Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    SMS with the TouchPad is not intended to be working yet. Some of you have various behavior (works halfway, etc). However, according to HP, the Veer will get an update (as has been stated in the past events leading up to today's release) that will enable the SMS functionality.

The Pre3 will most likely work immediately out of the box once it's released (as also stated in past media events).

Currently, only the Veer and Pre3 have been confirmed to have this type of SMS functionality. There is no information (as of today) available for any of the older devices that are not the Veer and Pre3.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    i think the main questions are these 2

1) if you change something on your 1.4.5 pre, does it auto update on your tp?
    2) if you change something on your 3.0 tp, does it auto update on your 1.4.5 pre profile?
    Can i get a little snarky now? ;-)

1. There is an initial 1-way sync that puts your existing apps and accounts on the Touchpad. That's it. One. So, no, any new apps purchased on the Pre, new accounts set up on the Pre, or modifications to accounts on the Pre after that initial sync will not move to the Touchpad.

2. There is an initial 1-way sync from the Pre to the Touchpad. Nothing you do on the Touchpad goes back to the Pre.

If you look at your profile online at http://palm.com/profile you will simply see both devices listed, with the same options for each (report the device lost, wipe the device, or DL the Doctor). There are no options to perform another sync manually.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Can i get a little snarky now? ;-)

1. There is an initial 1-way sync that puts your existing apps and accounts on the Touchpad. That's it. One. So, no, any new apps purchased on the Pre, new accounts set up on the Pre, or modifications to accounts on the Pre after that initial sync will not move to the Touchpad.

2. There is an initial 1-way sync from the Pre to the Touchpad. Nothing you do on the Touchpad goes back to the Pre.

If you look at your profile online at http://palm.com/profile you will simply see both devices listed, with the same options for each (report the device lost, wipe the device, or DL the Doctor). There are no options to perform another sync manually.
    I understand that too. I guess I was more or less thinking about adding/removing contacts and such. Which, since it all is sync'd up to the cloud, both the pre- and touchpad should update correctly? or am I thinking wrong here? Apps Im not worried about really. i dont wanna use pre apps on the touchpad anyhow.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    just trying to make sure before i get one that Im not missing anything thats gonna tick me off after the fact
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Correct...your accounts are dealing w/ whatever services they're provisioned for (Gmail, Y!, Exchange, FB, etc) and devices connect and sync w/ those services independently. The sync state of those accounts is not stored in your Palm profile, only the account definition.

Along those lines, if you changed your Gmail password, you'd need to update the account on both devices.

I guess the best way to look at this is you now have two distinct profiles...they just happen to be managed by the same username (your email address).
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    ok...thank you guys...i was assuming that you had to move your profile over to the TP hence erasing your pre- profile from your phone....from what I gather from Gregg's posting is you migrate(copy) your pre- profile one single time to your TP

I can live with this....off to walmart I go
    65fastback likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    ok...thank you guys...i was assuming that you had to move your profile over to the TP hence erasing your pre- profile from your phone....from what I gather from Gregg's posting is you migrate(copy) your pre- profile one single time to your TP

I can live with this....off to walmart I go
    woo hoo! Its great to have these forums to get most of your main concerns out of the way. Let us know how your experience with TP turns out!
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    I understand that too. I guess I was more or less thinking about adding/removing contacts and such. Which, since it all is sync'd up to the cloud, both the pre- and touchpad should update correctly? or am I thinking wrong here? Apps Im not worried about really. i dont wanna use pre apps on the touchpad anyhow.
    That's the part that bugs me. They should work from the same contacts info, but I guess they don't.

Sounds like this is the plan:

• Sync profile the one magical time.
    • When Pre 3 comes out, log in to it with my profile and let it update.
    • Reset the TouchPad.
    • Re-sync with my new Pre 3 which should then stay in sync.
    This was a very good implementation by HP considering the logistical nightmares that would have come with trying to actually pair the profiles.

Obviously pairing profiles would have been highly unlikely given what we know about how the profiles are stored between webOS 1.x and webOS 3.x, but HP managed to give a good chunk of your existing profile to your TouchPad without essentially killing your Pre.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123