1.    #1  
    I feel this is a different enough subject to deserve a new thread. Here's the original if you want to be brought up to date

We haven't even gotten TouchPads in our hands and yet they already are going to be obsolete.

No, I'm not talking about the ridiculous spec war. I'm not even really talking innovation. This is different. This is a game changer.

I am no longer worried about how the TouchPad stacks up against Apple. I have a strong feeling Apple as we know it is about to go back to being hipster Apple....

This is why:

Microsoft's Windows 8 tablets are set to run their WP mobile OS side-by-side with Windows 8. On the tablet (and PCs too!) they will have a full feature PC OS with all the awesome intuitiveness and usability we expect from mobile OS's.

Think about that. Those that were unsure if a tablet was worth the money over a netbook or some laptops? Now, tablets will fully contend as serious laptop replacements.

Yes, they won't be out til next year, but even with my engineer's paycheck $600 is alot of money to spend when I can honestly wait a year and truly replace my laptop while gaining the features of a tablet.

I was considering a TouchPad, but I don't need one. I think I can wait a year and get more for my $600.

I think this announcement could hurt all tablet sales. Microsoft is the biggest dog in software and, well, we should have seen this coming.

I'm now concerned with the future of any mobile OS other than WP and iOS. iOS I feel is also going to lose alot of market share to these devices but they will always keep the users that are part of the windowless, walled garden that is apple.. To think otherwise you would be fooling yourself.

I have serious concerns for WebOS. If you look at my previous posts I have been a vehement defender of the OS but today, for the first time ever, I'm having serious doubts about its viability in a world of Windows full function tablets.

Its one thing to be able to multi-task on a tablet. Its another to run freaking windows.

My personal best hope is that Microsoft and HP can cut some sort of deal in the future and integrate WebOS like features into WP8.

For now, I think even if WebOS takes the tablet world by storm, Microsoft is about to destroy that world and create a new one. Damn.

My biggest questions are these:
    What are you guy's thoughts on the OS for future iterations of the TouchPad?

How can WebOS tablets possibly gain the useability that Windows tablets are going to have?

Am I being realistic, or am I a crazy person?

Can anyone out there put this news in a positive light?
    Last edited by JayhawkOne; 06/02/2011 at 01:48 PM.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Interesting JayHawkOne, but there is one point about your post that is missing the mark just a bit...I am here to read more about the TouchPad but I am already a TabletPC user. In fact, one of my favorite devices is my Compaq TC1100 that was made in 2004. That is correct, 2004. I run Win 7 on it and it works just fine as a laptop replacement. In fact, many are available that fit into this category.

The reason why this device was not well known in the timeframe since the original TC1000 was released in 2001 is because of the price. In 2004 dollars my TC1100 was $3,400. As a result, there was never much attention paid to the technology until prices came down to a more reasonable level and the iPad changed public perception.

An example of competition for the Touchpad is the Fujitsu Q550, just releasing now.

FUJITSU: Fujitsu America - TabletPCs and Notebooks

What you get for the 'extra' $129 is a full blown computer that runs Win 7 and you can take notes in OneNote with a pen.

As for Win 8, as far as I can tell it is not really Win Phone 7 running on top of Win 7 it is a 'touch' layer added to the front end that looks like Win Phone 7. If MS ever releases Win Phone 7 for tablet use I will be very upset. Why? I am totally office based and need that functionality. Win Phone 7 does not handle Office!
    My only "challenge" to you is the 'I can replace my laptop with a tablet' comment.

I doubt the tablets will have quite the power of the laptops for a while.

BUT, my biggest issue is SIZE. The 10" tablets are way to small for me to replace my laptop. Now, for email / quick web surfing, etc? Yes. But, not for real business use.

I'd never want to type out full reports on a VKB and if I have to have a bluetooth keyboard with me, then it has lost SOME of the portability advantage.

I can see a place for it. But, not as a replacement for my laptop.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    u know, ive been thinking... How many different versions of windows are there? you have home, home premium, ultimate, business, plus a bunch of other random ones....

i think if ms can make the os more ubiquitous then yeah they have a shot. if they are gonna follow their model of releasing an os for this and one for that then no, it will be number two.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    As for Win 8, as far as I can tell it is not really Win Phone 7 running on top of Win 7 it is a 'touch' layer added to the front end that looks like Win Phone 7. If MS ever releases Win Phone 7 for tablet use I will be very upset. Why? I am totally office based and need that functionality. Win Phone 7 does not handle Office!
    This is where you lose me. What the difference between a layer and actual windows 7? If it looks like WP7, runs everything WP7 runs, works over all like WP7 (barks like WP7) what part about it isn't WP7?

The Windows 8 tablets look like the have both WP7(8?) and Windows 8. So not only do you get office, but you get everything else that can run on windows while getting the easy access of a mobile interface at the touch of a button.

I think you are mostly talking 'old school tablets' (laptops with touchscreen) that were and really still are quite expensive. I'm talking about this being a game changer for iPad/TouchPad class entertainment tablets especially since this OS is designed to run ARM chips (and Intel of course).

Heavy users will still need a laptop. But with windows 8 on the tablet with WP its much closer to being a laptop than any current TouchPad class tab.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    u know, ive been thinking... How many different versions of windows are there? you have home, home premium, ultimate, business, plus a bunch of other random ones....

i think if ms can make the os more ubiquitous then yeah they have a shot. if they are gonna follow their model of releasing an os for this and one for that then no, it will be number two.....
    They didn't do it with WP. I see what you are saying but we can only hope they are that stupid.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    The next version of Windows will be Windows 8. It will include the HTML5 code for touchscreen use, as well as mice/keyboard conventional use.

That means 90% of the world's computers can upgrade thier OS to this and have that capacity, however, most will not be capable, hardware wise, to use it, as mose displays are not touchscreens.

While at the onset, this sounds like an immediate game changer, it isn't - the only thing it will effect in the short term (within months of its shipping) is the smartphone arena, and to be honest, its only one of the 3 or 4 players.

It will take time for people to upgrade their hardware, or buy tablets and smartphones that will work with the new OS - even today, only a small % of consumers/corporate users upgrade to the new OS within the first year - and that is assuming that there are no hardware upgrade purchases of significance.

WebOS is not meant to replace windows; its presense on a PC is still, at best, a partner application to help communicate with other webOS devices the user may have - touchscreen capability or not.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

When did Apple products stop being hipster devices just extending itunes long arms into people's lives?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The next version of Windows will be Windows 8. It will include the HTML5 code for touchscreen use, as well as mice/keyboard conventional use.

That means 90% of the world's computers can upgrade thier OS to this and have that capacity, however, most will not be capable, hardware wise, to use it, as mose displays are not touchscreens.

While at the onset, this sounds like an immediate game changer, it isn't - the only thing it will effect in the short term (within months of its shipping) is the smartphone arena, and to be honest, its only one of the 3 or 4 players.

It will take time for people to upgrade their hardware, or buy tablets and smartphones that will work with the new OS - even today, only a small % of consumers/corporate users upgrade to the new OS within the first year - and that is assuming that there are no hardware upgrade purchases of significance.

WebOS is not meant to replace windows; its presense on a PC is still, at best, a partner application to help communicate with other webOS devices the user may have - touchscreen capability or not.

We're talking about tablets her though. As in they will run the newest version of WP and Windows 8 seamlessly. How is this not a game changer?

We are obviously talking about the future but this OS on tablets looks to be world's ahead of WebOS...

I can't think of a way, in one year or any time frame, that WebOS can morph to compete with that.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    When did Apple products stop being hipster devices just extending itunes long arms into people's lives?
    When they became too 'mainstream'

1 ghz Sprint Pre-

THIS! As I said in the other thread, I think I have only ever purchased a stand alone retail version of windows once. Every other version of windows I have owned in nearly 30 years of life was preinstalled on the computer. I have an HP box sitting at home right now that crashed and I didn't have the install disks, so it's getting linux (I am not coming out of pocket for windows as an OS I have no need).

Ohh at work, XP, and office 2003 (I know of 1 computer with office 2007).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I started feeling sorry for HP when I first saw the Windows8 demo, then I realized that it really just a layer over regular windows. The HTML bases touch applications will surve as nice, at-a-glance widgets, but I don't expect to see powerful apps utilizing that touch interface. But when it comes time to do real work, users will resort the the old UI (not really touch friendly).

I feel that this demo does however act as a proof of concept of webOS acting as a touch-based layer on windows PCs.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    THIS! As I said in the other thread, I think I have only ever purchased a stand alone retail version of windows once. Every other version of windows I have owned in nearly 30 years of life was preinstalled on the computer. I have an HP box sitting at home right now that crashed and I didn't have the install disks, so it's getting linux (I am not coming out of pocket for windows as an OS I have no need).

Ohh at work, XP, and office 2003 (I know of 1 computer with office 2007).
    This is getting off topic, but all new Windows 8 PCs = 350m+ new WP users and WebOS on HP Windows 8 PCs = 100m+ new WebOS users and all of them would then have WP as well.

I don't see you guys' point. No one is fighting for the legacy market. Not even HP.

Returning to topic:

How is running a decent mobile OS running alongside a full on OS on a tablet not better than running just a mobile OS on a tablet?

I don't know if the implications have really sunk in for a lot of you guys yet....

The only argument I've seen so far is its just a demo, just because it runs great there doesn't mean it won't be bad in real life.

Well... Thats really all we have from HP as well... And we had to make excuses for why our demos were laggy (beta etc.)
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    . The HTML bases touch applications will surve as nice, at-a-glance widgets, but I don't expect to see powerful apps utilizing that touch interface.
    We already know there will be a Windows 8 app store tho, thats old news too.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    This is getting off topic, but all new Windows 8 PCs = 350m+ new WP users and WebOS on HP Windows 8 PCs = 100m+ new WebOS users and all of them would then have WP as well.

I don't see you guys' point. No one is fighting for the legacy market. Not even HP.
    Not off topic at all, your original point was the "ecosystem" of Windows 8 syncing everything. I will hedge my bets on buying a new phone of the OS I actually like, buy the TP with the OS I actually like, and use the cloud (plus I am waiting to see WebOS for PC's be released for older boxes too).

This now allows my ecosystem to be every computer I own, not just the one new one that I would buy that may or may not have Windows 8. Look how long it took for people to buy Windows 7 machines, people ran away from Vista, not all consumers are going to be buying the Windows 8 machine at release either.

I only purchased a win 7 box when I couldn't find a decent XP box in retail still.

Just to quote you from the other thread so people aren't lost on my point...
    Unfortunately you missed the part about Microsoft integrating WP OS with Windows 8 on every Windows PC. And on their tablets. Thats essentially EVERY PC in the world.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    We're talking about tablets her though. As in they will run the newest version of WP and Windows 8 seamlessly. How is this not a game changer?

We are obviously talking about the future but this OS on tablets looks to be world's ahead of WebOS...

I can't think of a way, in one year or any time frame, that WebOS can morph to compete with that.
    JayhawkOne;

I don't think anyone doubts that what Microsoft just announced for Windows 8 is a great idea - its packing both OS's into one - that's a win/win for most PC consumers...

Does that make it a game changer now?

Well, if they released it today, yep. Even tomorrow.

But, its more likely coming in 1 - 2 years.. by then, WebOS will have matured and have a serious following, probably ranking as one of the top 3 mobile platform OS's around, above MS WP 7.

I think its a great thing, and it shows that WebOS got it right 2 years ago, as immitation truly is the best form of flattery (hi Playbook!, too), but, in the very end of all this, is the real world, and, what the consumers have to chose from today, tomorrow and next year.

Windows 8 is still in concept - its an idea being developed that they shared - no where near even alpha testing stages yet.

When it comes out, in a few years, it will compete with iOS, Android (the many, many versions), RIM (maybe), and WebOS, I believe for market share, on tablets; all of the aforementioned OS"s will have years of experience in working with consumer's needs and existing system integration - that's not an easy thing to change - not that it can't, Im just saying, that's not an easy task.

No, not a game changer - yet, IMO. Lets see in 2 years, though.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

17.    #17  
    JayhawkOne;

I don't think anyone doubts that what Microsoft just announced for Windows 8 is a great idea - its packing both OS's into one - that's a win/win for most PC consumers...

Does that make it a game changer now?

Well, if they released it today, yep. Even tomorrow.

But, its more likely coming in 1 - 2 years.. by then, WebOS will have matured and have a serious following, probably ranking as one of the top 3 mobile platform OS's around, above MS WP 7.

I think its a great thing, and it shows that WebOS got it right 2 years ago, as immitation truly is the best form of flattery (hi Playbook!, too), but, in the very end of all this, is the real world, and, what the consumers have to chose from today, tomorrow and next year.

Windows 8 is still in concept - its an idea being developed that they shared - no where near even alpha testing stages yet.

When it comes out, in a few years, it will compete with iOS, Android (the many, many versions), RIM (maybe), and WebOS, I believe for market share, on tablets; all of the aforementioned OS"s will have years of experience in working with consumer's needs and existing system integration - that's not an easy thing to change - not that it can't, Im just saying, that's not an easy task.

No, not a game changer - yet, IMO. Lets see in 2 years, though.
    This is the kind of post I was looking for!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    in theory yes win8 has everything going for it because it is running both oses... but think about that, why do we have mobile oses?
    one it is not a big a memory hog
    two its optimized for battery life
    three it is designed for very limited real estate.

so i take you back to the old proverb, you can be a jack of all trades, but a master of none.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Jay,

Just a detail: Win8 can run old x86 softwares in ARM CPU?

Because if don't, is only a "smartabletphone", like others...

And if run this softwares only with a x86 CPU, would be only the Windows with some interface; in other words, a "TabletPC"...

Until now, I'm seeing ads, ads, ads... and no real explanations about really is important...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)

I agree with all of the above but you're missing one thing -- unifying Windows across all form factors means there is yet another popular ecosystem that webOS isn't a part of.