Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Not sure if we know the answer to this, but trying to understand more so putting it out there.

If you tap to share a web page on your phone with your TP, does the TP get the entire web page sent or just a link to go get it itself? Say I am away from wifi with a wifi-only TP. Could I touch to share a web site and view it on the TP, or would the lack of a data connection mean I could not view the site at that moment?
    I believe both have to have a data connection. I do not KNOW it. But, pretty sure

However, in your scenario; you could just tether the pad to the phone and use the phone's connection as a hub for the pad.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Good point, that would work. And you are probably right as that would be the easiest way to do it. Thanks.
    The footnotes say in data coverage. I think all data is relayed through the cloud, not from device to device directly.
    We don't know exactly how it works quite yet but we do know that Touch-to-Share uses coils in both the TouchPad and the Pre3/Veer that transfer the data between the devices. It does not use any kind of cloud syncing service. That would just burn up data and battery. The messaging service they are using to sync calls and messages to the TouchPad from the Pre3 and Veer use the TouchStone V2. So if you don't have a new touchstone for your Pre3 or Veer you cant do it. However, this isn't that big of a let down... really. Who isn't going to get the newer one anyway?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    We don't know exactly how it works quite yet but we do know that Touch-to-Share uses coils in both the TouchPad and the Pre3/Veer that transfer the data between the devices. It does not use any kind of cloud syncing service. That would just burn up data and battery. The messaging service they are using to sync calls and messages to the TouchPad from the Pre3 and Veer use the TouchStone V2. So if you don't have a new touchstone for your Pre3 or Veer you cant do it. However, this isn't that big of a let down... really. Who isn't going to get the newer one anyway?
    I thought the coils on phone and TP just initiate the BT connection. If it used the coils, then they would have to constantly be connected to share...

I thought the TouchStone 2 was for location services (like location based exhibition settings) not for TTS messaging and phone calls. My impression was the TP doesn't need a TS (or need to be on a TS) to receive SMS or calls.

Please point me to this information if I missed it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I thought the coils on phone and TP just initiate the BT connection. If it used the coils, then they would have to constantly be connected to share...

I thought the TouchStone 2 was for location services (like location based exhibition settings) not for TTS messaging and phone calls. My impression was the TP doesn't need a TS (or need to be on a TS) to receive SMS or calls.

Please point me to this information if I missed it.
    Yes and No. Alot of that is half speculation half hard facts. It is possible that the data is transferred over bluetooth but I do not know. As for the TouchStone. They have not said anything hard but every time they talk about the message and call transfers they always make sure to add "once you put it on the TouchStone" and some other times they have even gone so far to say something along the lines that "by the technologies of the touchstone".
    - John Wayne
    I am 99.9% sure it is through the cloud and not bluetooth or the coil, the coil simply initiates the 'handshake'

From the website:

The next generation of Touchstone technology makes HP devices work better together. Easily share a website with your Pre3 simply by touching them together.5,6 Receive text messages and answer phone calls on your TouchPad so you don’t miss a thing.2,3,4 Start reading a website or blog on your tablet and then touch your smartphone to take it to go.5,6 We’re building more connected devices so you can have a more connected experience.

5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

6. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.
    Yes and No. Alot of that is half speculation half hard facts. It is possible that the data is transferred over bluetooth but I do not know. As for the TouchStone. They have not said anything hard but every time they talk about the message and call transfers they always make sure to add "once you put it on the TouchStone" and some other times they have even gone so far to say something along the lines that "by the technologies of the touchstone".
    Well I thought we were sure there was no NFC in the Touchpad or the phones, or was this incorrect or speculation as well? Not saying you are wrong, I just remember a tone of people talking about HP missing out on NFC, which then would mean communication via BT or WiFi radios.

Unless there is NFC built into the TP and phones, but to me this than removes the usability of answering calls/sms on the TP if it has to be near the TP. I mean we are talking a working distance of 20cm in NFC (some specs say 15cm), so roughly less than 8 inches max (probably less than that for a constant signal and of course this varies based on the specific NFC device at use).

I am thinking the ONLY way TTS works is with BT.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I am 99.9% sure it is through the cloud and not bluetooth or the coil, the coil simply initiates the 'handshake'

From the website:

The next generation of Touchstone technology makes HP devices work better together. Easily share a website with your Pre3 simply by touching them together.5,6 Receive text messages and answer phone calls on your TouchPad so you don’t miss a thing.2,3,4 Start reading a website or blog on your tablet and then touch your smartphone to take it to go.5,6 We’re building more connected devices so you can have a more connected experience.

5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

6. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.
    Am I missing it because I see nothing there that says the Touch-to-Share runs over the cloud. The only thing is says is that you need a data connection to view URLs, nothing to be said about URL sent over via TOuch-to-Share.
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post

From the website:

Well, the SMS and Phone couldn't be cloud if they don't require Wi-Fi or cellular connection as stated in number 5. I am still banking on SMS and Phone via BT unless HP incorrectly worded #5 and you have to be on a Wi-Fi network to receive calls or SMS (this doesn't make sense as it would require your phone to receive the data, send to cloud, then cloud send to TP). Phone/SMS has to be BT, or this technology will be completely non-functional.
    Well I thought we were sure there was no NFC in the Touchpad or the phones, or was this incorrect or speculation as well? Not saying you are wrong, I just remember a tone of people talking about HP missing out on NFC, which then would mean communication via BT or WiFi radios.

Unless there is NFC built into the TP and phones, but to me this than removes the usability of answering calls/sms on the TP if it has to be near the TP. I mean we are talking a working distance of 20cm in NFC (some specs say 15cm), so roughly less than 8 inches max (probably less than that for a constant signal and of course this varies based on the specific NFC device at use).

I am thinking the ONLY way TTS works is with BT.
    No there is not NFC in ether of the devices. This is why I was saying that the TouchStone communicates to the Pre3 and TouchPad. The The FCC documents said it had 2 waves lengths.
    - John Wayne
    No there is not NFC in ether of the devices. This is why I was saying that the TouchStone communicates to the Pre3 and TouchPad. The The FCC documents said it had 2 waves lengths.
    If this were the case, still a horrible scenario and makes the tech a failure. So let me get this right, your assumption is you now have to have both devices on a TS? This is not not stated anywhere in the HP requirements for TTS.

I am fully convinced at this point it's BT (now that we have talked through all the assumed possibilities), or HP left out 2 pieces of hardware you need to have in the TTS information as posted above (even though they are specific to data, profile info, and OS version).
    If this were the case, still a horrible scenario and makes the tech a failure. So let me get this right, your assumption is you now have to have both devices on a TS? This is not not stated anywhere in the HP requirements for TTS.

I am fully convinced at this point it's BT (now that we have talked through all the assumed possibilities), or HP left out 2 pieces of hardware you need to have in the TTS information as posted above (even though they are specific to data, profile info, and OS version).
    No! That is not the way it works! Just to leave it simple, We do not know exactly how it works yet. What I have said is me taking all the hints that HP has said any trying to fit them together. DO NOT take any of what I say for granted or use it to make your decisions about choosing your phone. What we do know about Touch-To-Share is that is using special coils in the devices and it may have something to do with the V2 TouchStone. It may use bluetooth, it may not.
    - John Wayne
    My understanding is this:

Authentication is done over the induction coil.

URL transfer happens over Bluetooth.

Web page download is over the normal cellular or wifi data connection.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My understanding is this:

Authentication is done over the induction coil.

URL transfer happens over Bluetooth.

Web page download is over the normal cellular or wifi data connection.

-- Rod
    That sounds reasonable. I guess we will have to wait a few weeks (less???) to know for sure! All I know is that when the TouchPad is released it better be coupled with the update to the Veer to allow all this to happen the day of, not in the coming weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Not sure if we know the answer to this, but trying to understand more so putting it out there.

If you tap to share a web page on your phone with your TP, does the TP get the entire web page sent or just a link to go get it itself? Say I am away from wifi with a wifi-only TP. Could I touch to share a web site and view it on the TP, or would the lack of a data connection mean I could not view the site at that moment?
    The touch to share just sends a link so the phone needs to download it itself (or vice versa depending on what is being shared by whom). This means they both need to have data connection. They have not shown any Playbook type connectivity where playbook uses bluetooth tethering to view phone data on the playbook in playbook resolution.

I guess you can use something similar on Touchpad but I don't think carriers would approve. Anyways, mobile hotspot is always available.