Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    As a pilot, I would love to have a TouchPad. Each airport we fly to has from about 5 pages (small airports) to about 50 pages (DFW, ATL, ORD, etc) of maps of the airport, arrival & departure procedures along w/the approach plates we use to fly different instrument approaches.

Alaskan Airlines has been approved to get iPads for their pilots, but it would be so much easier to switch between pages using stacks/cards and webOS. Whether you had 1 stack for the current airport in use or if you had different stacks for the airport: 1 for arrivals, 1 for departures, 1 for the airport maps & another stack for the instrument approaches.

Anyway you look at it, webOS would be perfect for this, IMO. My airline is currently testing the iPad, but sure hope they give the TouchPad a look.
    The one thing that's still lacking in the Touchpad design, imho, is lack of presentation software, or a method to connect the pad to a display/projector.

If you're presenting to 2 or 3 people, I could maybe see just using the pad itself as a display device. It'd be far better to have it be able to throw an image onto some display.
    I plan on using it basically as an additional monitor for keeping track of email/meetings while at my desk and for notes during meetings - essentially what I use my Pre for now. Depending on the VPN support, it would be useful as a mobile desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Doesn't content come by way of applications? Yes, you have the web to deliver content, but a lot of the web (like Windows, for example) isn't designed for a touch-driven device.
    Well, yes and no.

What i'm referring to is that most people think quantity of apps is 'content'. No, it's not.

What you want are quality apps. What i mean by that and for example would be the kindle app. That is quality, and that is content.

I don't care that there are 500 pointless light sabre apps in a catalogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    The one thing that's still lacking in the Touchpad design, imho, is lack of presentation software, or a method to connect the pad to a display/projector.

If you're presenting to 2 or 3 people, I could maybe see just using the pad itself as a display device. It'd be far better to have it be able to throw an image onto some display.
    I agree completely. That was one of the major things I was looking forward to for having a Touchpad replace my laptop. I really just wanted to share my presentations from anywhere. I won't be making any presentations (even using Open Office's powerpoint solution) on the Touchpad, but as a consumption/presentation device it would have been a God send. Sadly, they decided to ignore the video out and thus, making it that much harder for me to justify spending 600 bucks on one. : /
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    If Teamviewer/logmein/vnc launches an app for webOS i will be buying one for all my employees as this means they will not need a laptop and be able to work from anywhere.
    That may work for your workplace, but not for many larger ones. Anything that requires an agent is problematic from numerous perspectives (maintenance, access, security, etc.), and many places outright forbid them. (I'm still trying to get the last vestiges of DameWare off the network.) An RDP client (especially one that supports the Win2008/Vista/7 version) would be the best thing possible.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  7.    #27  
    Although there isn't an HDMI out or anything, I am sure when tablet become the norm companies could make receiver devices that work with micro USB to project or whatever. Or even a program that enables the USB to be a video out...? I dunno. Programmers are smart...come up with something! Hehe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, there are micro usb to hdmi cables already, so im sure a software update or hopefully even a patch will help with that -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    All depends on how the hardware is connected before you can get to software/patches.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    Although there isn't an HDMI out or anything, I am sure when tablet become the norm companies could make receiver devices that work with micro USB to project or whatever. Or even a program that enables the USB to be a video out...? I dunno. Programmers are smart...come up with something! Hehe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They already have wireless projectors. I'm not familiar with how they function, but I'm sure one could be developed that is tablet friendly, if it doesn't already exist.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12