Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by PR3mier View Post
    Here is the other Computex TouchPad video from Tinhte
    definitely showed a speedy touchpad. though it had a few hiccups here and there, its nothing i wouldn't expect from an unreleased product.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by PR3mier View Post
    Here is the other Computex TouchPad video from Tinhte
    This video shows the settings and it even shows its webos 3.0.0
  3. #43  
    i didn't see anything i hadn't seen already in other videos. I mean email, browser, video etc. I'm meh on it. From what i've seen it does what every other tablet does for the most part.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i didn't see anything i hadn't seen already in other videos. I mean email, browser, video etc. I'm meh on it. From what i've seen it does what every other tablet does for the most part.
    And what tablet isn't doing what every other tablet does? What tablet is really doing the eye-popping "holy crap" stuff that no other tablet can that's out now? Where can I buy it?
  5. #45  
    You can buy it in any Apple store.
    Ipad does stuff that no other tablet can - it runs fast and smoothly.
  6. tp2386's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You can buy it in any Apple store.
    Ipad does stuff that no other tablet can - it runs fast and smoothly.
    Well what are you doing here then? Trying to sway people from the touchpad?
  7. #47  
    the quickoffice zooming is horrible... :/


    other than that, it seems to be pretty smooth!
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You can buy it in any Apple store.
    Ipad does stuff that no other tablet can - it runs fast and smoothly.
    Anything can run one app at a time fast and smoothly. ios is the only OS that embraces doing so in order to be fast and smooth. The entire OS and it's apps revolve around giving all the system resource to one thing at a time -that's it's design and purpose.

    Every other tablet OS is trying to find ways to multi-task. It's a trade off; you are never going to have a new tablet OS come out that is smoother and faster than IOS as well as true multitasking.

    Luckily there are choices out there depending on which is most important to you.
  9. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You can buy it in any Apple store.
    Ipad does stuff that no other tablet can - it runs fast and smoothly.
    Mine doesn't run smoothly all the time and mine can only run one application at a time. Kind of sucks and provides me a poor user experience.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And what tablet isn't doing what every other tablet does? What tablet is really doing the eye-popping "holy crap" stuff that no other tablet can that's out now? Where can I buy it?
    Well since you asked a specific question what tablet is doing the eye popping "holy crap" stuff?

    Ipad 2. YOu can get them at Best Buy. What's eyepopping? I can point to one thing: Garageband. There's nothing like that on a touchpad or other android tablets that i know of. So right there that's something it does touchpads and android tablets and playbooks don't. I use that cause its well known and in the keynote. But that's merely one example. There are obviously others. The apps in iPad 2 allow you to do "eyepopping" stuff that others can't do. And HP is really only showing basic features. But i'm sure one example is not enough. Let's look at two more in addition to garageband. Here are two other things among many many other things an ipad 2 can do that is not yet doable on other platforms, xoom, playbook, touchpad, etc.

    1. Akai SynthStation49 Ipad interface. This is an ipad synthesizer interface.
    Here is a demo
    sadly I can't do this on or something similar on a touchpad or xoom.

    2. Patient Diagnostics with Airstrip OB and Airstrip Cardiology. These Airstrip apps allow Doctors to monitor patients' but especially a pregnant women's vital signs while in labor, remotely in real time. There's nothing like this on touchpad at the moment.
    link to the software: AirStrip OB for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    video demo:
    In the news showing in use with real patients: by the way this was shown at this product was part of their keynote. This could save a miscarriage. save a child's life.

    If all you care about is email, and photo viewing this is fine. But if there is more then that and it's not shown in that video. Based on the videos from Feb 9 and what i've seen in every video on youtube including that one it's basics functions mostly for the touchpad. That may change in the future but all i can judge them on now is what i've seen so far. So when you ask what can others do? What is eyepopping? What wows me? I say saving lives in a hospital, a platform helping make sure my son is born without complications, or create music with hundreds of effects and samples on a full size synthesizers. And i can set it up in my home studio. Yeah that wows me much much more then being able email, view photos and look at my calender. Because every platform can do a calender now.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/02/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  11. #51  
    So software. Your answer is software.

    Any of those programs could be ported to work on any tablet with minimal effort if the developer chose to. It's not like they are using something in the OS or hardware that simply doesn't exist on competitors.

    I guess I didn't put enough emphasis on the words CAN DO in my original statement.

    I am not interested perceived so-called "killer apps". I'm asking for tablet hardware or tablet OS's that can do something that is substantially amazing that other tablets simply do not have the capability to do, due to hardware or OS limitations.

    That's like the silly arguments that PS3's are superior to Xbox's because PS3 has God of War. But you could make an argument that PS3's are superior because they have blu-ray.

    If the only amazing features you can name are killer apps simply written for a particular tablet, then my original hypothesis, that there is no stand-out amazing tablet, is correct - they are all running roughly the same hardware with OS's designed to roughly the same things.
  12. #52  
    Hardware and an operating system is useless without the software to run on it. That is the entire point that SnotBoogie is making and that you're failing to grasp. Although the developers could port the apps with "minimal effort," they have no interest in WebOS. The TouchPad is priced the same as an iPad 2, and for better or worse, that is now its competition.

    The iPad 2 has higher quality hardware. The operating system supports the software to actually make it a usable device in the hands of a consumer. If multi-tasking is such a drain on smooth operation, then perhaps going the route of iOS while hardware catches up is actually the best idea? The consumer certainly does not care that the TouchPad has potential or that it truly multi-tasks if there is nothing worthwhile to multi-task. The fact that there is still operational lag in such a powerful machine also devalues the worth of a TouchPad when used for the first time.

    For reference, my girlfriend refuses to buy a WebOS product after seeing just how poor the app support on my Pre- is or even the quality of the hardware (a broken power button, a cracked charging area, dead pixels on the screen, the ear piece has stopped working, etc.). Do you really believe that she will be converted over by the fact that the TouchPad could have those apps if only developers cared?
  13. #53  
    I have an iPad 2. The hardware is amazing, the app catalogue is amazing, the speed is amazing and the device is priced very well. Apple's "iOS" that ties all these great enhancements together though is very subpar. I am completely disappointed in iOS. Even with a large app selection, that gives users a great eye popping holy crap experience; I will be purchasing the TP due to webOS.

    No disrespect to anyone who enjoys these great features, I just do not enjoy how iOS feels as an operating system.

    And by the way, the second video seems to be a much smoother and snappier version of the OS. Great find!
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Hardware and an operating system is useless without the software to run on it. That is the entire point that SnotBoogie is making and that you're failing to grasp. Although the developers could port the apps with "minimal effort," they have no interest in WebOS. The TouchPad is priced the same as an iPad 2, and for better or worse, that is now its competition.

    The iPad 2 has higher quality hardware. The operating system supports the software to actually make it a usable device in the hands of a consumer. If multi-tasking is such a drain on smooth operation, then perhaps going the route of iOS while hardware catches up is actually the best idea? The consumer certainly does not care that the TouchPad has potential or that it truly multi-tasks if there is nothing worthwhile to multi-task. The fact that there is still operational lag in such a powerful machine also devalues the worth of a TouchPad when used for the first time.

    For reference, my girlfriend refuses to buy a WebOS product after seeing just how poor the app support on my Pre- is or even the quality of the hardware (a broken power button, a cracked charging area, dead pixels on the screen, the ear piece has stopped working, etc.). Do you really believe that she will be converted over by the fact that the TouchPad could have those apps if only developers cared?
    Your point can go both ways. Everyone has their own personal reason for purchasing devices, I bolded mine in your post. I will wait for the HP TP. And this is coming from an owner of an iPad 2.
  15. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Hardware and an operating system is useless without the software to run on it. That is the entire point that SnotBoogie is making and that you're failing to grasp. Although the developers could port the apps with "minimal effort," they have no interest in WebOS. The TouchPad is priced the same as an iPad 2, and for better or worse, that is now its competition.

    The iPad 2 has higher quality hardware. The operating system supports the software to actually make it a usable device in the hands of a consumer. If multi-tasking is such a drain on smooth operation, then perhaps going the route of iOS while hardware catches up is actually the best idea? The consumer certainly does not care that the TouchPad has potential or that it truly multi-tasks if there is nothing worthwhile to multi-task. The fact that there is still operational lag in such a powerful machine also devalues the worth of a TouchPad when used for the first time.

    For reference, my girlfriend refuses to buy a WebOS product after seeing just how poor the app support on my Pre- is or even the quality of the hardware (a broken power button, a cracked charging area, dead pixels on the screen, the ear piece has stopped working, etc.). Do you really believe that she will be converted over by the fact that the TouchPad could have those apps if only developers cared?

    What is the point of this post? If you just care about Apps then there is nothing anyone can do to get you to purchase their product outside of Apple.As Leo said yesterday, they need to get into #3 and then make a move to #1 but until they are #3 they cannot compete on the same ground as Apple. You're being an early adopter by getting a touchpad. If you just want apps and you admit like you do that you want an Apple product, why did you make your first post to say this? Shouldn't you be talking about iOS products?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And what tablet isn't doing what every other tablet does? What tablet is really doing the eye-popping "holy crap" stuff that no other tablet can that's out now? Where can I buy it?
    Oh Oh OH!!! I know!!! The HP Touchpad! It does true multitasking like no other device! You can get it at any Walmart or Bestbuy hopefully sometime this month.




    do i get a cookie?
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    Hardware and an operating system is useless without the software to run on it. That is the entire point that SnotBoogie is making and that you're failing to grasp. Although the developers could port the apps with "minimal effort," they have no interest in WebOS. The TouchPad is priced the same as an iPad 2, and for better or worse, that is now its competition.

    The iPad 2 has higher quality hardware. The operating system supports the software to actually make it a usable device in the hands of a consumer. If multi-tasking is such a drain on smooth operation, then perhaps going the route of iOS while hardware catches up is actually the best idea? The consumer certainly does not care that the TouchPad has potential or that it truly multi-tasks if there is nothing worthwhile to multi-task. The fact that there is still operational lag in such a powerful machine also devalues the worth of a TouchPad when used for the first time.

    For reference, my girlfriend refuses to buy a WebOS product after seeing just how poor the app support on my Pre- is or even the quality of the hardware (a broken power button, a cracked charging area, dead pixels on the screen, the ear piece has stopped working, etc.). Do you really believe that she will be converted over by the fact that the TouchPad could have those apps if only developers cared?
    As other posters have said, you seem enamored with metal housing and a pelethora of apps you love. That's great, there is a product out already for you; the touchpad is pointless to you then, though.

    I am sure it sounds silly to you but I can't think of any feature the iPad, or any tablet, could possibly have that would make me use itunes or install it on my pc. That's a deal-killer for me.
    Maybe if the device was running a real desktop OS with kindle-like battery life and had a holographic display or something for $200, but that will never happen.

    Having a fast, robust, portable web browser that doesn't require itunes IS better than thousands of cool apps, to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    Oh Oh OH!!! I know!!! The HP Touchpad! It does true multitasking like no other device! You can get it at any Walmart or Bestbuy hopefully sometime this month.




    do i get a cookie?
    Yeah I know. Even as a webos fan (adding "boy" to that word is really censored? wow), I can admit webOS's multitasking is not quite the super fantastic amazing system seller others would. Android can multitask, albeit less elegantly.

    There is no tablet OS with features that set it miles away from the others. It all comes down to personal preferences on the small differences.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So software. Your answer is software.

    Any of those programs could be ported to work on any tablet with minimal effort if the developer chose to.
    But they are not ported. Could and Are are not equivalent. Software is the what you're using the device for. i'm not sitting around fondling an OS. it's a tool for using software, for being productive. I don't use my computer and just play around in folders. I run software. but the fact remains the fact that they could does not mean they are or ever will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I guess I didn't put enough emphasis on the words CAN DO in my original statement.
    I'm not judging the video on what it hypothetically can do. Were i to buy a tablet I judge it on whats available. I mean feel free to argue that any tablet "can" run Garageband but i think you'll have a hard time actually doing it.The original pre has the ability to run an iphone app IF it's ported. But in two years most have never been ported. No red laser or anything, netflix, no sling player i don't think. So the fact that the hardware is capable does not mean that it reality it actually does those things. It does not. I'm not concerned with potential. If i'm buying i'm buying on what it actually does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm asking for tablet hardware or tablet OS's that can do something that is substantially amazing that other tablets simply do not have the capability to do, due to hardware or OS limitations.
    well you're responding to my comment and my comment was about EVERYTHING a tablet can do. Parse it how you want but the software doesn't run on webos or android or qnx. Also you did not specify hardware. Either way I'm not judging a tablet based solely or even largely on hardware specs or an OS. I care about what it actually does. bottom line. If i want to do netflix or monitor my patients bloodwork or create music it doesn't matter me that you have a 1080p camera or an hdmi port cause that's not what i care about. None of that plays netflix or monitors patients.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's like the silly arguments that PS3's are superior to Xbox's because PS3 has God of War.
    Its not silly if God of War is the most important factor in a gaming system to you. The same way people buy Xbox's for Halo or used to buy Playstations for GTA, people that want to play Call of Duty tend not to buy Wii's. But video game systems are not cell phones. Truth is, you posed the question and you CAN NOT do any of the things i mentioned on a touchpad as of this writing. You can avoid it all you want. You asked what you can do? I gave you plenty of things. You just don't like hearing the that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    ...then my original hypothesis, ...
    I'm not really concerned with your original hypothesis. I don't know what it is. I didn't comment on it. I made a statement. And you jumped on me and you quoted me. And posed questions to me. Then when you didn't like the answer you changed the question and tried to limit your original question to just hardware. Fine you main measure is hardware. I don't care about the hardware as much. If hardware was the only concern it would just be a spec war and maybe everybody would have EVOs. But feel free to offer an example of a comparable video of a android tablet, touchpad, or playbook actually, not potentially, monitoring patients of record music from a guitar like garageband, or interfacing with a sythesizer. Nobody said it's impossible for hardware reasons. I said it's not actually doing it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  19. #59  
    laggy, and doesn't register taps at times.

    I hope this is a early version, but who knows.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    <Lots of stuff.>
    I'm not trying to argue or "jump on you."

    Most of us are here in this forum because we are early adopter types and we are more or as interested in what the touchpad can and will do in the future than will do on launch day. That's what we come here to discuss.

    Nothing is going to compete with the software library of iOS for at least a year, probably more, if ever. If everyone felt like you do, that software is all that matters (instead of OS ability or hardware) there would not be a reason to have an ounce of interest in anything but an iPad and iPad's would be the only tablet worth buying (which you clearly feel is the case).

    Obviously you are not in that category, which is fine. I'm just glad the perfect tablet for you with all the software you seem to want already available and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions