Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm pretty sure the email app is behaving strangely because he's in multi-select mode and not aware of it.

Give it another watch. Right around 1:07, before he even puts the email app in focus you'll notice that the header of the center panel is blue. When the app is full-screen it can be seen to say "Select items..." and feature a cancel button.

I think once he started working *around* it (instead of canceling it for whatever reason) the email app seemed to perform fine.
    The apps are still buggy. I really hope they continue working the apps so they run smoother. The preview did show some lag, and it's disappointing to see a demo product out on the floor in that condition.

The hardware looks nice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    As other posters have said, you seem enamored with metal housing and a pelethora of apps you love. That's great, there is a product out already for you; the touchpad is pointless to you then, though.

I am sure it sounds silly to you but I can't think of any feature the iPad, or any tablet, could possibly have that would make me use itunes or install it on my pc. That's a deal-killer for me.
    Maybe if the device was running a real desktop OS with kindle-like battery life and had a holographic display or something for $200, but that will never happen.

Having a fast, robust, portable web browser that doesn't require itunes IS better than thousands of cool apps, to me.

Yeah I know. Even as a webos fan (adding "boy" to that word is really censored? wow), I can admit webOS's multitasking is not quite the super fantastic amazing system seller others would. Android can multitask, albeit less elegantly.

There is no tablet OS with features that set it miles away from the others. It all comes down to personal preferences on the small differences.
    Although it may really sound that way, I have defended WebOS in the past but cannot defend the pricing strategy that HP is chasing after with the TouchPad. They do not have a product that at this time is worthy of the price they're seeking for it. Being "enamored" with the construction of the iPad is symbolic of the high quality in the build of the product. The TouchPad by comparison is thicker, heavier, has a lower quality screen, a smaller battery, and is completely plastic.

Do I enjoy using WebOS? Yes, yes I do. I am certainly not an app fanatic and they're frequently unnecessary to me but they are very important to the average consumer, especially for a device meant to replace the functionality of a laptop/desktop. In this day and age, it's no longer acceptable to charge $600 for a device that has the same capabilities as a $300 netbook and lacks the strongest features of its competitor, which sits at the same price.

For the record, I share the same disdain of iTunes that you do and it's the reason that the last Apple product I owned was the first iPod Classic. To accuse me of supporting Apple merely because I have pointed out that they do have legitimate successes with their products is the same as if I were to accuse you of being delusional because you defend the shortcomings of the TouchPad. Neither of us is in the right but neither of us is in the wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post
    The apps are still buggy. I really hope they continue working the apps so they run smoother. The preview did show some lag, and it's disappointing to see a demo product out on the floor in that condition.

Amen! nothing more and nothing less!

They have to work more on WebOS to be able to compete. It's not hardware anymore to blame. Now its obvious - software optimization is poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Hardware and an operating system is useless without the software to run on it. That is the entire point that SnotBoogie is making and that you're failing to grasp. Although the developers could port the apps with "minimal effort," they have no interest in WebOS. The TouchPad is priced the same as an iPad 2, and for better or worse, that is now its competition.
    You speak for developers? All of them? Maybe just a lot of them? How many exactly? Is it a paid position? What type of education was required to qualify you? What was the hiring process?

Please, do tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm not trying to argue or "jump on you."

Most of us are here in this forum because we are early adopter types and we are more or as interested in what the touchpad can and will do in the future than will do on launch day. That's what we come here to discuss.

Nothing is going to compete with the software library of iOS for at least a year, probably more, if ever. If everyone felt like you do, that software is all that matters (instead of OS ability or hardware) there would not be a reason to have an ounce of interest in anything but an iPad and iPad's would be the only tablet worth buying (which you clearly feel is the case).

Obviously you are not in that category, which is fine. I'm just glad the perfect tablet for you with all the software you seem to want already available and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    Well put, but begs the question - exactly why is he here?
    ...The TouchPad by comparison is thicker, heavier, has a lower quality screen, a smaller battery, and is completely plastic.
    Wow! I'm impressed. HP figured out a way for plastic to carry electrical currents and store data!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post

SanDisk clearly does NOT have the most current build...

/smh
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You speak for developers? All of them? Maybe just a lot of them? How many exactly? Is it a paid position? What type of education was required to qualify you? What was the hiring process?
    Please, do tell...
    Man, I really like your enthusiasm and strong will to support what you consider the best operating system, but sometime you can be overprotective. Guy doesn't have to elaborate his statement - devs still aren't biting for WebOS, and some of initially interested developers are going other way. Things will change in future if HP's strategy is good, but for now guy is IMHO absolutely right.
    The TouchPad by comparison is thicker, heavier, has a lower quality screen, a smaller battery, and is completely plastic.
    Lower quality screen? How so? I thought I was pretty up on the spec comparisons but this is news to me. Isnt' the touchpad's screen the same resolution and IPS?

I also think it's a little premature to criticize the battery. Although it will not surprise me if the ipad2's battery lasts longer, you can't just outright compare the battery spec to real world output in two totally different devices.
    Last edited by Beanis; 06/03/2011 at 06:31 AM.
    TP hardware is OK. We can argue what could be added to specs, but it's OK just how it is now. If it lose, it would be on software front.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Man, I really like your enthusiasm and strong will to support what you consider the best operating system, but sometime you can be overprotective. Guy doesn't have to elaborate his statement - devs still aren't biting for WebOS, and some of initially interested developers are going other way. Things will change in future if HP's strategy is good, but for now guy is IMHO absolutely right.
    That's the problem, overgeneralization in one area, and then specifics in another, all from a skewed point of view.
    Some developers are biting. There are what, 6,000 apps right now, and some of them from well known names. It is no more correct for one to say "developers" in general, than it is for me to counter your "some" with "developers aren't leaving" since only "some" of them are.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234