Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Qualcomm conference in San Diego showing flash 10.1 running on the Touchpad.

*sigh* I wish there was no Flash at all.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, looked good to me. i think the begning stuttered a bit just because it was buffering. very nice -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    "So that's pretty smooth!"

No, no it isn't. It's embarrassing. You know what is actually pretty smooth? Native hardware-accelerated H264 video rendering using HTML5. All modern smartphones and tablets out there support it. It's more efficient (in processing time and battery life) and isn't any more difficult to implement.

Every Flash demo shows off stuttering video at 12 frames per second and tries to pretend that it is relevant and compelling. They can't show off anything other than video (which, again, is better handled by HTML5) because none of the other preexisting Flash content works well on touchscreen devices.

Flash is a disaster, and this looks awful. It will be the first thing that I disable.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Sad.
    Flash videos on my Pre 2 play better than what this demo showed. I'm pretty sure it was because he was still buffering the video at like 720 off of WiFi b or something. *shudder*.

I have absolutely no complaints about Flash running on my Pre 2 and look forward to how cleanly it will run on the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    "So that's pretty smooth!"

No, no it isn't. It's embarrassing. You know what is actually pretty smooth? Native hardware-accelerated H264 video rendering using HTML5. All modern smartphones and tablets out there support it. It's more efficient (in processing time and battery life) and isn't any more difficult to implement.

Every Flash demo shows off stuttering video at 12 frames per second and tries to pretend that it is relevant and compelling. They can't show off anything other than video (which, again, is better handled by HTML5) because none of the other preexisting Flash content works well on touchscreen devices.

Flash is a disaster, and this looks awful. It will be the first thing that I disable.
    Quoted for godlike truth.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Looks very jerky!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    So right now, Touchpad has flash 10.1, Playbook has flash 10.2 and the Xoom has flash 10.3.
    stuttered like crazy, which is interesting, because we've seen it running better. I wonder if it had to do with the other stuff going on in the website.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i don't know but from what i saw, it stuttered in the begning and smoothed out as it played.... it just seemed like it took a bit to buffer.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    God-like truth aside, there's tons of flash content out there and I'd rather my device be able to support it than not. Not a comment on the video, didn't watch it.

It's also a selling point. It's in all of our best interests that this device sells.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    luckily I couldn care less about flash. I dont like movies, which only leaves flash ads. (and that I can do withut) However, that was a slightly disappointing demo. (im still buying a TP though)
    And what's with TP HTML5 support?
    I thought HP was going forward with HTML5!

The demo is horrible IMHO!
    Probably a little bit of buffering but still, it looks like my old notebook.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    From the author of the video:

The results were impressive, as he was getting Flash content directly off the Web and Wi-Fi speeds at the Qualcomm conference were less than satisfactory. In the video, I make an initial comment that it seems "jerky" but everything seemed to smooth out pretty well thereafter. And that may have been the initial jerkiness that I often see with any Flash video, anyway.

Read more: HP shows off TouchPad tablet doing Flash video | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Native hardware-accelerated H264 video rendering using HTML5. All modern smartphones and tablets out there support it. It's more efficient (in processing time and battery life) and isn't any more difficult to implement.
    More efficient it may be, but it's still quite new and it's still evolving. This is why most sites don't yet support it, instead providing Flash video. There are also sites which use Flash for navigation, and whatever you personally may feel about them, they do exist, they are important for some people, and that makes it relevant to include Flash.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    These people seem to be satisfied with Flash speed on the Touchpad:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/hp-...ash-video-too/

For folks who are worried about the HP Touchpad's performance when it comes to Flash (addendum: most of you!), great news. At the Qualcomm conference this week, HP showed off its Touchpad demonstrating a Flash video which runs out of the box, and performance seems to be pretty good. There was a bit of lag and jerkiness at the beginning but as the video continued, it became smoother.
    (emphasis added)

Of course, they then give the standard Flash vs HTML5 lines, but it's not as bad as you guys want it to be. Actually, Flash wasn't event that bad on my Pre 2, and viewing the demo showed jerkiness, then smooth playback from the Pre 2. I imagine a dual-core 1.2GHz 1GB RAM tablet will perform much better.

Just stop taking the Jobs party line as gospel. It won't be forever that Flash will perform poorly on mobile. It's funny that you expect more cores, more speed, and more RAM from mobile devices every few months, yet you expect Flash to still be laggy even if they come out with a 2GHz quad-core mobile device.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It's apparent the TouchPad isn't going to have a plethora of applications on launch so I think it goes without saying that HP will attempt to push Flash as a selling point.

The general consumer doesn't know the difference between Flash and HTML 5; with that said, let's hope those that walk-into Best Buy in the coming weeks and demo both a TouchPad and iPad 2 don't choose the iPad 2 over the TouchPad due to some Flash issues they experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Just stop taking the Jobs party line as gospel. It won't be forever that Flash will perform poorly on mobile. It's funny that you expect more cores, more speed, and more RAM from mobile devices every few months, yet you expect Flash to still be laggy even if they come out with a 2GHz quad-core mobile device.
    Forums[/i]
    It is still very processor intensive today!
    Even worse are the plethora security holes flash has.

Jobs was right. Let it die. Until then use it against them HP and have it, but for gods sake don't show demos that make your product look bad!! If its not done don't show it! Blah!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast