Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disappointed. It's too laggy. People saying otherwise are delusional or have never used other tablets, even the iPad 1 runs smoother than the current builds of WebOS (running on much better hardware).
    I believe there was incredible lag, glitches and unresponsiveness. I hope this is due to this being an older version of the OS build. I have an iPad 2 and there is certainly no comparison when it comes to pure speed performance, scrolling and responsiveness. My iPad2 is blazing fast. These video demos don't bother me though; the real test will be when the device is in my hands.

I do think this is just due to the nature of webOS and web written apps. The load is going to be slower than native applications. Which makes me question how accurate are your pictures and video libraries going to be? Synergy is going to connect all your media. Will I need a constant internet connection to view all my recent media in the picture and video app?
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Disappointed. It's too laggy. People saying otherwise are delusional or have never used other tablets, even the iPad 1 runs smoother than the current builds of WebOS (running on much better hardware).
    Wow!! You got to use the current build of WebOS??!! I'm totally impressed!!! What or who is your connection?
    /sarcasm

You mentioned "delusional", right?
    seriously... you have to think about this...

the TP shown was at COMPUTEX may/june 2011... not january 2011...
    and this is a sandisk playing around with the TP.

do you really think that sandisk or any hardware company/developer would be playing/testing a TP with 6 month old OS version with their memory cards?

i have no proof it's not beta from January... or a feb, mar, apr build... but if you really think about it... what is more likely... a developer be walkling around with a newer build or older build? I've done some development with PC companies in the past where I don't play with old obsolete builds... especially so close to release.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    someone else mentioned in the original thread this video was posted in that it looked to be an earlier beta of the o/s since the native apps are missing the darker theme.
    The demo person was doing alot of phantom clicks on the screen. And the error on the web browser was a unable to resolve host error. So don't get your panties in a bunch over that one.

I still don't see a need for a touchpad for myself. Its cool. But im in front of a PC almost 24/7. Having a touchpad is just a expensive lazy toy. Its a great product. But very niche for myself.

All these videos make me want one, but ill use it as much as I use my 1400$ 3d laptop. Barely.
    i can guarantee hp gave separate build to partners, especially to lock out any surprises for launch.

But as others have said, if u dont like what u see in these recent vids, dont plan to buy.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wow!! You got to use the current build of WebOS??!! I'm totally impressed!!! What or who is your connection?
    /sarcasm

You mentioned "delusional", right?
    Is it really making you feel smart to answer such a pitiful thing? Of course, by "current build" I meant nothing more than "latest build we've seen", of course, grabbing yourself from an obvious ambiguity is easier than actually acknowledge a problem. All demos have shown a sluggish laggy Touchpad.
    It was laggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I'm not a 'naysayer', but i was curious. what about this video moved you? i mean there's plenty of other really great demos that represent the TP much nicer than this one. just curious.
    There were a few things, none of them really earth-shattering though (keep in mind, I only went from 75% to 95%, that's not much of a change). In about the best order I can think of:

1. Watching WebOS user interface switching between apps, and comparing to any of the offerings out there reminded me of why I like WebOS better.
    2. All of the other demos I've seen were very much staged. This one seemed much more "impromptu".
    3. I didn't see an unacceptable lag (yes, I saw some lag, but it seemed to me to be primarily on "connected" apps - those are expected to have a lag, they go over the internet).
    4. Again, somewhat minor, but affects the decision making process - I thought the magazine's implementation was very nice - moving from 3 columns in landscape mode to 2 columns in portrait mode. That's the type of thing I hope to see a lot of in content based apps.
    Is it really making you feel smart to answer such a pitiful thing? Of course, by "current build" I meant nothing more than "latest build we've seen", of course, grabbing yourself from an obvious ambiguity is easier than actually acknowledge a problem. All demos have shown a sluggish laggy Touchpad.
    And that was my point. None of us have seen the "current build", so why bring it up?
    And nah, pointing out the obvious doesn't "make me feel smart". I would hope though, that at a minimum it would make some folks a bit slower in trying to make others feel like they're "delusional".
    hint hint.
    And that was my point. None of us have seen the "current build", so why bring it up?
    And nah, pointing out the obvious doesn't "make me feel smart". I would hope though, that at a minimum it would make some folks a bit slower in trying to make others feel like they're "delusional".
    hint hint.
    Saying this particular build isn't laggy is delusional. Assuming this is an old build doesn't hold much ground.
    Saying this particular build isn't laggy is delusional. Assuming this is an old build doesn't hold much ground.
    Specifically, which nonconnected apps were laggy?

On the connected apps which were laggy, please use your extensive expertise with WebOS and tell us, were they laggy because of the connection, the particular app, or the connection that device had.

Before you start throwing around adjectives like "delusional" and "smart", build a little credibility with us.

Until then, I'll happily join the "delusionals" and state emphatically, I saw no unaccpetable lag in this demo.
    Specifically, which nonconnected apps were laggy?

On the connected apps which were laggy, please use your extensive expertise with WebOS and tell us, were they laggy because of the connection, the particular app, or the connection that device had.

Before you start throwing around adjectives like "delusional" and "smart", build a little credibility with us.

Until then, I'll happily join the "delusionals" and state emphatically, I saw no unaccpetable lag in this demo.
    1) Why am I restricted to "nonconnected" apps? However, even the card view lagged, while switching apps (specially bad at 2:50).

2) The Mail has been pathetically laggy since they first introduced on the Touchpad, at how many frames/s is it running when you drag the panels?

3) Changing pages on the magazine.

4) The contact app is depressing.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    if the lag at 2:50 is what turns you off from the TP then you wont be happy with any *pad. Show me ANY tablet that can run that many simultaneous apps and only have a 1/8 sec delay. I for one am impressed with it. I dont need 10 apps running at one time but its nice to know that i can (i could even have 50 apps open)
    I have the iPad 1 and it lags terribly since I've upgraded to the OS version that allows multitasking. Switching between apps takes 1-2 seconds. I've also had to manually close all the apps I'm not using just to get it to run at a decent speed. Adding the ability to "multitask" seriously revealed how underpowered the iPad 1 is. You can't have more than 2-3 apps in "saved state" before it gets really laggy (>2 secs to switch apps).
    Last edited by empathyrus; 06/01/2011 at 08:37 PM.
    1) Why am I restricted to "nonconnected" apps? However, even the card view lagged, while switching apps (specially bad at 2:50).

2) The Mail has been pathetically laggy since they first introduced on the Touchpad, at how many frames/s is it running when you drag the panels?

It sounds like you've convinced yourself not to buy it. Great. So then why are you here? To convince others?
    I think some of you folks need to go view the other video thread which shows the TouchPad running considerably faster. This is likely due to the more precise methods by which the individual was touching the display. In both videos it is clear that the version of Video/Photo app used is still beta. There are some obvious bugs with it. The other video showed very fast and smooth scrolling in the launcher page. Fast and smooth scrolling of the cards, including as he moved it up and down, then tossed a card off. The email app is faster than the one's I've used so far on webOS, and the first video shows the email app very quickly rendering HTML emails...much faster than my Pre+ with 2.1 on it.

I think some folks here are just TRYING to find negatives about this device, despite the obvious beta nature of the apps and OS being demonstrated. I wouldn't be shocked if the Beta 5 that Derek was showing us last week was actually a month or two old. Let's wait and find out.

Considering everything else, I think the second video was really impressive, more so than this one.

To answer your first question - because it could be the connection that's causing the lagginess.

The very fact that you have to ask pretty much takes care of the "credibility issue". Sounds like this isn't the device for you. Perhaps there will still be enough of us that like it though.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmil1212 View Post
    To be honest, one look at windows 8, and i'm wondering when i can dump the ipad for it. I never really considered the Touchpad as viable. You knew it was coming though.
    Then why are you posting on a webOS forum?
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Here is the other Computex TouchPad video from Tinhte
    TP + P3 = synergized
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast