Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Since I'm running 1.4.5 on the Pre, how will the Palm Profile work? If I understand correctly, the 2.0 profiles are incompatible with 1.4 profiles. So do I need to create a new profile, can I move the existing profile to the TouchPad & start a new one for the Pre... what happens to my apps?
  2. link375's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #2  
    The touchpad isn't out yet.. You'll have to find out when it comes out.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #3  
    Everything you have heard about multiple palm profiles are guesstimations. We know that there are differences between but not much else. So I would wait until the TouchPad comes out to give any kind of answer.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  4. #4  
    All good questions; I have the same concerns. We shall see!
  5. #5  
    My guess is 1.x won't be compatible but you'll be able to have multiple 2.x devices attached to a profile.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    My guess is 1.x won't be compatible but you'll be able to have multiple 2.x devices attached to a profile.
    And that's cool w/ me, as long as Sprint will sell me a Pre 3!!!
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, but when will they sell us a Pre 3? If the TouchPad is out this month, it would be a mighty insult to tell loyal Palm customers to either ditch their old device or re-buy any app they happened to purchase. Granted, that's what I've come to expect from Palm, legendary breaker of promises, but I retain a sliver of hope.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    Yeah, but when will they sell us a Pre 3? If the TouchPad is out this month, it would be a mighty insult to tell loyal Palm customers to either ditch their old device or re-buy any app they happened to purchase. Granted, that's what I've come to expect from Palm, legendary breaker of promises, but I retain a sliver of hope.
    Agreed. That's why, even though I want one day 1, I'm waiting to see what this community has to say about compatibility before I drop the bones.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Agreed. That's why, even though I want one day 1, I'm waiting to see what this community has to say about compatibility before I drop the bones.
    I totally agree and am doing the same thing.
  10. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #10  
    +1.4.5
    Everybody wants some!..
  11. #11  
    Maybe HP will just say:

    "even though profile of 1.4.5 cannot be transferred to 2.0, we will make sure your purchased apps can be used on both 1.4.5 and 2.x devices, A.K.A. we are making things right for ya!"
  12. #12  
    great question...i will be watching this thread...would be a shame to start over
  13. #13  
    given the differences between the touchpad and current (and soon to be released) phones, i'd have to imagine your profile can work with both.

    ie: part of the profile is for touchpad and future tablets, while the otehr part is for phones.

    i mean, realistically, would you expect your app layout on your phone to line up with whats on your touch pad? that doesn't even make sense. especially when you factor in all the carrier specific stuff.

    there's 0 chance HP didn't plan for that.

    the reason the profiles were incompatible (2.0 to 1.4.5) was due to (if i remember correctly) the changes in the DB and structure of the app launcher. Anyone who's played with both versions can understand how different the two could be. for the profiles to not work together the touchpad would have to be using the same info in your phone profile.
    it's much more likely that the touchpad profile and phone prophile will since which apps belong to the profile, and thats it.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Maybe HP will just say:

    "even though profile of 1.4.5 cannot be transferred to 2.0, we will make sure your purchased apps can be used on both 1.4.5 and 2.x devices, A.K.A. we are making things right for ya!"
    Not only is there noting to indicate they would say "we are making things right for you" in this case, the above statement is factually incorrect. The profile of 1.4.5 can indeed be transferred to 2.0
  15. #15  
    Has anyone heard any new info since the start of preorders? I already preordered my 16gb from best buy, and of course they wouldn't know.

    I probably have 75-100 dollars worth of apps, and would be seriously peeved if they don't work on both devices. Still psyched about the touchpad though. Can't wait for the first.
  16. rwhidden's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #16  
    See my message

    HP and Palm general discussion
    Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Farewell Thread
    So long webOS, been nice knowing you

    about my experience after sending email to HP CEO Leo A. and the fact Palm Profile 1.4.5 will not be supported with 2.2/3.0 devices. The only available phone with 2.2 is the Veer.

    Cheers, Ray
  17. #17  
    i need some concrete answer to these thread questions before i buy a TP...and if it is to be that i have to start a new profile why can't HP find a way to recognize the apps that i purchased from my old profile....I bought a lot of APPS!!!!!!!!!!!! alot and will not re buy the same apps....
  18. #18  
    Can the Pre Plus be updated or is it in the same boat as the Pri Minus

    Bought at Verizon
  19. #19  
    The thing for me, and it might be different for you, is i'm more bummed by the emulator mode than my apps not carrying over. I'm not going to want angry birds on my touchpad if it is just 3.1 inches. Not worth it.

    I still want my apps, and stuff carrying over, and i definitely don't want to have to create a new profile, but appwise i really wouldn't enjoy the apps in emulator mode.

    Just my opinion.( and by the way all three reps i have talked to have said the profiles are compatible, whatever that means. )
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    Can the Pre Plus be updated or is it in the same boat as the Pri Minus

    Bought at Verizon
    Same boat sorry to say. Thats why they're doing the 50 dollar rebate for all pre-, pixi, pre plus, and pixi plus owners.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions