going any were anytime soon.
    I understand what you want and I agree that keyboard and mouse are here to stay for a while longer.

But your expectations for what you want to do with your Windows tablets is exactly MS problem (or one of several big problems they have).

To allow you to dock your Tablet and then work with Windows like you used to means they have to keep a lot of legacy cruft around. That's whole stacks of software that need testing, slow down your machine, makes it hard to improve battery life and needs more hardware power than the competition.

It's easy for you to say you want slick Metro touch interface on your Tablet and then have it transform into a more classical, fully compatible, desktop as soon as you dock it. But that's very hard for MS to implement and keep the bug count low and somewhat secure.

And unless Intel can provide x86 compatible battery friendly hardware in time for W8 they will have the additional problem of having to port W8 and Office to ARM. Which they are no doubt doing. But what about all the rest of the Windows software? MS can probably get a few big name apps ported in time - but most companies will hesitate a while before they invest resources in yet another unproven platform (let's remember that MS just killed the market for Windows Mobile by switching to the incompatible WP7). What's windows without it's familiar interface and only a few apps? A bloated, expensive and inferior competitor to IOS, Android, BB, webos and Ubuntu. All of which will be months to years ahead of them. And none of the others have MS bad track record when it comes to security.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    To all the WebOS calendar bashers (I'm one of them), check out digicalendar in the app catalog. The developer is very responsive to requests for updates (they updated 3 times in three weeks) and I just got notified that Digicalendar Pro 2.0 should arrive any day now. The ONLY reason I'm mentioning this is, the color coding. I hated the WebOS calendar because of the lake of response to color coding and the digicalendar has the color coding.

ET
    black bezel? How many tablet aren't?
    thin? Compare to what?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    This is the source of the above article.

I prefer the title in this article to the 'iPad Killer' title above. I wish people won't go about calling the devices 'iDevice Killer'. Then rather than arouse the curiousity of iDevice owners, and potential owners, their hackles are raised, and they go into defense mode, and all sorts of unreasonable arguments are raised from the wrath incurred.
    NNJ
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    To all the WebOS calendar bashers (I'm one of them), check out digicalendar in the app catalog. The developer is very responsive to requests for updates (they updated 3 times in three weeks) and I just got notified that Digicalendar Pro 2.0 should arrive any day now. The ONLY reason I'm mentioning this is, the color coding. I hated the WebOS calendar because of the lake of response to color coding and the digicalendar has the color coding.

ET
    Hi, Thank you for reminding me...I am still using my Centro...one of the things I was concerned about was all of the comments about the calender on webOS, when I move to the Pre3, as soon as it released.

DateBK is so great that I hate to give it up....that is why I contacted the owner of the firm. Apparently he was burned by Palm over the dropping of the Folio and he is extremely angry about after all this time....

In fact the more people contact him over porting dateBK to webOS, the angrier he seems, so I have dropped the issue for good....he also predicted that webOS would die and that no one would buy Palm or if they did it was for the good will of the Palm name....and it would sell for pocket change...I wish I would have the kind of pocket that collect $1.2 BILLION!

So when I contacted him again after the buy out, he was angrier still. He then was ****ed b/c I urged people to email him asking it to be ported to webOS.

Now as for Digicalender....the developer is a nice person, he joined in on the DateBK thread and added a lot of features and promised an upgrade, which I very happy to hear about.....

Take care,

Jay
    if people look at the marketshare Android has halted and slowed as thought by most anaylist last year, because of compeition is now afloat. BB is still falling fast, and will be overtaken by Webos, and WP7. I believe Webos and WP7 will start to catch Android just do to their stretch worldwide (with microsoft with Nokia now they have that much more audience to reach). IMO HP will be a big threat to the Ipad in tablets in general do to the interface elegance simliaritys. Though as long as The touchpad is fully optimized with NO hiccups and has the core applications HP claims it will have, it will be a more appealing product then the Ipad, do to the cards interface. Which I believe is what HP is betting on making it the same dimensions and pretty much the same specs, and pricepoint. Microsoft will be a huge player though just because they know how to get devices in peoples hands, and with Nokia now they will have a much broader audience. I have a Windows device and right now with just the NODO update it has everything you need to be able to do everything every other phone can do minus things like tethering. They have something with WP7 and Windows8 METRO, and it is a very good idea. To me they will be the new android in a few years, just as anaylist expect, because they can flood the market worldwide faster, and with only high end devices then Google could ever dream with the help of Nokia.
    the windows 8 interface with those tiles is going to be clunky. There's no way to have a desktop OS (they being microsoft will of course maintain backwards compatibility) and a tablet OS in one and work smoothly. I think it's gonna backfire.

Don't get me wrong, I"m a big windows 7 supporter and user. I hate macs and mac OS. But I want to see webOS gain serious marketshare
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Calander ...Never said it was a deal breaker (I have 12 sprint lines with pixi's or pres), but for my employees who use only (or should only) use exchange accounts it is a sorely missed feature. You can say that Windows 8 is vaporware, but you would also have to say that about the 7 previous iterations of the operating system. We are not talking about the adam tablet here, kin, or even windows phone 7. This is the next major release of Windows with a Tablet interface that for the first time actually allows two programs to be run at once on the same screen.

Windows is intensive and does take a huge amount of space. I am looking forward to seeing how they make fit on something with 16 or 32 gb. I have wanted a dual boot Win/webOS tablet since HP picked up Palm and win 8 to me seems like a much better solution. I am still not sure why people are so down about the traditional win interface laying below Win8. All it says to me is that I can dock it to a monitor and use it as my main computer. Keyboard and mouse are not going any were anytime soon.

What is a Windows 8 PC? | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
    is there a way for u to just give each of them there own calender account. for example use google to give each one of them their own account, in addition to the account u have now. that way each employee has his or her's own color?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast