1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. I have my fingers crossed for TouchPad to be a huge success. Please refer to the link to reach the rest of this article.

Take care,

Jay

HP's TouchPad Might Be iPad's Top Challenger: 10 Reasons Why

By: Don Reisinger, 2011-06-02

HP's TouchPad Might Be iPad's Top Challenger: 10 Reasons Why - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

News Analysis: HP’s TouchPad is still a few months away from release, but it has the features and design points that could make this tablet the biggest threat to the iPad yet.

Hewlett-Packard has been saying for quite some time now that it has big plans for the tablet space. And earlier this year, it took the first step in proving that with the announcement of its TouchPad tablet. The device will include the company’s new WebOS platform, a 9.7-inch display and several other features that HP says will make it a force to be reckoned with in the tablet market.

Of course, Apple fans who currently enjoy running their iPads disagree. They see HP as yet another in a long line of companies that doesn’t understand what today’s tablet buyer is after. As a result, they believe in no uncertain terms that the TouchPad will die an early death as it tries and fails to compete with their beloved iPad.

However, those folks might be wrong. There are undoubtedly several devices in the tablet space that won’t be able to match the iPad 2. But the TouchPad might prove to be different. In fact, the TouchPad might just be Apple’s top competitor in the mobile market when it launches over the summer.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I agree with some of his points but these two are a bit off:

Quote Originally Posted by eweek
    2. HP controls software design

The secret to Apple’s success has been control over its mobile operating system, iOS. Other companies, like Motorola and Samsung, have been using Google’s Android. HP is a different story. Like Apple, the tech giant has its own, unique operating system that it controls, WebOS, which it acquired in its buyout of Palm. That should help it deliver more unique features and offer updates more quickly than tablet makers that rely upon Android. WebOS could prove to be central to the TouchPad competing well against the iPad 2.
    Does this guy not read the news?!? HP just made statements about licensing WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by eweek
    3. PC plans are important

HP has also said it plans to bring WebOS to its line of PCs. Considering the company sells millions of PCs every year, that simple addition could prove integral to its ability to compete against Apple in the tablet market. After all, if consumers and enterprise customers try out WebOS on a laptop and like what they find, they might be far more willing to buy a tablet running the operating system. Bringing WebOS to PCs is a smart move on HP’s part.
    I think Joshua Topolsky said it best when he said, "You know what the first thing people are going to do when they fire up their new HP Win8 laptop with WebOS?.. Turn off WebOS." WebOS is great on mobile devices but just bloatware on a PC unless HP changed around their strategy for this by allowing your PC to communicate with WebOS devices through a lightweight Synergy connector but so far they have confirmed their strategy is dumping another OS on top of an OS which is stupid.
    Well, the iPad has established itself so well now that it is like "Jell-O" to the world of gelatin. When I sit somewhere and use my old slate TabletPC I am constantly asked "ooh, is that an iPad? Can it play Angry Birds?" Unfortunately, the Touchpad has along way to go before it can overcome that hurdle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Of course, Apple fans who currently enjoy running their iPads disagree. They see HP as yet another in a long line of companies that isn't named Apple.
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I agree with some of his points but these two are a bit off:

Does this guy not read the news?!? HP just made statements about licensing WebOS

I think Joshua Topolsky said it best when he said, "You know what the first thing people are going to do when they fire up their new HP Win8 laptop with WebOS?.. Turn off WebOS." WebOS is great on mobile devices but just bloatware on a PC unless HP changed around their strategy for this by allowing your PC to communicate with WebOS devices through a lightweight Synergy connector but so far they have confirmed their strategy is dumping another OS on top of an OS which is stupid.
    I'd turn off win8 looks like crap and hardly usable, I'll be using windows 7 for awhile longer till Microsoft figures out this isn't what people want for desktop PC's or laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    I'd turn off win8 looks like crap and hardly usable, I'll be using windows 7 for awhile longer till Microsoft figures out this isn't what people want for desktop PC's or laptops.
    You're missing the point...
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    I'm sure you'll be able to customize windows 8 depending on the hardware you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Well, the iPad has established itself so well now that it is like "Jell-O" to the world of gelatin. When I sit somewhere and use my old slate TabletPC I am constantly asked "ooh, is that an iPad? Can it play Angry Birds?" Unfortunately, the Touchpad has along way to go before it can overcome that hurdle.
    At least the TP can play angry birds at launch
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    you know that article is a fail from the start because of this line...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    News Analysis: HP’s TouchPad is still a few months away from release
    really?! the article comes out 6/2 and he says TP is still a few months away?
    <sigh> Well, I guess there's no getting around it - folks are watching this rollout as a head-to-head competition with the iPad. Doubtful this generation of Touchpad can really make any dent in iPad popularity, though I expect it to do pretty well.

It's just a first-gen of at least several devices. It's feature-competitive with the iPad 1, the market leader when design began. As they work out the bugs of the OS, and find weak spots in the hardware, HP will refine and refine, and I expect this time next year there will be a pretty sweet Touchpad. THAT's when the comparisons should begin, imho.

Still gonna buy a Touchpad 1, of course, but anyone expecting the TP release to dent iPad sales significantly is bound to be disappointed. It's a new OS, a new market space, and the first effort of mega-company HP with this OS/form-factor.

Give it some time, sez I.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I don't get WebOS on the PC. It seems like they are doing it just because they can. How will it be different than the HTML/Javascript widget engines like Konfabulator/Yahoo Widgets, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    I don't get WebOS on the PC. It seems like they are doing it just because they can. How will it be different than the HTML/Javascript widget engines like Konfabulator/Yahoo Widgets, etc?
    i don't think they've released enough info to really understand how webOS on PC's would work. But i think it would be neat if i could take advantage of Synergy from my laptop. right now i can do all my text/aim/gtalk in a single app on my phone. it would be neat if i turn on my computer pick up where i left of without having to have a bunch of different apps open on my PC.

I imagine I would be able to pass my phone and video calls to my laptop in the same manner. And i wouldn't be surprised if new HP computers took advantage of touch to share.
    Oh no. Don Reisinger is really a fantastic *****. I can't possibly read any of his work without getting upset. If he is for the TouchPad, we should all be worried.

But then, as my grandfather used to say, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    It should be noted the author didn't have much faith in webos in Feburary and now has completely changed his opinion.

HP TouchPad Euphoria Is Premature: 10 Reasons Why - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com - eWeek Mobile
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    It should be noted the author didn't have much faith in webos in Feburary and now has completely changed his opinion.

HP TouchPad Euphoria Is Premature: 10 Reasons Why - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com - eWeek Mobile
    Hi all, Perhaps seeing is believing! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    they play this games all the time.

this type of fake analysis only adds the dream that ipad's price is justified and everybody should compete at that price point, which is a lie. Apple's stuff are always more expensive than the products really worth, they are selling at the price because their cult following, everybody else selling at the same price is heading to the pit.