Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone on these threads seem to think of the touchpad as a general use, play device (over generalization of course), but does anyone else see this as a really nice WORK platform?
    I do. I am a photography major, and I am constantly working with my professors, and showing work and need many sessions (cards) of Evernote running, etc to keep up with my notes. This is the only platform that has made me comfortable in saying I won't use a PC for my normal computer usage anymore. Anyone else??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I agree.

Problem here is people are too tied up with apps and wanting to be apple.

I agree with Rubenstein that apps may be important, but what is more important is content, which is what HP is delivering.
    If Teamviewer/logmein/vnc launches an app for webOS i will be buying one for all my employees as this means they will not need a laptop and be able to work from anywhere.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    If Teamviewer/logmein/vnc launches an app for webOS i will be buying one for all my employees as this means they will not need a laptop and be able to work from anywhere.
    Can I work for you =D

Apotheker specifically said yesterday that he wants TouchPad to have the right mix of apps for the Prosumer (professional/consumer) and enterprise:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post2980604
  6.    #6  
    I have been hearing a lot about companies buying iPads for their employees, but not knowing what to do with them. It seems like WebOS has potential to give the employees more power in their fingertips than just a glorified old school PDA (iPad/unitaskers).

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    One challenge I have with the policy at work is that any BYO device that accesses the network via Citrix/VPN has to have anti-virus software install. That rules out accessing the Co. network via any tablet for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    One challenge I have with the policy at work is that any BYO device that accesses the network via Citrix/VPN has to have anti-virus software install. That rules out accessing the Co. network via any tablet for us.
    How is that policy worded exactly?
  9.    #9  
    Called me ignorant, but since the Touchpad won't have a gigantic userbase won't it be less susceptible to common viruses? (The old Apple mantra).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    Called me ignorant, but since the Touchpad won't have a gigantic userbase won't it be less susceptible to common viruses? (The old Apple mantra).

Old Apple Mantra? Isn't that still the mantra... LOL
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    As enthusiastic as I am about the TP, I suspect it's going to very much be a "consumption device", and that "production" work is still going to be done on more powerful machines.

In your case, I think it will be great for showing your work - but if the work you do is anything like my daughter's (I've been out of the photog business for a long time) you'll still do your photoshop (or whatever tool) on other hardware, and show it on the TP.

I'm anticipating that a lot of the work I do will be done with the a Citrix connector.
    Now if they can get GOOD to make an app for them, then we are in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Interesting. I can understand VPN, but Citrix policies can be set to isolate the device's storage, which would negate the need for virus scanners when doing a Citrix connection.
    Apple anti-virus program: "These are not the exploits you are looking for..."
    Nope, now it's, "I don't know what's wrong with your computer..."
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm planning to get a tablet soon, whether it's a Touchpad or an iPad2 (the new Samsung 10.1 tablet is another possibility, although I'm not terribly fond of Android OS). I'm waiting to see what the Touchpad shows right out of the gate before deciding. If they seem to have the apps rolling in and there's a lot of excitement about it, I'll likely buy one.

Having a tablet will be a HUGE convenience for when I go to client meetings. 99 times out of 100 all I need at these meetings is to be able to look things up, check emails, make notes for myself, and *maybe* fix something on a client website. I'm sick of lugging my laptop to meetings for those purposes, and they're all things that could be handled by a tablet.
    some work. yes. not all. no tablet is powerful enough for many professional needs.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I am hoping for an RDC client. With that and the VPN i can work from anywhere. Oh wait... maybe i dont want that then....
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    I agree.

Problem here is people are too tied up with apps and wanting to be apple.

I agree with Rubenstein that apps may be important, but what is more important is content, which is what HP is delivering.
    Doesn't content come by way of applications? Yes, you have the web to deliver content, but a lot of the web (like Windows, for example) isn't designed for a touch-driven device.
  20.    #20  
    For heavy work (Photoshop/Illustrator) I will still use my desktop. And even for being on the road, for backing up my images I will need my netbook...which makes me a little sad. But the majority of my studies/readings/writing/brainstorming/showing off will be the Touchpad. It will be my digital journal of ideas and brainstorming. I already treat my Pre- like that, and with more surface to work in I will be a happy camper!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast