Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    is there a way for u to just give each of them there own calender account. for example use google to give each one of them their own account, in addition to the account u have now. that way each employee has his or her's own color?
    I have considered the different accounts for different appt types before, but its just a convoluted work around. I get what they are trying to accomplish, but they are dropping the ball for legacy palm users. We were used to doing something one way. All I want are different colored calendars for different accounts with a flipping dot on the appts to signify their category. Our database sets appts for them and it was easier with the 755's to make the different appts types different for glanceable information.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    But your expectations for what you want to do with your Windows tablets is exactly MS problem (or one of several big problems they have).

To allow you to dock your Tablet and then work with Windows like you used to means they have to keep a lot of legacy cruft around. That's whole stacks of software that need testing, slow down your machine, makes it hard to improve battery life and needs more hardware power than the competition.

It's easy for you to say you want slick Metro touch interface on your Tablet and then have it transform into a more classical, fully compatible, desktop as soon as you dock it. But that's very hard for MS to implement and keep the bug count low and somewhat secure.

And unless Intel can provide x86 compatible battery friendly hardware in time for W8 they will have the additional problem of having to port W8 and Office to ARM. Which they are no doubt doing. But what about all the rest of the Windows software? MS can probably get a few big name apps ported in time - but most companies will hesitate a while before they invest resources in yet another unproven platform (let's remember that MS just killed the market for Windows Mobile by switching to the incompatible WP7). What's windows without it's familiar interface and only a few apps? A bloated, expensive and inferior competitor to IOS, Android, BB, webos and Ubuntu. All of which will be months to years ahead of them. And none of the others have MS bad track record when it comes to security.
    I do not have the solutions for the aforementioned problems and all I can say is hopefully MS is working on them. I believe there will be a x86 and arm version of the tablets with different markets in mind. Frankly all I use on a day to day basis is access and adobe suits. Adobe will most likely make a light weight arm version of their program but I have a strange feeling I will want to use the full blown versions on my custom rig anyway. I think we all want a world were all of our files are saved on super secure servers somewhere that create a "continuous client" but if the hacker attack of the last couple days teach us anything its that its nice to have the files on your on computer sometimes. Still jazzed about the TP and I still will most likely get one, but Win8 is the only thing with a shot to take on Apple. But as I mentioned before they will just say no one wants tablets and take their ball home again if that were to happen.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

B. I'd like to mention to all, that so many people going Ga-Ga over win 8...

1. so far it's vaporware.

2. Windows has a very long record of being a power hog & a resource hog.

3. Windows is a huge program (I'm talking Win 8), needing a tremendous amount of space. Which also slows it down.

4. Keep in mind that win 7 on a HP pad, was slow, balky, stalled and went thru batteries far faster than webOS is supposed to.

5. MS has a very long history of promising the moon and not delivering. Frankly Vista was/is horrid and I don't find Win 7 to be so fantastic.

6. MS has a history of charging vendors very costly fees for the use of Win on their products. Commercial users pay very pricey licencing fees for MS products such as Word......

Those are the first 6 I can think of off the top of my head.

B. WebOS calender.

1. I have begged and pleaded with the creator of DateBK to make a version for webOS..he has a litany of reasons and he won't budge.....DateBK gives you so many options and choices for alarms.

2. Agendus was purchased a short while ago from Splash Data. They did put up a page indicating they were going to bring Agendus to webOS. The first link will take you to an article on this site about Agendus for webOS. I also contacted them a short while ago, please see the second link below.

iambic acquired by SplashData, Agendus coming to webOS and Android | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

http://forums.precentral.net/general...a-agendus.html

3. I wrote iambic another email a few minutes ago, again urging them to release Agendus for webOS:

JAY M SILVERMAN

Good day,

Shortly after SplashData purchased your firm and it's software, there was a posting from SplashData indicating that Agendus would be ported to the webOS platform.

Since then as you know Palm was sold and HP, after all is the 8,000,000,000,000,000 ton gorilla became the owner of webOS.....

That means that HP has the marketing savvy and funds to make webOS an huge success....after all it did spend $1.2 billion for Palm/webOS let alone all of the funds to develop additional software & hardware.

HP has already informed the webOS community that it will be putting a version of webOS made to work in conjunction with windows on all of it's PC's and computers....

Since we know for sure that webOS is here to stay and that HP is providing the labor and and skill to port webOS from other platforms.

Therefore, can you please update me as to the status of Agendus for webOS?

Thank you and take care,

Jay M Silverman

Take care,

Jay
    Hi all,

Here is a note that I just opened a few minutes ago from Agendus....in other words, they are not even close to getting to webOS version:

Hi Jay,

It is something we would like to do in the future, but there is no date to give at this time. We are currently focused on Agendus for iPhone, we will be moving on to update the Desktop versions next since those have not been updated since acquiring from Iambic. After that time, the team will be looking into Android development since that is the most requested after iOS.
    Regards,

Nancy

Iambic
    iambic - mobile phone software solutions for Palm, Treo, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Smartphone, Symbian, BlackBerry and Microsoft Outlook
    *Follow us on our Forums: iambic News and Announcements - iambic Community Forums

Ticket History
    ===================
    jay silverman (Client) Posted On: 06/04/2011 07:44 PM

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I do not have the solutions for the aforementioned problems and all I can say is hopefully MS is working on them.
    I'm sure they are working on that. MS is a big company with lots of talented people and I assume they are aware of the challenges they face.

Their problem is that the challenges are fundamental and they get pressure on all fronts at the same time.

I believe there will be a x86 and arm version of the tablets with different markets in mind.
    Sure - they already announced that.

Frankly all I use on a day to day basis is access and adobe suits. Adobe will most likely make a light weight arm version of their program
    Very likely. Though probably not available on W8 launch (not the whole suit). Adobe is not known for being fast.

but I have a strange feeling I will want to use the full blown versions on my custom rig anyway.
    Not just you. Tablets are mostly about content consumption - not creation.

I think we all want a world were all of our files are saved on super secure servers somewhere that create a "continuous client"
    There is no "super secure" (as in totally safe) - which is why I don't want all my files on remote servers.

but if the hacker attack of the last couple days teach us anything its that its nice to have the files on your on computer sometimes.
    Exactly.

Still jazzed about the TP and I still will most likely get one, but Win8 is the only thing with a shot to take on Apple. But as I mentioned before they will just say no one wants tablets and take their ball home again if that were to happen.
    Well the "no one wants tablets" won't fly anymore after the IPads success.

And I have to disagree about Win8 being the only thing that can take a shot at Apple.
    MS is in trouble (not very obvious because of their former dominance - but they are shrinking almost everywhere) and just had to reboot their mobile platform. And they had to save their desktop from the Vista debacle - loosing a lot of customers to Mac OSX and a few to Linux.

WP7 is not going as well as they hoped which brought 2 desperate giants (Nokia & MS) together. But that desperate marriage of convenience could easily fail (destroying Nokia and further weakening MS in the process). Nokia WP7 phones won't be out until sometime in 2012.

The primary competition for Apple is still (and will be for the foreseeable future) Android. And just as in the smartphone market Android is likely to topple Android from first place by sheer force of numbers. Every single Android Tablet model will have only a small market share compared to IPad. But a large range of models and price points will eventually eat away IPads market share.

RIM is also in trouble - but could recover - we'll have to see. But they just might not be big enough to struggle against Apple, Android (multitude of big companies), MS and HP. That's what killed Palm even though they had the best mobile OS.

That leaves MSs WP7 and HPs webos as the 2 big contenders for 3rd place.
    And HP is ahead on the Tablet front. And has the better OS IMHO - but YMMV.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I think counting out Windows 8 or Microsoft is just crazy. People said Vista was a failure and the beginning of the end of their desktop dominance, but they bounced back quick with Windows 7 and sold 350 million copies in less than two years.
    Of course they sold lots of copies in 2 years. That was all the pent up demand from companies that had to move away from XP (MS killed its support after all) and weren't buying Vista.
    That wasn't bouncing back - that was halting the decline.

Vista cost MS a lot of customers. Primarily to Apples gain. Those customers are not likely to come back. And with over 10% market share (plus it's great chunk of the hot mobile market) Mac OSX now has enough presence and credibility that developers offer their programs also on Mac.
    That's very bad for MS because the application selection is one of 2 main selling points for Windows (the other being legacy compatibility). Windows is not a well liked OS. People keep it because they are familiar with it, it came ob their hardware and it runs the software they need/want.

But it has a terrible track record when it comes to security and runs wasteful on your hardware. And it's very much uncool by now. Go to a Starbucks near a University and students have mostly Macs. In 1 London Starbucks - I saw 1 or 2 Windows Laptops, 1 or 2 Ubuntu machines - on every other Table was a Macbook or IPad.

Young talent programmers look for work at Google, Facebook, Twitter or some cool promising start-up. If all that fails - Microsoft.

They had to keep XP alive so they could compete in the Netbook market and prevent Linux taking over a popular market segment.

MS is in trouble and they know it. That's why they made that deal with Nokia. That's why W8 will be ported to ARM hardware. That's why they were willing to throw away the Windows Mobile market share they had and reboot with WP7.

Not that long ago they had 95+% of the browser "market". Now they have fallen below 55% and keep shrinking. Even though IE comes pre-installed and people have to go and download Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera.

They never dominated the server market and they are hardly present in the TOP 500 supercomputer list.

Open Source is lowering their profits even where it doesn't shrink MS market share.

That preview build of Windows 8 wowed some people and baffled others, but it got everybody's attention and that's what matters.
    Err what?
    Palm got everybody's attention in early 09. Obviously that's not all that matters.

And until sometime 2012 we don't really know what will be in there.
    There were a number of cool features announced early for what would eventually become Vista that never showed up in the final version (example: WinFS).

MS made that presentation to keep mindshare and create some desperately needed buzz. We'll see in coming months - err - next year.

P
    It's going to be a force to be reckoned with. That's a given.
    Agreed.
    MS is still big and they have a proud history of not giving up easily. I'll say that for them. MS kept trying where the competition gave up after a run or 2.

The thing that drives me crazy about the TouchPad is that I feel like I know as much about it a couple weeks from launch as I do about Windows 8 which is probably over a year from launch. What are the TouchPad apps? What's the ecosystem? Do I really have to use the button as a back function all of the time instead of gestures? When is Netflix coming? Is it coming?
    HP really can't win here. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Pre-announce and people complain that it takes them too long to deliver on their announcements. Keep their mouths shut and others like you complain that they don't say enough. ;-)

People around here need to spend less time bagging on "the competition" (And let's face it...HP will be making Windows 8 machines and selling a lot of 'em) and more time asking questions about details on OUR tablet.
    Of course HP will happily sell W8 machines. And then they will happily add their own webos environment on top of it. And together with IPads, MACs, Android/Chrome Notebooks, cheap Linux Netbooks, TPs and a zillion other things this will gradually erode the Windows desktop.
    The thing that drives me crazy about the TouchPad is that I feel like I know as much about it a couple weeks from launch as I do about Windows 8 which is probably over a year from launch.
    Good point.
    Whats drives me crazy is a fact that WebOS, once potentially best mobile OS for more than two years is still in it's early stage (flawed with programming shortcuts aimed at attracting new developers offering easy porting), and now in large degree is an old news.
    Competition took what was interesting to them from WebOS so not much exclusive WebOS features are at HP's disposal.
    Enyo framework, with its aspect scaling is another potential trap for WebOS. It offers built in support for various screen sizes which will led to a bunch of visually unattractive apps on TP, scaled from small Pre3 screen. We all know how TP mail app looks like (one of few things we know) and it looks like it was written for large screen. Now imagine old Pre mail app scaled to TP's large screen. Do we really want same app layout on all WebOS devices?

MS on other hand doesn't look like taking shortcuts with WIN8/WP8
    Last edited by chalx; 06/07/2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Well the "no one wants tablets" won't fly anymore after the IPads success.
    That was more of a shot at Apple with all of their "the PC is a dead market" because Lion cant touch W7 in market share. Its marketing smoke and mirrors at best for the foreseeable future. Very nice reply!
    They got 55 million Xbox 360s sold. 350 million Windows 7 copies sold. A few million of Windows Phone 7. Slowly but surely, they are tying those products together into a cohesive phone/internet/gaming/app juggernaut.
    You mean "Ecosystem"?
    I agree.
    I think counting out Windows 8 or Microsoft is just crazy. People said Vista was a failure and the beginning of the end of their desktop dominance, but they bounced back quick with Windows 7 and sold 350 million copies in less than two years. ...
    While I personally like Windows 7 (and despised Vista, I might add), I don't think I'd call 350 million copies in 2 years a rousing success story for Microsoft. Keep in mind the following:

• Large corporations and government entities are still very slow in adopting Windows 7
    • PC Sales are about 250 million a year. Most of those run Windows. That means that roughly speaking (from the number you gave) about a year and half's worth of PC purchaser updated. That's not a great number.
    • If that 350 million copies includes new PC sales (XP is no longer available on new PCs), then they're really not doing that well with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Good point.
    Whats drives me crazy is a fact that WebOS, once potentially best mobile OS for more than two years is still in it's early stage (flawed with programming shortcuts aimed at attracting new developers offering easy porting), and now in large degree is an old news.
    How so?
    What I find interesting is that webos was so far ahead 2 years ago that the competition sill hasn't managed to catch up.
    Remember - we're talking about the OS here - not app selection or hardware.
    We'll see about hardware in a few weeks, but apps will be behind for the foreseeable future.

The OS itself OTOH is still better than IOS, Android.
    It's best at offering a combination of multi-tasking, nice fluid UI and support for everything up to 3D games. It's notificatioons are second to none and Apple just now is getting around to close this particular gap - while still behind on multi-tasking

Offering web techs plus C/C++ as programming environment is way better than keeping Apples old Objective-C Variant around.

Competition took what was interesting to them from WebOS so not much exclusive WebOS features are at HP's disposal.
    IOS and Android in combination can cover more or less all that webos is offering - but both have parts missing - while webos covers the whole ground (multi-tasking, flash, being very open, etc...).

Enyo framework, with its aspect scaling is another potential trap for WebOS. It offers built in support for various screen sizes which will led to a bunch of visually unattractive apps on TP, scaled from small Pre3 screen. We all know how TP mail app looks like (one of few things we know) and it looks like it was written for large screen. Now imagine old Pre mail app scaled to TP's large screen. Do we really want same app layout on all WebOS devices?
    Err - what? Have you watched any of the Enyo presentations?
    One of the main points is that the layout can be automatically varied with the available screen size.
    Besides - while Enyo offers helpful functionality to manage the layout - I'm sure you can pretty much build anything you like.

MS on other hand doesn't look like taking shortcuts with WIN8/WP8
    You have studied a lot of webos and WP7/8 source code and API documentation?
    I hope you have something solid to back up these comments because it sounds like you're just making this up out of thin air.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    While I personally like Windows 7 (and despised Vista, I might add), I don't think I'd call 350 million copies in 2 years a rousing success story for Microsoft. Keep in mind the following:

• Large corporations and government entities are still very slow in adopting Windows 7
    • PC Sales are about 250 million a year. Most of those run Windows. That means that roughly speaking (from the number you gave) about a year and half's worth of PC purchaser updated. That's not a great number.
    • If that 350 million copies includes new PC sales (XP is no longer available on new PCs), then they're really not doing that well with it.
    Exactly.
    Consumers get their OS with new PC purchase and don't get a choice. Only a few geeks install their own upgrades.

Enterprise is very reluctant to upgrade at any time. This involves a lot of cost for not only the licenses - but also upgrading hardware, evaluation, testing, perhaps security certification, making sure mission critical apps run or have to be adapted/replaced.

Enterprise mostly ignored Vista and managed to force MS to prolong support for XP again and again. They even forced MS to sell XP licences a couple years longer than MS liked. But eventually the reluctance by MS to support XP and the increasing lack of driver/app support for XP forced Enterprise to eventually upgrade when Vista SP2 - err - W7 came out. This pent up demand - together with regular PC sales where consumer have no choice but to get W7 is now marketed by MS as a great success.
    And after the Vista debacle any increase in sales was bound to be a great success in comparison.

It was also brilliant marketing by MS to rename what otherwise would have been a Service Pack for Vista as W7 (BTW announced fairly quickly after Vista came out and it became obvious that it didn't sel and nobody liked it) and do some cosmetic changes to the UI besides the overdue bug fixing and reducing RAM and CPU wastage.

W8 could get very interesting.
    They had to port it to ARM to be able to compete at all on the mobile market. But without all the rest of the proprietary software world also porting their apps this would only mean Office available at launch for ARM based W8 machines. I'm sure MS will manage to get some big name apps ported at or shortly after launch. And they will make sure that a lot of Silverlight/.NET apps can be brought over as easy as possible. But there will be a lot of hickups and problems with that. Don't expect all your favourite applications ot be available on an ARM W8. In this area Linux will have a great advantage when it comes to app selection.

The new Metro-like interface - well - they needed something quickly for mobile again - or they loose a whole exploding market to Apple, Android and webos.
    We'll see how that will turn out. I'm very skeptical - but can't rule out that they manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat.
    The old Windows UI doesn't work well with touch based devices. That's why Windows based tablets never took off. An still don't.

But all those UI changes - together with the need to expand to ARM hardware will further erode their main advantages - familiarity and compatibility.

Enterprise will again not want to upgrade. Why would they? W8 doesn't provide any tangible benefits to Enterprise from what I heard so far. And many companies just went through a painful upgrade cycle.

Consumers will again not get a choice and have to take W8 on the machine they - buy. *If* they buy it. Buy then a Mac might be a more tempting alternative than it is already.
    An increasing number of software vendors is offering apps on the Mac too. With Windows UI changing anyway - the switch to Mac looks less daunting.

And many Linux Desktops together with Libre-/OpenOffice will look more familiar than W8 plus Office Whatever-We-Have-Then.

MS is in a really difficult position. They *have* to change. But all that change erodes why people keep buying Windows.
    I don't think I understand the calendar gripes... I have 4 colors on my Pre's calendar, just by creating a calendar for each category in Google... it's free, easy, and has worked flawlessly for two years. I can see them all on my phone, my Mac, or any web-connected device. They update instantly with each other. Maybe this isn't a solution for everyone, but I'd think it should work for most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I don't think I understand the calendar gripes... I have 4 colors on my Pre's calendar, just by creating a calendar for each category in Google... it's free, easy, and has worked flawlessly for two years. I can see them all on my phone, my Mac, or any web-connected device. They update instantly with each other. Maybe this isn't a solution for everyone, but I'd think it should work for most...
    It's been working for me too, for about six months now.
    How so?
    What I find interesting is that webos was so far ahead 2 years ago that the competition sill hasn't managed to catch up.
    Remember - we're talking about the OS here - not app selection or hardware.
    We'll see about hardware in a few weeks, but apps will be behind for the foreseeable future.

The OS itself OTOH is still better than IOS, Android.
    It's best at offering a combination of multi-tasking, nice fluid UI and support for everything up to 3D games. It's notificatioons are second to none and Apple just now is getting around to close this particular gap - while still behind on multi-tasking

Offering web techs plus C/C++ as programming environment is way better than keeping Apples old Objective-C Variant around.

IOS and Android in combination can cover more or less all that webos is offering - but both have parts missing - while webos covers the whole ground (multi-tasking, flash, being very open, etc...).

Err - what? Have you watched any of the Enyo presentations?
    One of the main points is that the layout can be automatically varied with the available screen size.
    Besides - while Enyo offers helpful functionality to manage the layout - I'm sure you can pretty much build anything you like.

You have studied a lot of webos and WP7/8 source code and API documentation?
    I hope you have something solid to back up these comments because it sounds like you're just making this up out of thin air.

OK, you convinced me in absolute WebOS superiority and I'm truly glad WebOS win the race.
    And when I thought about MS again I do see indeed they will not integrate full Office, Sharepoint, Exchange support or XBox live services in WP7/WP8 or Windows 8. MS will certainly try to put spotlight on some nonexistent services, because they can't deliver high business integration or lure significant developers in their camp.

Sorry.
    Last edited by chalx; 06/09/2011 at 09:14 AM.
    They lost me here:

"HP has delivered an appealing design with the 9.7-inch TouchPad. The device has a nice, black bezel, it's thin and lightweight, and it appears to have the kind of design points that consumers are looking for in a tablet design. That alone gives it an advantage over uglier competitors."

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    How not to become troll with all that nonsense.
    I have considered the different accounts for different appt types before, but its just a convoluted work around. I get what they are trying to accomplish, but they are dropping the ball for legacy palm users. We were used to doing something one way. All I want are different colored calendars for different accounts with a flipping dot on the appts to signify their category. Our database sets appts for them and it was easier with the 755's to make the different appts types different for glanceable information.
    isnt this something simple that could be added through homebreew? couldent the ubercalender patch add this real easily?
  19.    #39  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad Tablet to Go on Sale July 1 in US
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS,
    June 9, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...gewanted=print

NEW YORK (AP) HP says its TouchPad tablet will make its debut in the United States on July 1 in two versions for $500 and $600.

It's the first tablet that uses the webOS operating system, which HP bought along with Palm Inc. last year for $1.8 billion. Hewlett-Packard Co. has previously made tablets based on Windows, but webOS is a cellphone operating system, making the TouchPad more like the iPad than a PC.

The price of the TouchPad also matches that of the iPad. The two versions come with 16 and 32 gigabytes of memory and connect to the Internet only with Wi-Fi.

HP says AT&T Inc. will sell TouchPads that work on its wireless network later this summer.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I don't think so.

Windows only has 2 things going for it:
    1: A zilion applications that people are used to
    2: Familiarity of the interface

With Windows 8 on an ARM device both points go out the window.
    The metro UI is new and unfamiliar and hasn't been a runaway success on Phones. No reason to assume it will suddenly be more popular on a tablet.
    And while MS will surely bring out a ported version of Office recompiled for an ARM Tablet running W8, most other windows applications people are used to will not run on such a device.
    So app-wise W8 on ARM will have MS behind IOS, Android and by then even webos (when W8 appears in 2012, HP will have had 6-12 months to get apps ported to webos).

And the interface of many windows apps is still likely to be clunky compared to the other, by then established, mobile platforms.

It's possible that MS overcomes all that - but not very likely IMHO. Not in 2012.

My prediction (just for 2012):
    IPad will still be number one with increasing growth by Android (just like on phones and for similar reasons - there will just be a zillion Android tablets catering to all tastes and wallets).
    webos and BB will fight over 3rd place with webos getting ahead of BB.
    MS with W8 will struggle to get established in spite of a big and expensive marketing push and MS will publish a statement saying that they are in for the long rung.

Beyond that it gets cloudy. Android will probably beat IOS and become number 1 also in Tablets. So many companies pushing it and the only platform with the app market numbers to challenge Apple in the foreseeable future.

BB will fail because RIM - like Palm before - will eventually find out that they aren't big enough to compete with the big boys. By then MS will eventually pass BB - MS is big and stubborn and has the resources to get through the desert for a while. But MS is post-peak and is struggling everywhere and all it's old dominions are under attack or becoming irrelevant. With sinking share value and profits it will have a harder time conquering market share. And their profits are under attack even in the markets they still dominate (Windows, Office).

That leaves webos as the likely 3rd place OS - assuming webos doesn't tank by 2012 and HP has the determination to see this through.

The wild cards are Meego and Ubuntu. Meego has been weakened by MS cooperation with Nokia. And without Nokia betting on it Meego is probably doomed.
    Considering the way Canonical changed the Ubuntu UI with the new Unity interface I'm that Canonical is making a bet that they can compete with MS and others on the Tablet market. Most of the changes for Unity make most sense on a Tablet - not so much on a desktop. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been negotiations with big asian manufacturers who are looking for a good OS option that comes without strings and licencing worries that they can put on cheap mass produced hardware that will undercut products like IPad and TP or any W8-based tablets/slates. Recent announcement by Asus to put Ubuntu on several Netbook models and Mark Shuttleworths remark about 200 m Ubuntu machines by 2014 point in that direction.
    You mean windows on phones wasn't succesfull?
    Okay please can you tell me how webOS that debuted in 2009 and WP7 that debuteed in 2010 which is more succesful? WPz has more apps than webos less than a year into its exxistence and has more usershare than webos - and you said not succesful?
    Secondly, with Nokia that sells more phones than RIM,APPLE are hoping on the WP7 train and that would overtake iOS in some years + Mango is a big step forward,

Windows 8 is the only competitor that can wrestle iPad into second place, microsoft has developers in a short while WP7 has thousands of apps (and growing) also the Windows which has over 90% OF OS users is going to take ipad down- its windows people would buy it not to mention that the $$$ than MS has and can throw away to make it succesful it threw $500mil for kinect advertising and it is the fastest selling device ever also anotherr $500mmi for WP7 and it overtook webOS in apps and marketshare, and is taking iOS down
    In 2012 iPad would be on top but with low share. Because of PB, Touchpad ( which am buying when the 3G version is out) and horde of honeycombs tablet then when Win 8 is out, people would rush en mass and get it but in 2013 iPad is already down not only bcos of windows bcos of webOS lovers like me,QNX lovers and andriod lovers
    Nobody knows what a touchpad is weeks to july 1st still no marketing and ad is that how to be on top ?
    Sorry to kinda bust your bubble but you were very incorrect
    I agree with the first place, win 8 is awesome - that split keyboard ( which iOS 5 stole) and the snap feature super cool + ms has bazzilion developers
    Factors affecting MS
    -it has $$$ to spend
    - it has developers many of em
    - windows has over 90% of OS share so developers would of course jump to it
    - it is windows an established brand ppk wld but it
    -it is awesome
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12